The Cannabis Corner

PFiDC

The Cannabis Corner

Postby PFiDC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 am

It's not just what GMOs do to the food. It's what the extra pesticides (roundup) are doing to the soil beneath it.
And some GMOs lead to being able to use different types of soil compared to before.

Its all a balance that still needs to be understood better. Shameless plug for more money for research.
So they can saturate a different soil with chemicals. Excellent.

We, as a species, have EFFED over our soil for a long time. Industry farming has left huge tracts of land (monty python) basically unworkable due to monoculture farming. Now we are adding GMO to the mix which we douse with super amounts of roundup. Now the soil is devoid of nutrients AND full of chemicals. Great. That wont have any affect on ground water at all whether it be now or 100 years from now.

Like I said before, I am in the "its too late now" camp. There are too many of us and without industry farming and GMOs people will starve. Either because they can't afford to buy food or because there wouldn't be enough of it.

This is one of the reasons we are buying a farm and husbanding it with permaculture. That, IMO, is the only "real way" to "fight the man" on this issue.

I am with you on more research though. Independent of the FDA and Monsanto of course...

PFiDC

The Cannabis Corner

Postby PFiDC » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:47 am

Instead of lobbying the gov to put labels on food, we should be lobbying for more agriculture research.

Don't let Monsanto be the only one funding the research.
I think the labels are a good first step but the research should certainly be favored at this point.

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:54 am

Oh and on topic, Im all for legalization, just keep it out of he hands of minors until the effects of young people smoking is better understood. But I think that part of all laws being considered.
there's a "wait and see" theme here with your posts, which is very scientisty of you.

and while sure, i agree with you conceptually, i'll ask you this...for situations like severe epilepsy, severe autism, cancer or anything terminal, would you still say it needs more research before it can be given to young people?

at worst, there is a drop in long term cognitive function by using regularly before your brain is fully developed (though even this is debatable). and the drop doesn't make you someone unable to hold a job and take care of yourself. it's minor. so for children, for instance, with severe epilepsy, who will either use CBD oil (and other meds) and cross their fingers, or be killed by their FDA-approved meds in conjunction with their violent seizures, they 100% should be using that cannabis oil. there's no question.

the scientist speak regarding cannabis is usually pretty reasonable, but certain contexts where they pull the, "we need more research" card, they must not realize how ridiculous it makes them look. as if this isn't a substance that has been in use for thousands of years. you aren't an example of this type of instance, though. you were specifically talking about something within reason.
Last edited by shmenguin on Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:55 am

Instead of lobbying the gov to put labels on food, we should be lobbying for more agriculture research.

Don't let Monsanto be the only one funding the research.
I think the labels are a good first step but the research should certainly be favored at this point.
i agree. it's very easy to avoid this type of food with just a little research and a lot of will power. labels are nice, but we are able to take care of it as informed consumers.

obhave

The Cannabis Corner

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:09 am

Oh and on topic, Im all for legalization, just keep it out of he hands of minors until the effects of young people smoking is better understood. But I think that part of all laws being considered.
there's a "wait and see" theme here with your posts, which is very scientisty of you.

and while sure, i agree with you conceptually, i'll ask you this...for situations like severe epilepsy, severe autism, cancer or anything terminal, would you still say it needs more research before it can be given to young people?

at worst, there is a drop in long term cognitive function by using regularly before your brain is fully developed (though even this is debatable). and the drop doesn't make you someone unable to hold a job and take care of yourself. it's minor. so for children, for instance, with severe epilepsy, who will either use CBD oil (and other meds) and cross their fingers, or be killed by their FDA-approved meds in conjunction with their violent seizures, they 100% should be using that cannabis oil. there's no question.

the scientist speak regarding cannabis is usually pretty reasonable, but certain contexts where they pull the, "we need more research" card, they must not realize how ridiculous it makes them look. as if this isn't a substance that has been in use for thousands of years. you aren't an example of this type of instance, though. you were specifically talking about something within reason.
I'm a scientist, what can you expect!

If there is a medical reason, I dont see a problem. Because the benefits would outweigh any possible negative impacts on cognitive development.

In terms of more research, although its been used over thousands of years, they doesn't mean we understand every impact on the brain. I think we have debunked many myths about it, but it is extremely unethical to say to the world that science understands it all. That's why scientists say more studies need to be done. I think its reasonable, but then again I'm a little biased. ;)

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:19 am

Source of the post In terms of more research, although its been used over thousands of years, they doesn't mean we understand every impact on the brain. I think we have debunked many myths about it, but it is extremely unethical to say to the world that science understands it all. That's why scientists say more studies need to be done. I think its reasonable, but then again I'm a little biased.
more research does need to be done...but it should be skewed heavily towards the benefits instead of the traditional (and federally mandatory) research into its downsides.

right now, there is plenty of talk of the powers of cannabis. it is proven to kill cancer cells in mice, for instance. but without research, all this does is inspire people to go smoke a bunch, when really, that's not likely to do anything. they are injecting the extract right into the tumors. high doses. not having them eat a brownie.

i think this will happen in the next few years, but there needs to be a set of guidelines for how to best use it as medicine. like using X strain with X percent THC and X percent CBD. and create an 80-90% THC/CBD extract that's taken orally, on specific intervals.

obhave

The Cannabis Corner

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:25 am

Definitely in agreement. As long as there is still research on the other side as well. Need to have full understanding of all aspects, but the benefits side definitely needs a greater portion of money at this time.

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16 pm

Leonhart is just a mouth piece. Someone this stupid isn't driving policy.

FF to 2:50 for fun stuff.

Just watched this video.

How da fook does someone like her get to her position?

Who the hell is the puppet master?
i linked the wrong video. this one is even worse.

