#WeAre
Difference is, we know what to expect.

DigitalGypsy66

Penn State Football Thread 2020-2021 season

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:51 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:56 pm

Setting aside this was a coaching loss, that never should have been ruled a TD on the field

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:58 pm

H2P

#WeAre
Did Pitt cover? :wink:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:04 pm

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:08 pm

It baffles me that there's no camera over the pylon. I understand the ball hit out before it hit the pylon, but the nose could have crossed the GL so I understand it being upheld. But if there was a camera over the GL then there'd be no "ifs". Just seems dumb for 2020 to not have that angle at every game

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:11 pm

Honest question...

Did PSU just out Pitt, Pitt in the way that game was lost? Like that was Pitt on steroids, right?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:11 pm

No. No one out Pitts Pitt. But we know how you feel

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:16 pm

2 years ago, Franklin talked about being elite. Well, it starts with him and just like in year 1, his questionable decision making continues. First off, the undisciplined play -- over 100 yards in penalties. That's pathetic. Encouraging a vanilla offensive scheme for pretty much most of the game -- that was awful. They outgained and outpossessed IU by at least 2 to 1 in both departments. Then in the biggest coaching smarts move of the game, you kneel on the damn ball with 1:45 left and make IU use their one remaining timeout. If you do that, the worst the clock will be if no first down and by going for it on 4th down is :12-:15. No way IU can get 80+ yards in that time. But...if you're going to be dumb enough to run a normal play, make damn sure to tell Clifford and any RB that IU is probably going to let you score so get the necessary yards for the first down and then pull a Brian Westbrook. Good coaches don't f that situation up. As soon as Ford scored, I knew this one would become unnecessarily tight (and thought that my IU +7 was back in play). This game was won on defense with 1:47 left and the windbreakers on the sideline f'd it up. Should have never gotten to OT or have it come down to a replay review. I mean, hell, I was yelling QB draw on the game-tying play in regulation. Not sure how the DC doesn't make sure he has a spy in that situation.

As for the replay review, I don't think there was an angle that was definitive. If they had called it 'no good' on the field, then they couldn't reverse that either. Normally, I'd certainly whine about the Big Ten conspiracy but I don't think we have that here. At full speed, that's an incredibly difficult call to make, especially when it's coming right at you and you have to potentially get out of the way of getting bulldozed. He called it a TD on the field and there wasn't enough to overturn it.

So, on to mediocrity once again. Not as mediocre and below-average as our Pitt friends but a couple stages above that.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sat Oct 24, 2020 8:55 pm

Fire Franklin. And it was short, but it should have never gotten to that point if you just run out the clock when you had the chance.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:47 am

Schmuck

Orlando Penguin

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:31 am

Can definitely sell that program though!

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:52 am

Honest question...

Did PSU just out Pitt, Pitt in the way that game was lost? Like that was Pitt on steroids, right?
When penn state went up 21-20 and then turned the ball over on downs, I looked at my wife and said "thats the difference between pitt and penn state. Penn state finds a way to win, pitt finds a way to lose."

That was certainly as Pitt-like as I've seen from Penn state.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:55 am

Honestly the game should have been like 45-7. Not a fan of the call, I dont think it is physically possible to have broken the plane based on the way the pylon fell and I think the ball clearly touched the white first, but the game never should have been close and then when it looked like they finally overcame their own stupidity to take the lead, they doubled down.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:08 am

Honestly the game should have been like 45-7. Not a fan of the call, I dont think it is physically possible to have broken the plane based on the way the pylon fell and I think the ball clearly touched the white first, but the game never should have been close and then when it looked like they finally overcame their own stupidity to take the lead, they doubled down.
This is one of those games where if one of about 100 different things had gone differently, PSU wins. Three missed FG's (especially the 25 yard one they tried to hand us before half- not really the 57 yarder although they probably had time to try to get a few more yards and a spike, it was good from 55). Mind numbing decision to throw Levis in for random Wildcat formations (took a delay of game penalty and lost a fumble). Couple bad INT's by Cliff.

I still hang the loss squarely on the coaching staff for not making sure Ford knew to take a knee and not **** score, but if the D which had played well all day had made a **** play on that last drive or OT, this is a win.

Franklin needs to own this one. Instead, Clifford's out there shouldering it. I get that he wasn't great and it's his job as QB and leader but.... I don't put this on him.

https://www.centredaily.com/sports/coll ... 90152.html

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:22 am

I think he was short, but I'm also weirdly glad they gave it to him. We deserved to lose that game, imo, because you had it won. It was over. There was only one way you could lose, minus a fumbled center/qb exchange, and you weren't smart enough to understand what that one way was. You're opponent understood it, and banked on you not. He was right.

Also would've been nice to have one more timeout at the end of regulation. He was about 2 yards short. One more TO probably gets you those 2 yards...although this is admittedly hindsight coaching.

Also would've been nice to have Micah Parsons roaming the middle on those 2 2-point conversions.

Meh

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:26 am

Meanwhile Franklin is out there throwing ford under the bus.

I have a hard time blaming the defense. Theyre on the sidelines celebrating their win then all of the sudden they have to come back out for another high leverage drive... Can't be easy to do that

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sun Oct 25, 2020 10:42 am

I have a hard time blaming the defense. Theyre on the sidelines celebrating their win then all of the sudden they have to come back out for another high leverage drive... Can't be easy to do that
What did Franklin say? I only saw that he said something like 'its my job to make sure everyone understood the situation' or something like that.

If he is really throwing Ford under the bus, then eff that guy, in particular. It's pretty obvious that they didn't discuss it. You'd like to think that the player himself would have enough situational awareness to say 'are we taking a knee? No? Ok...but I don't want to score, right?'... But it is the coaches job, and even Clifford's job, to be communicating that 100 times before the ball is snapped. They didn't...and I think it was because they didn't even think of the possibility.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:08 am

What did Franklin say? I only saw that he said something like 'its my job to make sure everyone understood the situation' or something like that.

If he is really throwing Ford under the bus, then eff that guy, in particular. It's pretty obvious that they didn't discuss it. You'd like to think that the player himself would have enough situational awareness to say 'are we taking a knee? No? Ok...but I don't want to score, right?'... But it is the coaches job, and even Clifford's job, to be communicating that 100 times before the ball is snapped. They didn't...and I think it was because they didn't even think of the possibility.
I think his initial comment was something like "we discussed it". He walked it back a bit later on.

At any rate, I've played 0 downs of football in my life and I would have known what to do there. That kid should have known better. Still, coach's job to make sure.

I was yelling for them to go for 2. I think they were worried they'd give up a TD and Indiana would go for the win. I would have rather seen them attempt to go up by 9 and end it.

Nuge

Postby Nuge » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:40 am

That’s 100% on the coach. If Franklin didn’t want to score, he should’ve taken a knee. These players are trained their entire lives to find the end zone. If you don’t want him to do that, don’t even give him the opportunity.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:47 am

When penn state went up 21-20 and then turned the ball over on downs, I looked at my wife and said "thats the difference between pitt and penn state. Penn state finds a way to win, pitt finds a way to lose."

That was certainly as Pitt-like as I've seen from Penn state.
I said the same exact things to my buddies that I was texting with. Said PSU always finds a way to pull the games out they should win if they are down. Pitt finds a way to blow them.

I actually flip to another game after they stopped Indiana with 1:47 left thinking they'd just go for the first down and then kneel on it. I thought in no way would they be dumb enough to score.

A few minutes later I get the "IU is going to OT against PSU". I thought he was f'ing with me because we are all Pitt fans and he knew I was pissed PSU pulled it out.

I flipped back and was like WTF happend. I'm glad IU won. But man, this was the most Pitt thing PSU has ever done.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:54 am

I think his initial comment was something like "we discussed it". He walked it back a bit later on.

At any rate, I've played 0 downs of football in my life and I would have known what to do there. That kid should have known better. Still, coach's job to make sure.

I was yelling for them to go for 2. I think they were worried they'd give up a TD and Indiana would go for the win. I would have rather seen them attempt to go up by 9 and end it.
Yeah, I mean if it stayed at 7 and things went the same, and IU won, good for them. 2 more points seals it.