COVID-19

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:01 am

Yeah. It sucks. and what can you do about it? nothing.
Pretty much

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:10 am

I think we're going on 3 days now of my niece having spikes of fever to 103°, and now she has diarrhea. The hospital sent my sister home to self-quarantine, stating that she probably got it from her daughter. Makes sense, doubt she got it from any of the patients she's been seeing...

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:13 am

I think we're going on 3 days now of my niece having spikes of fever to 103°, and now she has diarrhea. The hospital sent my sister home to self-quarantine, stating that she probably got it from her daughter. Makes sense, doubt she got it from any of the patients she's been seeing...
There's been a lot of nonsense coming from people from all directions.

Like today, there was a story that a PAT Bus Driver tested positive, and the response was for them to say "he/she caught it outside of bus driving". Is this posturing so they don't have to pay worker's comp or for potential civil suits?

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:16 am

I'm actually trying to push back away from the "time is the best form of production" mindset...but they're really scared of change to the point that I was all but shouted down when I suggested we should reward production and not time so much...it's scary to them.
Unfortunately that is the mindset of a lot of people, and to me it doesn't make sense.

I've always lived by the "work smarter, not harder" ideal. If you can work smarter and cut time off of your workday, go and enjoy life.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am

How about you put some of those executive bonuses and investor payouts into a slush fund in case something like this pandemic happens?
Because that money is not being productive for the company. Investors what your assets to be driving company growth, or they won't invest, which will cause a much bigger issue.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:20 am

Just got an email from our company saying all merit increases for 2020 are cancelled. We were due increases on April 1st. Record profits and revenues last year. But bonuses were not cancelled for this year (funny that only executives receive bonuses)

Now, I work for a fairly large company, and not all divisions are working right now. But our division is still working at 100% capacity as far as I know.

Exhibit A that companies are going to squeeze as much as they can out of this.
Ours were pushed back until "July" and it's under the same pretense, we received everything but a pittance of an increase. Mind you, we're making good money right now because we're making some substantial profits off of this pandemic.
I'm just tired of the bullshit 2% raise every year while the company is making record profits, buying companies much larger than them to ultimately become a Fortune 500 company. They operate on such a lean workforce that we all do 3-4 people's jobs.

How about you put some of those executive bonuses and investor payouts into a slush fund in case something like this pandemic happens?
lol welcome to America, friend.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am

I'm actually trying to push back away from the "time is the best form of production" mindset...but they're really scared of change to the point that I was all but shouted down when I suggested we should reward production and not time so much...it's scary to them.
Unfortunately that is the mindset of a lot of people, and to me it doesn't make sense.

I've always lived by the "work smarter, not harder" ideal. If you can work smarter and cut time off of your workday, go and enjoy life.
Yep. It's so hours driven at our firm. Work X hours and be X% chargeable. And then they wonder why realization is sht. Everytime they bring it up to me I say what's the incentive for staff to work efficiently? There's none right now, so this is what you get. Kills me. And I get blamed being the manager on the job

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:23 am

My wife’s employer missed their revenue projection the passed two years but still set record revenue and profits each year (maybe your projections suck?). Responded each year by reducing raises, cutting bonuses, and increasing C-suite bonuses.

The world sucks.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:24 am

Yep. It's so hours driven at our firm. Work X hours and be X% chargeable. And then they wonder why realization is sht. Everytime they bring it up to me I say what's the incentive for staff to work efficiently? There's none right now, so this is what you get. Kills me. And I get blamed being the manager on the job
Oh yea, I love the utilization discussions - "We have 14 people work 10 hours more than normal and produce less, why?" Because you gave them an arbitrary hour number to hit to be "utilized" but never actually want to fix the problem.

Gabe

COVID-19

Postby Gabe » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:26 am

I work for a large company and specifically my job calculates bonuses and manages the merit increase process. We paid out extravagant bonuses last month and were set to put in the merits that managers awarded right before the world fell apart. Now merits are on hold. Glad all those executives can buy a new boat though.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:28 am

My wife’s employer missed their revenue projection the passed two years but still set record revenue and profits each year (maybe your projections suck?). Responded each year by reducing raises, cutting bonuses, and increasing C-suite bonuses.

