2020-2021 Pittsburgh Super Panthers Sports Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:11 pm

0 is appropriate for petrishen, because that is the number of meaningful snaps he will play

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:13 pm

I forgot about jake vardzel, looking forward to @Dickie Dunn getting really mad about him getting meaningful snaps

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:16 pm

Also, @stoosh getting excited about super panthers is making the kangaroo get excited for super panthers

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:33 pm

I forgot about jake vardzel, looking forward to @Dickie Dunn getting really mad about him getting meaningful snaps
I’m already mad that he’s on scholarship.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:04 pm

So does that week one match against Miami (OH) go down as a W?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:10 pm

Was waiting for that. I want it all

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:11 pm

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:12 pm

Cancel the season.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:16 am

Best of luck to Twyman. It's been a blast watching that kid the last couple of years, and I'm excited to see where he may wind up in the NFL. After seeing Parsons and Rousseau opt out earlier this week, I kind of got the feeling that Twyman's decision was more when and not if.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:09 pm

Was waiting for that. I want it all
the vermont catamount stuff is gr8

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:28 am

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Aug 17, 2020 9:19 am

Former Pitt WR coach Aubrey Hill passed away over the weekend. He was the WR coach at Pitt from 2005-07, and had been the WR coach at FIU for the last few years. Just 48 years old...passed away from cancer. By all accounts, he was a terrific guy. RIP.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:32 am

Some stuff...

1. There are some rumors flying around that there may be more opt-outs. The guys that now run the Pitt POV blog said they seem to center mostly on Paris Ford and Damar Hamlin. Obviously nothing is official and given how much Ford and Hamlin talked even recently about how much coming back to play one more year together meant to each of them, I'm not sure as to their credibility. Opting out would logically be on the minds of any player with a legitimate NFL shot next spring, so I certainly wouldn't blame either of them. But man, that would hurt to lose them both. I think Erick Hallett is an under-the-radar contributor and Brandon Hill is ultimately going to be very good, but requiring both of them to step in and start this year would be tough.

2. Some good news: Peak reported on Panther Lair that three freshmen have really stood out so far among the skill players. It shouldn't be a surprise, but two of them are RB Israel Abanikanda and WR Jordan Addison. Both have been getting some regular reps with the first team and by most accounts have looked as advertised or maybe even a bit better. With the media having no access at all to practices, the only video coming out is from the team itself. Abanikanda and Addison both showed up in a couple of them. Abanikanda in particular really looks the part. The other that Peak mentioned is WR Jaylon Barden, who has also apparently worked in a bit with the first team.

3. In the same thread on the PL board, it was also mentioned that Buddy Mack and Solomon Deshields have made themselves noticed on the defensive side of the ball. Jim Hammett spoke with Damar Hamlin last week and Hamlin singled out Mack for his work so far. Deshields is working at LB.

That's about it, though I guess that's to be expected with things being kind of shut down or scaled back at the end of last week. It sounds like they're doing calls with at least Narduzzi today and whatever other coaches/players the teams make available, if any.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:40 pm

Former Pitt WR coach Aubrey Hill passed away over the weekend. He was the WR coach at Pitt from 2005-07, and had been the WR coach at FIU for the last few years. Just 48 years old...passed away from cancer. By all accounts, he was a terrific guy. RIP.
I was shocked with this. Didn't realize he was sick, and by all accounts from people that played for those teams that I know, he was a fantastic guy. Sad, and so young. Make's you appreciate life a little more.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:44 pm

Some stuff...

1. There are some rumors flying around that there may be more opt-outs. The guys that now run the Pitt POV blog said they seem to center mostly on Paris Ford and Damar Hamlin. Obviously nothing is official and given how much Ford and Hamlin talked even recently about how much coming back to play one more year together meant to each of them, I'm not sure as to their credibility. Opting out would logically be on the minds of any player with a legitimate NFL shot next spring, so I certainly wouldn't blame either of them. But man, that would hurt to lose them both. I think Erick Hallett is an under-the-radar contributor and Brandon Hill is ultimately going to be very good, but requiring both of them to step in and start this year would be tough.

2. Some good news: Peak reported on Panther Lair that three freshmen have really stood out so far among the skill players. It shouldn't be a surprise, but two of them are RB Israel Abanikanda and WR Jordan Addison. Both have been getting some regular reps with the first team and by most accounts have looked as advertised or maybe even a bit better. With the media having no access at all to practices, the only video coming out is from the team itself. Abanikanda and Addison both showed up in a couple of them. Abanikanda in particular really looks the part. The other that Peak mentioned is WR Jaylon Barden, who has also apparently worked in a bit with the first team.

