Best/worst Interview Questions

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:38 pm

The one question I always ask when prompted while being interviewed is what kind of community service ventures the company participates in, as "it's something I'm passionate about".

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:38 pm

You can smell me without the drink.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:39 pm

H-E-doubleN-I.....

Jofa Guy

Postby Jofa Guy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:40 pm

I've had ones where they would ask "Tell me in detail how you would figure out how many basketballs would fit in a room?"

I responded "Well, first I'd figure out the area of the room and circumference of the ball and go from there" typical answer but he was looking for "Can you deflate the balls?" I literally felt like a moron although he said he liked me

It was stupid

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:43 pm

literally?

anyway, since my brain is purely mathematical, that's how I would think about it too.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:45 pm

I don't like the trend that seems popular now, where they ask questions from personality tests. Like, "Would you say you do most things better than your friends?" There is no right or wrong answer, they are just using the responses to gauge what type of person (and employee) you might be. But they're stupid.
I've had a few interviews recently and haven't run into any of these. Almost all of the questions I've encountered are behavioral. Name a time you've improved a process, name a time you went above and beyond the call of duty, tell me how you handled a conflict with a coworker, etc. Behavioral questions are really hit or miss because if you've had an experience that matches the question then you'll ace it. If not, you have about 3 seconds to pull an elaborate story out of your ass that makes you sound good.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:32 pm

A long time ago, I was asked 'Give me a personal decision or action that you regret now and would've done differently if you had the chance'. I responded that regret is a nasty word...that every action and decision, fortunate or unfortunate, has molded me into the person I am today. As I'm happy with the person I am today, I can truthfully say that I could not regret anything I've done in the past, or wish that I'd done something differently.

He blinked, looked down, and said 'Well that's crap'. He then spent 20 secs or so writing something in his little notepad, looked up, and said 'Okay, thanks for coming in...............

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:37 pm

Loo thats kinda funny. I agree with your answer though.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:52 pm

23 year old me thought it was a great answer to the question.
Current me could see how it may have come across as slightly pretentious......

Oh well, guess I can't regret it. :roll:

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:56 pm

I actually think that was ahead of its time -- that'd probably be received much better in this day and age.