The world sucks.
The last thing on your list is what gets me. My business unit has **** the bed the last few years (overall company doing fine), and we've had minimal raises, cut bonuses, etc due to our BU performance, but the leaders of the BU still got their massive bonuses.

To me, if you are failing, or not meeting expectations the pain should be felt at the top. Opposite is true though where if you are doing fantastic, the top should be rewarded the most.

Unfortunately, most of the time the top is rewarded regardless. I don't mind C-suite leaders getting large salaries and bonuses as they do take on a lot of responsibility and risk. The issue to me is when they fall short or make the bad decisions, at least at my company, their bonus is not affected significantly.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:46 am

The world sucks.
The last thing on your list is what gets me. My business unit has **** the bed the last few years (overall company doing fine), and we've had minimal raises, cut bonuses, etc due to our BU performance, but the leaders of the BU still got their massive bonuses.

To me, if you are failing, or not meeting expectations the pain should be felt at the top. Opposite is true though where if you are doing fantastic, the top should be rewarded the most.

Unfortunately, most of the time the top is rewarded regardless. I don't mind C-suite leaders getting large salaries and bonuses as they do take on a lot of responsibility and risk. The issue to me is when they fall short or make the bad decisions, at least at my company, their bonus is not affected significantly.
While the company I work for is a varying degree of shambolic mess, the ownership is what makes me hesitant to leave. Paid well, Awe’ve never not received a bonus, get 3% raises every year, two largest stakeholders are forgoing salaries this year due to our financial issues, and those that have been laid off have gotten severance packages that pay a months salary for every year of service, which is coming out of the owners pocket. Working for a small company limits upward mobility and because of that I’m looking to move on, but there’s something to be said for working for a small privately owned company with an owner who doesn’t suck.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:38 am

Yeah, working for a smaller company has it's pluses and minuses. If you got a good owner, you should be good to go. A shitty one, and then you are screwed.

Larger public companies, the investors are the key focus as they are your lifeblood.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:15 pm

Kaiser

COVID-19

Postby Kaiser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:20 pm

That's a good number for right now. WA is at 7% and we started sooner.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:34 pm

Rammstein frontman Till Lindemann in intensive care.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:43 pm

Wait times for test results now up to a week. So apparently they're trying a different testing group to get a rapid response and its accuracy is very suspect. Father and son presented with same symptoms, father tested positive and son negative. The fear is sending a fair number of people home with false negatives right now.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:50 pm

Wait times for test results now up to a week. So apparently they're trying a different testing group to get a rapid response and its accuracy is very suspect. Father and son presented with same symptoms, father tested positive and son negative. The fear is sending a fair number of people home with false negatives right now.
Yea that’s been the worry for awhile for me. There are so many tests that are flooding the market, some with almost no controlled data. False negatives are likely to pile up

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Oh just let me enjoy a bit of good news.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:51 pm

Plum Sheetz worker got it.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:15 pm

Oh just let me enjoy a bit of good news.
What's the good news?

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:17 pm

No more Rammstein music?

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:20 pm

This is a legitimate concern, and an unintended consequence of a) the commonwealth controlling all liquor sales and b) shutting down all state stores.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/closing-penn ... ia-experts
Pennsylvania is the only state to completely close down all stores, according to the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, after Wolf ordered all nonessential businesses in the state to close as part of efforts to mitigate the spread of coronavirus and reduce the strain on hospitals.

But the Department of Drug and Alcohol Programs (DDAP) has warned of alcohol-withdrawal health problems stemming from the shutdown. Withdrawal itself is not life-threatening, but complications such as convulsions, epileptic seizures and cardiac arrhythmias can be deadly.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:25 pm

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:26 pm

I think I read in a few states like California the cannabis industry is considered essential. What is different with alcohol?