3. In the same thread on the PL board, it was also mentioned that Buddy Mack and Solomon Deshields have made themselves noticed on the defensive side of the ball. Jim Hammett spoke with Damar Hamlin last week and Hamlin singled out Mack for his work so far. Deshields is working at LB.

That's about it, though I guess that's to be expected with things being kind of shut down or scaled back at the end of last week. It sounds like they're doing calls with at least Narduzzi today and whatever other coaches/players the teams make available, if any.

Read those same rumors regarding Ford and Hamlin. Would absolutely suck because this was the year this defense was supposed to be a monster, and if those 2 check out, then that is 3 top players out.

I can see Ford, but I would think Hamlin would want to play because he has that extra year and I don't think projects to go as early as Ford.

I personally think they are going to opt out though.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:35 am

Some stuff...

Read those same rumors regarding Ford and Hamlin. Would absolutely suck because this was the year this defense was supposed to be a monster, and if those 2 check out, then that is 3 top players out.

I can see Ford, but I would think Hamlin would want to play because he has that extra year and I don't think projects to go as early as Ford.

I personally think they are going to opt out though.
I think Ford is probably the biggest risk to opt out. Hamlin would surprise me but I'd be curious to see what he's heard from NFL people as to where he'd go in 2021. I think Jones and Weaver would be opt-out risks as well but from what both of them have said in interviews and on social media, it sounds like they're both hell-bent on playing.

For obviously selfish reasons, I do hope they all stick around though I won't blame any of them if they go. If I were one of them, my biggest concern wouldn't be Pitt's ability to manage this...it would be having to travel to other schools and being at the mercy of the plans those programs have in place. At this point, it certainly seems like the ACC is going to at least try to play, so having the first four at home gives Pitt and its players an opportunity to see from a distance how other programs are handling things.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:33 am

I have to watch the clips that were posted, but Jim Hammett at PantherLair posted some stuff from Narduzzi yesterday:

- Elaborating a little bit on the Twyman decision, he said:
"He had some things family-wise that he had to take care of that were pretty important to him and to me. It was like, I might have to kick him out the door to go take care of it, as much as I didn’t want to. We talk about, family is the most important thing. Period. Their family and our family. These kids have two big families. It’s just important our kids do what they need to do and he felt like that’s what he needed to do and I back him up 100%."
As much as it sucks out loud to lose a talent like Twyman given what they had built up, handling things like this can only help when it comes to recruiting. There are plenty of things I don't like that Narduzzi does, but looking out for the interests of his players and their families is one of the best things about his program.

- Narduzzi was also asked if they've had similar discussions with other players as those they had with Twyman:
"...There’s ongoing discussions. You’re always - I mean, these kids have so many things on their minds right now. I addressed this two nights ago, like, on game day, the night before the game and Thursday, our last practice, I always talk to the guys about getting their mind right. Get your mind right. I worry about these kids, because there’s so much to think about right now."
- And the possibility of more opt-outs:
"You know what? I have no idea. I really don’t. I don’t have on my watch right now, on the clock. I hope not, but we have to protect our kids and if a kid doesn’t want to play and if a kid is scared for any reason, I’m like, you have to do what’s best for you."

- Said they're taking practice and practice schedules one day at a time. Apparently, they initially weren't supposed to practice yesterday but some other schedules got moved around and they ended up practicing.

- Said they're still working on filling the non-conference game vacated by Miami (OH), and offered this:
"We’ve got some inquiries. My biggest concern is the health and safety of our kids. I get concerned about these teams that can do what we ask them to do. The ACC protocol are going to get more strict, not less strict. So they will be a little bit more stringent and I’m not sure if some of the teams can do what we want them to do."
- Finally asked how the team looks, said the defense looks as expected. Offense has been running the ball a little better and throwing the ball well, which he said he thinks is progress because they're going against good defensive units.

- He also talked a bit about the defensive line. Praised all of the younger DTs (Danielson, Bentley, Clancy, Green) but he really singled out Tyler Bentley and Kalijah Clancy as two that have stepped up in Twyman's departure. Specifically said Clancy is "electric...fast...can really rush the passer". He also said Jones and Weaver are playing boundary DE, so that leaves Alexandre, Baldonado, and Morgan on the other end. The DE part of that is just ridiculous to me...they're so deep at DE right now that John Morgan is probably going to be in the third rotation.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:51 am

Narduzzi met with the media on Friday, the team had a scrimmage, put out some small video clips on social media, and some things are starting to come into focus. Some stuff from Friday and over the weekend:

- Narduzzi mentioned that he told his team that they are playing on Sept. 12, which was initially earmarked as the Miami (OH) game. Chris Peak mentioned on PL that Pitt may be close to an agreement with Austin Peay to fill the open date. The other rumor floating around is Temple. Pitt is trying to ensure that anyone expressing interest in the game is able to meet the COVID-19 protocols enacted by Pitt and the ACC.

