COVID-19

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:53 am

Who here was from Georgia? Shoeshineboy?

@columbia shared this on Facebook: https://www.ajc.com/politics/politics-b ... GTIIF2AX4/

Evidently, the governor banned all city and county mask mandates. Yikes.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 am

#freecolumbia[tweet][/tweet]

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:56 am

@nocera I find it really odd that sports, weddings, and gyms are so much lower. All no-mask situations for the most part. All places you are present for a long enough time to inhale enough virus to get sick.

Pavel Bure

COVID-19

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:01 am

Source of the post And while we lambaste Cuomo, Florida is at 50% when early in the outbreak they were held up as the model for how to do it.
TDS had a short segment on this, and it was hilarious watching the Fox News guys all praise Texas, Florida, and Arizona for how superb they were, all through June.
1. TDS is trash and anyone that consumes it is a consumer of trash
2. Those areas were doing well in June, but now that they aren't, we point and laugh? Poor form!
That man looks like a woman.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:02 am

I'm with ya KC.
I think Trump's a buffoon on a personal level, but I don't expect nor want huge sweeping action from the fed gov on this. The outbreak takes in so many different locales and at staggered times, so a one size fits all plan will cause increased damage (either economically, or in lives depending on which way it yields). I only expect a best plans recommendation and communication between the various departments to flow freely so people cane make the most informed decisions.
Same for most states. What's necessary or proper in NYC probably is overkill and causes unnecessary economic damage in the Finger Lakes and such.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:23 am

@nocera I find it really odd that sports, weddings, and gyms are so much lower. All no-mask situations for the most part. All places you are present for a long enough time to inhale enough virus to get sick.
Yeah for sure on sports and gyms. Although I thought gyms required masks? Judging from following a lot of my vendors on social media, it doesn't seem like a lot of weddings are happening, at least not indoors. I've seen a few with small indoor ceremonies but from talking to the vendors, their business is obviously way down. That might account for the smaller numbers.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:32 am

I'm with ya KC.
I think Trump's a buffoon on a personal level, but I don't expect nor want huge sweeping action from the fed gov on this. The outbreak takes in so many different locales and at staggered times, so a one size fits all plan will cause increased damage (either economically, or in lives depending on which way it yields). I only expect a best plans recommendation and communication between the various departments to flow freely so people cane make the most informed decisions.
Same for most states. What's necessary or proper in NYC probably is overkill and causes unnecessary economic damage in the Finger Lakes and such.
:thumb:

Thank you for organizing my thoughts.

I can't stand wolf but his admin is clearly trying to control things in the least disruptive way possible. Sucks for some people.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:39 am

I'm with ya KC.
Disagree wholly.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resour ... hP2d-2VsOc

Go to page 23. We just skipped the first two steps on preparation, communication, and surveillance detection. And then states had to lock it down for the response and containment. Nothing about the pandemic response is dictating to the entire country about how to contain the spread. I don't disagree that different localities require different measures, but the idea that the government should have just let the states address the pandemic led us here.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:01 pm

I still fall back to the whole "firing the pandemic preparedness team because there wasn't a pandemic at the time" as the first domino that led to where we are now.

Granted, it remains to be seen if the President would've listened to them, but having a general plan to put into action once this started sprouting up would've gone far in possibly keeping numbers from getting this bad.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:13 pm

I still fall back to the whole "firing the pandemic preparedness team because there wasn't a pandemic at the time" as the first domino that led to where we are now.

Granted, it remains to be seen if the President would've listened to them, but having a general plan to put into action once this started sprouting up would've gone far in possibly keeping numbers from getting this bad.
Trump didn't get rid of the Government's ability to plan for pandemic response.

It's like saying Goodyear disbands it's committee on "tires for short track racing" and then writing an article saying "Goodyear abandons short track racing". They just got rid of the specific committee and reassigned the people to existing agencies doing the same work.
CONCLUSIONS
There is disagreement over how to describe the changes at the NSC’s Directorate for Global Health Security and Biodefense in 2018. The departure of some members due to “streamlining” efforts under John Bolton is documented. The “pandemic response team” as a unit was largely disbanded.

VERDICT​
Partly false: The Trump administration disbanded the “pandemic response” team, but some of the team members were reassigned to roles that included pandemic response

This article was produced by the Reuters Fact Check team.
https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-fact ... SKBN21C32M

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:19 pm

Two consecutive days of sub-5% positivity rates in Allegheny county

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:33 pm

I’m going to guess any state below 30% is doing some misinformation. We know NYS is.
And while we lambaste Cuomo, Florida is at 50% when early in the outbreak they were held up as the model for how to do it. So maybe NYS's policy didn't exacerbate the problem as much as was thought.
Again, even in the ProPublica article raking the policy, they have to admit that the virus was already present in the LTCF for days or months before positive non-acute cases were readmitted. So while it couldn't help the situation, how much it hurt is not as obvious as was being touted at what we thought was the conclusion of the first wave.

