COVID-19

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 am

Fauci said yesterday contact tracing isn't working because half of the people won't pick up the phone, or hang up. Others are not cooperating full with questions.

Given that, the "data" that we have to rule out protests as a spreader is bogus.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

So are the contact tracers in Allegheny County asking whether those that test positive took place in the protests? I've read about NY tracers not asking, but can't seem to find anything on Allegheny County. It seems like quite a coincidence that we're seeing hotspots in the Southside and Oakland that are being blamed on bars when those bars are frequented by the demographic that took place in the protests, no?

I completely understand and agree that indoor bars offer a potential high contamination spot for the virus to spread, but the virus has to get there first. That is much more likely the more positive people start to visit these places. So how did we all of a sudden have a bunch of young healthy people contract the virus to bring it into bars, and where did they contract it? It seems like some people might be glossing over Step 1.
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

I hope they are asking, but again, they're not getting good responses from people they are tracing to, especially if those people are still healthy.

Not to pigeon hole the age demographic, but i would imagine that the bar/protest going age demo is probably the hardest to get ahold of telephonically. I can tell you I wasnt answering the phone for anyone at that time and especially not a number I didn't know or expect a call from
Last edited by King Colby on Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

Right, and I am sure that everyone who was at the protests is admitting that they were.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 am

Fauci said yesterday contact tracing isn't working because half of the people won't pick up the phone, or hang up. Others are not cooperating full with questions.

Given that, the "data" that we have to rule out protests as a spreader is bogus.
I mean, it's not like anyone would say no one caught the virus at the protest. But, again, it's just as simple as looking at which states are responsible for the majority of the new cases, and who opened up early.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:40 am

Again, I can only go by the data that's presented. Locally, ACHD is saying that they are not linked.
However, according to Dr. Bogen, the increase in cases have not been linked to recent protests. She says during the contact tracing process, coronavirus patients are asked if they’ve been to mass gatherings. And while there appears to be no link to protests a few weeks ago, she says they’re continuing to monitor the situation.
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/06 ... 220-total/

In the most recent briefing (I can't find a link for it), they said that a few did report attending protests, small family gatherings, and church, but none are thought to be the main source of the spike.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:42 am

If you put 100 people in an indoor bar with a sick person, and 100 people at a protest with a sick person, obviously more of the 100 at the bar will get sick.

I'm not sure using NYC as an example tells us very much. Their rate of infection was so high there might not be enough infectable people to create a new surge, at least not yet.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:44 am

If you put 100 people in an indoor bar with a sick person, and 100 people at a protest with a sick person, obviously more of the 100 at the bar will get sick.

I'm not sure using NYC as an example tells us very much. Their rate of infection was so high there might not be enough infectable people to create a new surge, at least not yet.
Sub in any other city.

What is the point of this? We want to have a lib cause to point the finger at?

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:48 am

Sub in any other city.

Yes.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

Sub in any other city.

Discussion? But I guess if it doesn't fit your allowable list of topics we can move on.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:50 am

I don't buy the whole "opened up too early" thing. COVID is never going away, so no matter when you opened, there was always going to be another spike. And if you wait until a vaccine, god only knows how long that will be and by then it may be way too late for many of these businesses/economy. They had to open.

Now, if you want to say these places did not open correctly, and were too lax with some of the rules, then I can agree with that. Places like Florida/Texas, etc pretty much opened up with little to no restrictions. That is an issue. And it also falls onto patrons and also owners. If someone is breaking the rules, report them.

The main purpose of the shutdown in March was to curb the impact on the health system, so it wouldn't be over run and allow the health system to better prepare for the pandemic. I think that has happened. And the spike in cases has not lead to a spike in hospitalization and deaths. So opening too early or having to go back to "red" or "yellow" or whatever states were doing in March are not necessary IMO. But some of these states do need some better controls while opening up.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am

What are other countries doing in their reopenings? It seems like our second spike hasn't really happened elsewhere. At least as far as I know

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am

Source of the post Now, if you want to say these places did not open correctly, and were too lax with some of the rules, then I can agree with that.
I'm with you here. I don't know if there would have ever been the "right" time to reopen when reopening without a vaccine in place. Cases were always going to go up. The key is to open as safely as possible to keep the case load and hospitalizations manageable. I think what we're seeing is there isn't really a "safe" way to reopen indoor bars. We'll see if the counties across the country who are closing bars see a decrease in cases. If not, we will likely have to take another look at how restaurants are doing and if they need to go take out only again.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:57 am

Agreed, NAN. It was less about timing and more about execution. To be fair to Wolf and the gang though, nobody knew at that time how much of an impact masks would make. Learning on the fly.