- If the season were to start on Friday, Jordan Addison would be the starting slot receiver and also appears to be the frontrunner to return kicks and punts. The more I hear about this kid, the more I can't wait to see him play.

- It's tough to glean much of anything from these 30-second or minute-long clips that Pitt Football's twitter account posts, but one thing that's kind of stuck out to me over the last few days in these clips is that Daniel Carter appears to be carrying the ball quite a bit. Pitt no longer lists a FB on its roster (Carter is now listed as RB), but Narduzzi said the role is still there and Carter is playing both.

- Aydin Henningham had a nice long TD reception in the scrimmage over the weekend. Dayon Hayes also apparently made some noise at DE.

- At O-line, it sounds like Morrissey, Hargrove, and Warren are set as the starters. Narduzzi mentioned that Matt Goncalves has been working with the first team and it sounds like he may be close to winning a starting job. I've heard nothing but good things about that kid since the season ended. Also mentioned that Owen Drexel and Blake Zubovic have had really good camps.

- It may shock most of you to hear this but Chase Pine is in a battle for a position. This time it's at MLB and in defense of Pine, this may be less him being underwhelming and more of the guy behind him - Wendell Davis - stepping up and taking the job. Speaketh the Duzz:
Obviously Chase Pine in there and Chase is doing a nice job. But to be honest with you, Wendell Davis is playing like he looks like the real deal. This kid came back focused and locked-in and there’s a battle going on there.
- Two position changes: Judson Tallandier has moved from CB to safety. John Petrishen has also moved from safety to LB.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:09 am

The story of Pine’s career. I’ve always been impressed with Davis when he got playing time. Surprised by the Tallandier move because he’s kinda slight of build, but if he doesn’t have the athleticism to play corner at 185 he never will.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:20 am

I actually think the season is going to happen

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:58 pm

I actually think the season is going to happen
I say all of this completely cognizant of the idea that there are a million things that have been lost or at least severely impacted by this pandemic that are infinitely more important than the entertainment I get from college football.

That said, back in March/April I saw someone comment on Twitter that it would be 100% Pitt to have an entire season cancelled just as it looked like they were getting ready to field a generational defense and have an incredibly successful year. As more and more stuff slated for late summer and fall got cancelled/pushed back, I pretty much assumed it was a matter of when and not if college football followed suit. Honestly, that would've been (and still would be) fine with me. I'd be bummed - Pitt football is the one sport I still get very invested in emotionally - but given the circumstances, there are more important things to be upset about losing, and this is ultimately just a terrific diversion I'm lucky to have.

That said, I'm more optimistic now that this will at least get started. I have no idea how many games they'll get in, because I think a lot of that depends on what happens at every literally other school that has made the decision to keep playing. I do wonder how things will ultimately go for teams that have to travel early on - especially given what's happened in baseball - and I think that's a concern that Narduzzi and others have already voiced.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 pm

WOO, THAT'S GREAT:
Pitt FB's Twitter account just confirmed Austin Peay for the Sept 12 opener.

DAMN, THAT SUCKS:
CB Damarri Mathis out for the year with an injury. Mathis and Jason Pinnock were expected to be the starters there this year and I think both players have a future in the NFL to some degree or another. I thought Mathis was probably the steadiest corner on the team last year not named Dane Jackson, so this doesn't help.

Pitt's defense is loaded but CB was probably one position - maybe LB being the other - where established depth beyond the starters was a big questionable. It sounds like Marquis Williams (RS Soph) and AJ Woods (sophomore) will be next up. I think AJ Woods is going to be very good but asking him to be a starter as a true sophomore may be a little tough. Peak also mentioned that true freshmen Rashad Battle and Jahvante Royal will also be in the mix here, even though Royal ultimately profiles as a safety. Battle is supposed to be really, really good - maybe the best defensive recruit in the 2020 class - so maybe we'll see him sooner rather than later.

The good news here is that Mathis could potentially return for 2021.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:49 pm

Such a douchebag. Canada is responsible for the best season of the Narduzzi era while Pat kicks 15 yard field goals against Penn a State without him.

tjand72

Postby tjand72 » Mon Aug 31, 2020 5:58 pm

Class act.