Willie Kool

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:17 pm

The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults

http://www.amjmed.com/article/S0002-934 ... 3/fulltext
we found that subjects who reported using marijuana in the past month had lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR, as well as smaller waist circumference and higher levels of HDL-C.

Jofa Guy

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:18 pm

The Impact of Marijuana Use on Glucose, Insulin, and Insulin Resistance among US Adults

we found that subjects who reported using marijuana in the past month had lower levels of fasting insulin and HOMA-IR, as well as smaller waist circumference and higher levels of HDL-C.
I have also heard about this. In a way, this ties to your reply in the Randomness thread. I believe that people who indulge in marijuana, especially daily, have a positive correlation with thinner waists. Maybe its because they won't drink as much?

Willie Kool

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:22 pm

I have also heard about this. In a way, this ties to your reply in the Randomness thread. I believe that people who indulge in marijuana, especially daily, have a positive correlation with thinner waists. Maybe its because they won't drink as much?
I think that's an overlooked (in the articles I've read) but obvious correlation. Less beer, thinner waist.

Jofa Guy

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Jofa Guy » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:23 pm

Yeah I mean that's what I've personally seen with my friends. I wonder if Cannabis causes your metabolism to increase as well? I would think it does

Willie Kool

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Willie Kool » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:32 pm

http://www.vanderbiltpoliticalreview.co ... mon-sense/
It sounds like a stupid dieting infomercial – eat more and lose weight! – but studies continue to show that marijuana users, despite eating an additional 600 calories per day, are less likely to be obese or suffer from diabetes.

A 2011 study in the American Journal of Epidemiology compared obesity rates between marijuana users and non-users in two nationally representative surveys. In one, 22% of Americans who did not use marijuana were obese, compared to 14% of marijuana users. In the other, 25.3% of non-users were obese, compared to 15.2% of users. The association between marijuana usage and a lower body mass index remained even after controlling for age, sex, and tobacco use. Furthermore, an experiment in which rats were injected with cannabis showed that marijuana caused significant weight loss compared to the control group.

Sarcastic

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Sarcastic » Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:29 pm

I don't smoke weed anymore and have zero interest, even though I believe in legalization of all drugs. On the bright side, I could theoretically buy crack and heroin a few blocks from here. I just can't imagine why there are shootings....
This.

I've moved on to designer drugs and research Chem... Nootropics, dmt, etc

All of its technically legal. I take gbl to sleep and that's technically legal...

There is research Chem sites that sell all sorts of peptides that I've experimented with

Found out a cousin of mine I was close with as a child Is now a heroin addict a couple months ago...

I know if she just knew about Ibogaine and what it could do for her, she can beat it.. But welp that's illegal

Testosterone/Masteron and GH are basically a god send
And not harsh at all but God forbid men in this country actually look and feel like men

**** the war on drugs... Gets me so rustled

Meanwhile **** devil's workmen Monsanto get away with giving me and my family ibs and auto immune diseases
I don't even know what all those things are. Didn't you once say you were into serious drugs at one time, then found a way to quit? You're not afraid to take this new stuff? I'm sure you researched the crap out of these, but what exactly do they do for you and what possible side effects can they have?

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 07, 2015 1:13 pm

i love earl blumenauer thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiis much

wow...prohibitionists still trotting out the schizophrenia card. funny how, in the last century, marijuana use has skyrocketed and schizophrenia rates haven't changed.

Viva la Ben

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu May 07, 2015 1:27 pm

Texas moves closer to legalization.

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/ne ... -for-.html

Shyster

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Shyster » Thu May 07, 2015 1:28 pm

I think it's stupid cannabis is goin to take so long to be legalized. I live in tx and we will be the last to legalize
I'm going to go with Utah.

columbia

The Cannabis Corner

Postby columbia » Thu May 07, 2015 1:28 pm

This thread title cracks me every time it pops up.

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Thu May 07, 2015 1:34 pm

Texas moves closer to legalization.

http://www.ksat.com/content/pns/ksat/ne ... -for-.html
by all accounts it's gonna get obliterated when it moves to the floor. but it's a start.

and my money is on nebraska for last state to hold out.

Willie Kool

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Willie Kool » Thu May 07, 2015 8:30 pm

This thread title cracks me every time it pops up.
:mrgreen: I thought it sounded appropriate. I later found out that it's also the name of the first government-run cannabis shop in the US.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... juana-shop

shafnutz05

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu May 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Viva la Ben

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Viva la Ben » Wed May 13, 2015 11:58 am

PA senate passes medical marijuana bill 40-7

http://readingeagle.com/news/article/pe ... =mobileart

columbia

The Cannabis Corner

Postby columbia » Wed May 13, 2015 12:03 pm

How's that bad back doing, WK?

shmenguin

The Cannabis Corner

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 13, 2015 12:07 pm

so the house still has to pass it, and the governor has to sign it. the latter won't be a problem. i think the house will do the right thing as well, considering the overwhelming support from both sides in the senate.

the bill it self is ok. not great. you'll only be able to buy oil form, and it will be from a state run facility. meaning they're probably going to throttle the THC levels. they'll also tightly monitor your dosages, which is, again, THC throttling. the approved conditions are pretty decent. it includes chronic pain, which is a sign of a fairly liberal policy. so that's good.

Factorial

The Cannabis Corner

Postby Factorial » Wed May 13, 2015 1:37 pm

PA senate passes medical marijuana bill 40-7

http://readingeagle.com/news/article/pe ... =mobileart
The newest bill includes tighter controls to track transactions and an expanded list of eligible medical conditions, including diabetes, Crohn's disease and chronic or intractable pain that has proven otherwise untreatable. It also expands the methods of delivery to include vaporization along with oils, pills, liquids, gels, ointments and tinctures. Edible products and smoking it would not be allowed.

:thumbdown: