How to amplify WiFi signal?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:11 am

I just spent 45 minutes trying to educate myself about extenders, boosters and stuff - and I don't think I am any smarter, so I just ask here:

Our house has cable internet with one router. AFAIK, only one cable outlet in the whole house (the rest has been disconnected or switched to satellite - which I don't use anymore anyway). The outlet is not in the most ideal place (corner of dining area in the kitchen).

Next to the router, I am able to get maybe 50MBps for the 2.x GHz network and 120MBps for the 5 GHz network. We need to get stronger signal to the room that is farthest from the router (for Zoom meetings, because the room offers the best privacy). 5 GHz network does not reach there, and I am getting less than 10 MBps for the 2.x GHz network there (say 6-7 most of the time).

What is the simplest, cheapest solution? Preferably with link to Amazon/Walmart etc. where to buy it?

Huge thanks for any tips!!

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:34 am

Google Wifi mesh router works very well in my experience.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 am

We've had similar discussions in the IT thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22&start=2075

What kind of router do you have? That's probably your biggest issue, and if so, using a wireless repeater may not be the most effective way to deal with it. What ISP do you have, and what are your internet speeds supposed to be?

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:43 am

I've been looking into mesh systems.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:11 am

We use Eero and that's worked well for us.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:14 pm

We've had similar discussions in the IT thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=22&start=2075

What kind of router do you have? That's probably your biggest issue, and if so, using a wireless repeater may not be the most effective way to deal with it. What ISP do you have, and what are your internet speeds supposed to be?
Router/modem: NETGEAR N600 (8x4) WiFi DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Router (C3700) (

Code: Select all

https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Certified-Xfinity-Comcast-Spectrum/dp/B00IF0JAYE
)

Cox Communications Cable, and I think I should be getting more than the 50+MBPS on 2.4 and 120 MBPS on 5 GHz. Tried to play with channels - no big improvement (no surprise because I live on 3 forested acres and so neighbors are not an issue).

Between extenders and mesh systems - which gives me a greater chance the signal will be stronger? I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to be done with this - though I do not need "seamlessly walking through rooms on the same network" (the computer will be either in room A or in room B).

And a quick question on mesh systems: I usually see "3 packs". I presume unit 1 will be connected through ethernet with the main modem, while units 2&3 will communicate with unit 1 via WiFi, right? (as I said, I have only one cable outlet in the house leading to the single modem/router)

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:25 pm

)

Cox Communications Cable, and I think I should be getting more than the 50+MBPS on 2.4 and 120 MBPS on 5 GHz. Tried to play with channels - no big improvement (no surprise because I live on 3 forested acres and so neighbors are not an issue).

Between extenders and mesh systems - which gives me a greater chance the signal will be stronger? I'd rather pay a few extra dollars to be done with this - though I do not need "seamlessly walking through rooms on the same network" (the computer will be either in room A or in room B).

And a quick question on mesh systems: I usually see "3 packs". I presume unit 1 will be connected through ethernet with the main modem, while units 2&3 will communicate with unit 1 via WiFi, right? (as I said, I have only one cable outlet in the house leading to the single modem/router)
I am not a fan of wireless routers that have no external antennas, because the signal is always ****. IMO, you'd probably benefit from simply disabling the wireless on your cable modem, and buying a new router and using it in Wireless Access Point mode. The new router would be hardwired directly into your cable modem, and your wireless devices would then connect into the wireless signal from the router. See my replies above for routers.

As far as mesh systems go, I honestly can't help much here. I don't know anyone who has one, and have never needed one. The one thing to look out for is if the mesh system supported a wireless backbone. I'm not a fan of it, but it's the only way you'd be able to connect each node without running ethernet between the two. If you went this route, you'd basically do the same as what I mentioned above - disable the wireless on your cable modem, hardwire the new router to your modem, and then place the satellite hubs in between the area you're having issues and where the cable modem is located.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:09 pm

It might be worth your while to call an electrician to run CAT 5 to that room from where you keep your router/modem. Then put a second router (preferably the same make and model) and use that as a wireless access point (with wired access as well, naturally). I had that done a couple of years ago, and we have ample coverage and wired PCs/PS4 for gaming, uh office works stuff.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:23 pm

I'm having major problems as well.