What we know on June 29 is a lot different than what we knew on June 5. More than likely a place like Lowes isn't going to be a place for spread if people stay physically distant (even if they didnt have masks, actually) because of how much air space there is, whereas a small bar or restaurant with less space for infected air to go is goint to be worse.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:59 am

Source of the post Now, if you want to say these places did not open correctly, and were too lax with some of the rules, then I can agree with that.
I'm with you here. I don't know if there would have ever been the "right" time to reopen when reopening without a vaccine in place. Cases were always going to go up. The key is to open as safely as possible to keep the case load and hospitalizations manageable. I think what we're seeing is there isn't really a "safe" way to reopen indoor bars. We'll see if the counties across the country who are closing bars see a decrease in cases. If not, we will likely have to take another look at how restaurants are doing and if they need to go take out only again.
Wife and I went out to dinner this weekend for the first time in 3 months. The restaurant we went to had the bar area closed, each table was spaced out over 6 feet, booths were every other, and they MADE you wear the mask from the moment you entered the door until you sat down. They were following the rules.

Then I see pictures or drive by other places where it's packed to capacity, no masks, and people on top of one another. Clearly not listening to the rules. These places need fined, etc.

It sucks this shut down is hurting the places like we went to this weekend.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:01 am

Sub in any other city.

We're trying to find the main (if applicable) source of what is causing the virus numbers to spike again because it will mean very tough decisions regarding our economy and the health of both businesses and people. You have really accelerated your desire to squash any conversation that could turn out poorly for your team's cause and it's to a deeply concerning level as far as message board discussion goes...it seems...unwell, in a word, at this point. #DoctorMikey

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:02 am

Source of the post Then I see pictures or drive by other places where it's packed to capacity, no masks, and people on top of one another. Clearly not listening to the rules. These places need fined, etc.
I'm ready to whistleblow the **** out of businesses not following the rules.
https://expressforms.pa.gov/apps/pa/doh ... -Complaint

Hopefully the alcohol ban won't hurt that restaurant you attended. Those places should be rewarded.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 am

If you're gonna be that person, just be very, very sure about what you're calling foul on...

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 am

They need to find a way to get certain places back open. Get a checklist and increase enforcement. Calculate air volume vs capacity, inspect ventilation/filtration systems, look at outdoor capabilities / capabilities to open windows/doors and increase flow. Hell, even make bars close at 9pm to keep young people away.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 am

If you're gonna be that person, just be very, very sure about what you're calling foul on...
Well, yeah.

Ad@m

COVID-19

Postby Ad@m » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:04 am

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/gile ... 03247.html
Gilead Sciences Inc has priced its COVID-19 drug candidate remdesivir at $2,340 for a five-day treatment in the United States and some other developed countries, it said on Monday, as it set the price for a single vial at $390.

The price for U.S. private insurance companies will be $520 per vial, the drugmaker said, which equates to $3,120 per patient for a treatment course using 6 vials of remdesivir.

This is below the $5,080 per course recommendation by U.S. drug pricing research group, the Institute for Clinical and Economic Review, last week.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:05 am

Well, it's not that obvious...you get a couple of Karen/Dwight Schrute hybrids out there that seem positively giddy about the notion of whistleblowing and ya never know where it ends up...

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:08 am

Well, it's not that obvious...you get a couple of Karen/Dwight Schrute hybrids out there that seem positively giddy about the notion of whistleblowing and ya never know where it ends up...
Nah, I'll be good I promise. I'll only report businesses that I actually see first-hand breaking the rules. For example, when I went to a local restaurant a few days after going green and none of the employees were wearing masks. Instead of complaining about it here, I'll send in that report and feel like I'm doing my part.

Actually, reading the report website now, it looks like this is geared more toward employees rather than patrons. So that might squash that.
Last edited by nocera on Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:10 am

We're trying to find the main (if applicable) source of what is causing the virus numbers to spike again because it will mean very tough decisions regarding our economy and the health of both businesses and people. You have really accelerated your desire to squash any conversation that could turn out poorly for your team's cause and it's to a deeply concerning level as far as message board discussion goes...it seems...unwell, in a word, at this point. #DoctorMikey
The massive case spikes are tied to TX, FL, AZ and CA. Why would protests be responsible for the spikes when like ~75% of the new cases are tied to these specific places when the protests were nationwide to some extent. On normal days, we all seem pretty aligned to the idea that outdoor transmission is unlikely, and we can call out those of us that tried tried to shame the Ozarks and the beaches and such for being wrong.

Your schtick is getting annoying.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:13 am

What are other countries doing in their reopenings? It seems like our second spike hasn't really happened elsewhere. At least as far as I know
Most of the large European countries were all NY.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:15 am

I'm not saying I even disagree...it very well might be indoor stuff being allowed to come back.

All I'm saying - which is apparently annoying - is allow people to discuss things freely...

I feel like that's a pretty light and breezy ask...but I don't think anyone tries to squash more conversation than you. As someone who is big on civil liberties, I see it, and don't like it...