I think we've come to an agreement that if you want to keep those people healthy, you need some very stringent rules in place at the facility (and encumbering it's employees) to prevent spread.

The "positive" from that stat is that of 130k deaths, chances are at least a third of them had DNRs so the idea that they were going to die relatively soon anyways sort of holds true. That backs up why the unexpected death total is significantly lower than the COVID death total would have you believe.
NYS I believe had 1 in 10 nursing home residents die. They just don't classify them as LTCF in their stats if they died outside of the home.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:41 pm

Two consecutive days of sub-5% positivity rates in Allegheny county
Hmm. According to r/COVIDPGH, today's positive rate was 12.17%. "The dashboard shows an increase of 1,150, the state shows an increase of 1,170, but the daily release says 2,817 results. That is obviously a huge difference and makes the difference between a ~5% positive rate and a ~12% positive rate. Hoping for some clarification, but not holding my breath."

And yesterday was 8.71%.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:52 pm

Yeah I F'd up yesterday's math by using the wrong denominator

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:54 pm

I can't stand wolf but his admin is clearly trying to control things in the least disruptive way possible. Sucks for some people.
This is better for the other thread, but I have found myself barely resisting trolling the people in WTAJ and Lancaster Online comment sections that are screaming about Wolf being Hitler, masks = Nazism, etc. Which goes back to what I've said before, the older I get the more I realize it's dumb people I loathe the most.

Being governor of any state right now is a thankless task, and Wolf, even though I don't necessarily agree with everything he's done, has done a decent job.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:57 pm

That man looks like a woman.
Not sure if joking, but that's Glenn Close in a cameo.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:59 pm

I’m going to guess any state below 30% is doing some misinformation. We know NYS is.
And while we lambaste Cuomo, Florida is at 50% when early in the outbreak they were held up as the model for how to do it. So maybe NYS's policy didn't exacerbate the problem as much as was thought.
Again, even in the ProPublica article raking the policy, they have to admit that the virus was already present in the LTCF for days or months before positive non-acute cases were readmitted. So while it couldn't help the situation, how much it hurt is not as obvious as was being touted at what we thought was the conclusion of the first wave.

I think we've come to an agreement that if you want to keep those people healthy, you need some very stringent rules in place at the facility (and encumbering it's employees) to prevent spread.

The "positive" from that stat is that of 130k deaths, chances are at least a third of them had DNRs so the idea that they were going to die relatively soon anyways sort of holds true. That backs up why the unexpected death total is significantly lower than the COVID death total would have you believe.
NYS I believe had 1 in 10 nursing home residents die. They just don't classify them as LTCF in their stats if they died outside of the home.
Yep, I think the ProPublica article quoted in June had a much higher rate either because they dug through the numbers or it was prior to a reclassification. I agree that the 12% on that map isn't correct. The larger point was that Florida and NYS have comparable percentages of their deaths being in LTCF, despite different policies directed towards them. I know the article quoted 11% of the LTCF population had died of COVID in NJ.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:47 pm

Plus people are people. Many are self serving asshats and you can tell them one thing and they'll do another.

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:08 pm

This is better for the other thread, but I have found myself barely resisting trolling the people in WTAJ and Lancaster Online comment sections that are screaming about Wolf being Hitler, masks = Nazism, etc. Which goes back to what I've said before, the older I get the more I realize it's dumb people I loathe the most.

Being governor of any state right now is a thankless task, and Wolf, even though I don't necessarily agree with everything he's done, has done a decent job.
My only real beef is green being something other than “no restrictions.”

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:14 pm

The gym I go to 3 times a week requires a mask everywhere in the building. Even while on machines working out. Probably wouldn't go if they didn't.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:53 pm

a goalie I know and his wife just tested positive though seem asymptomatic. July 4th they went to FL to play in an indoor roller hockey tourney. oh, and did I mention that they took their 8 month old son with them?

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:36 pm

Acquaintance of mine just tested positive. She caught it at a local lifestyle club. How are those places even allowed to be open?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:45 pm

What the **** is a lifestyle club?

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:57 pm

What the **** is a lifestyle club?
Swingers club. Sex club. Whatever else you want to call it.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Thu Jul 16, 2020 8:58 pm

a goalie I know and his wife just tested positive though seem asymptomatic. July 4th they went to FL to play in an indoor roller hockey tourney. oh, and did I mention that they took their 8 month old son with them?
Since they are asymptomatic, what made them get tested? I am pretty sure that I wouldn't bother getting tested unless I had symptoms.