Someone tell me more about mesh/eero please. @tifosi77

I have a FIOS unit that I assume is both router and modem. It connects via coax and ethernet cord.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:57 pm

I ran ethernet to every room in my house, and will always recommend going that route if possible. **** wireless.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:46 pm

I ran ethernet to every room in my house, and will always recommend going that route if possible. **** wireless.
I may end up putting my router in the basement near my distributor panel and going this route. Wireless is still used for phones and such, so I'll put the extender I bought up on the first floor somewhere. It has the ability to act as an access point through Ethernet, which is nice

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:53 pm

I guess I use the AI Mesh for my ASUS routers that NTP66 suggested and should get sales commissions on back in the IT thread. I don't see any real difference than what we have at work - a campus Wifi network that switches you to the closest WAP as you move around a building/campus. Maybe I'm not doing it right? :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:55 pm

ASUS is top notch, and yeah, AIMesh does seamless roaming.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:48 pm

)

I am not a fan of wireless routers that have no external antennas, because the signal is always ****. IMO, you'd probably benefit from simply disabling the wireless on your cable modem, and buying a new router and using it in Wireless Access Point mode. The new router would be hardwired directly into your cable modem, and your wireless devices would then connect into the wireless signal from the router. See my replies above for routers.

As far as mesh systems go, I honestly can't help much here. I don't know anyone who has one, and have never needed one. The one thing to look out for is if the mesh system supported a wireless backbone. I'm not a fan of it, but it's the only way you'd be able to connect each node without running ethernet between the two. If you went this route, you'd basically do the same as what I mentioned above - disable the wireless on your cable modem, hardwire the new router to your modem, and then place the satellite hubs in between the area you're having issues and where the cable modem is located.
Awesome. Thanks!!
So that I don't have to go through 80+ pages in the IT discussion - what is *THE* decent dependable dual band router I should buy as "step 1" to see if the signal improves?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:50 pm

These would be my top 2 choices, depending on what you’re willing to spend (refurbished is good, too, BTW):

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:10 pm

Just out of curiosity - as cheap as I am - what's wrong with this one, about 50% cheaper? It even got JD Powah award!! :D

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm

That router is probably more comparable to the AC1900 looking at the specs. I certainly wouldn’t choose it over the 2900.

I like TP-Link, so it may work well for you. If you get it on amazon, you’ll always have the option of returning it if it does suck.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:54 pm

I have one of these in my office upstairs and it seems to work quite well.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/netgear-po ... lsrc=aw.ds
Convert your home electrical system to an internet network with this NETGEAR Powerline 2000. It plugs into any outlet and accepts a network connection, and it lets you access up to Gigabit wired speeds in any room. This NETGEAR Powerline 2000 includes a standard outlet, so it doesn't even keep you from accessing electricity.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:17 am

Can you have 2 wireless routers going at the same time?

I have an old wireless router no longer needed, but I think it might give me a little more range because the 3 in 1 combo I have doesn't have external antennas so I think that hurts the range.

Rather than spending new money on an extender or a new wireless router and disabling the built in one, I was going to try hooking up ol' reliable for some of the smart devices having issue getting a strong connection.

For reference...

I have this:

Ol' reliable:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:33 am

These would be my top 2 choices, depending on what you’re willing to spend (refurbished is good, too, BTW):

i bought the top one and it works great. i get wifi in my house where i never did before. someone also mentioned th MOCA things but i didnt need to do this.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:41 am

We use Eero and that's worked well for us.
Have Eero as well and it's been absolutely perfect for our needs. Have wifi basically everywhere on our property.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:42 am

I have an old wireless router no longer needed, but I think it might give me a little more range because the 3 in 1 combo I have doesn't have external antennas so I think that hurts the range.

Rather than spending new money on an extender or a new wireless router and disabling the built in one, I was going to try hooking up ol' reliable for some of the smart devices having issue getting a strong connection.

For reference...

I have this:

Ol' reliable:
You can configure that Nighthawk in Wifi Access Point mode, but you need to run an ethernet cable between both routers for that backbone. I don't think it supports wireless back to your existing router.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:42 am

I did a Google mesh router and mesh point and the WiFi in my house is better than it's ever been by like a multiple of ten

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:44 am

I upgraded my AC1900, and now run this:

Probably overkill for most (incredible coverage and speeds), and if so, this would be my next choice:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:29 am

That's basically how we have our Eero set up. We have an older TP-LINK AC1750 Archer that works as the hub for the 2 wired connections (both PlayStations) and broadcasts two different WiFi signals (2.4 and 5) with hidden SSIDs, and the Eero connects to the modem separately and broadcasts a single 5g signal.

Not that I think it actually accomplishes anything, but the work computers are the only devices we normally connect to the 5g signal from the Archer. Everything else on wireless hooks into the Eero. (We reserve the 2.4 signal for guests, and our printer, so the the three times a year one of us prints something we have to go through the rigmarole of switching wireless networks.... the horror)
Last edited by tifosi77 on Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.