Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Jan 12, 2021 1:51 pm

Just got my second vaccine
Mr. Big Shot...?

Edit: That's an AB84 reference before you get made at me, lol
Lol I got it

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Found out in our team meeting that my agency is getting COVID vaccines and I've been flagged as priority because I still go into the office one day a week. So right now I'm working 2-3 channels to get this thing.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:26 pm

Not sure what is informing the administration in other states, but here in CA a big contributor to the problem is the software registration system being used to sign up organizations for allocation coupled with the prioritization of LTC/nursing home residents. Apparently for like the first 15 or so days, the facilities themselves were appearing in the system as the patient under the scheduling protocol, and the actual residents weren't showing up in the database at all. Like, the system would show "Eisenberg Village" (a nursing home in Reseda) as 1 patient and allocate 2 doses, despite the fact that like 200 people live there.
This is day one stuff in hospital EMR database architecture. Hopefully people lost their jobs over this because they were evidently extremely unqualified
One other thing that is apparently happening here is similar to the UPS Innovations nonsense that's been discussed in other threads recently. There's a discrepancy between 'allocated' doses and 'distributed' doses. Like, with the UPS thing, when the shipper sets up the shipment it shows as 'accepted' by USPS, but that's just a recognition that the USPS knows the parcel is coming their way. They may not take actual possession of the thing in an FOB sense for weeks after that designation. It seems something along those lines is also happening here with vax doses - there's a significant chunk of the 2 million or so doses that are shown as being for 'California' that have not actually arrived in the state yet.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:01 pm

This is interesting. I had been saying over the summer that our best hope at avoiding an enormous surge in hospital pressure this winter would be that the mitigation efforts in place to limit COVID spread would also tramp down on the spread of other infectious diseases. While we're still seeing massive spread of COVID putting hospitals on red alert, apparently those mitigation measures are having unprecedented success at limiting those other diseases.

Coronavirus shutdowns have quashed nearly all other common viruses. But scientists say a rebound is coming
Veteran virus trackers say they are chronicling something never before seen — the suppression of virtually every common respiratory and gastrointestinal virus besides the novel coronavirus. They theorize that is largely due to global shutdowns, mask-wearing and a host of other health protocols aimed at stemming the spread of the coronavirus.

These other viruses — including influenza A, influenza B, parainfluenza, norovirus, respiratory syncytial virus (RSV), human metapneumovirus — all appear to be circulating at or near levels lower than ever previously measured. The same is true for the respiratory bacteria that cause pertussis, better known as whooping cough, and pneumonia.

“It’s crazy,” said Lynnette Brammer, who leads the Center for Disease Control and Prevention’s Domestic Influenza Surveillance team. “This is my 30th flu season. I never would have expected to see flu activity this low.”

In 2019, during the third week of December, before the coronavirus struck the United States, the CDC’s network of clinical labs reported that 16.2 percent of the 29,578 samples tested were positive for influenza A. During the same week in 2020, the rate was 0.3 percent.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:29 pm

Flu!

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:30 pm

A "rebound" is coming? Like the flu has a quota that it has to meet?

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 pm

I was just talking to my wife about this - usually, we hear a ton of people sick with the flu. Flu updates on news, Weather.com, and so on. We figured with COVID, the election, and sedition that it got pushed out of the news. Guess not.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:41 pm

"We figured all the sedition pushed flu season off the news"

lol brilliant

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:47 pm

A rebound is coming. Because we're stopping all the covid mitigation efforts that suppressed them in the first place. Makes sense. :slug:

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:12 pm

an ATL suburb is paying their city employees $200 to get the COVID vaccine. :o

https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/re ... a892f.html

side note: this is in a part of town where people really don't wear masks. might even be considered Marjorie Taylor-Greene's district.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Interesting ethics question. Paying employees to take a vaccine

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:29 pm

SiL got her second dose yesterday. She’s had a slight fever, exhaustion, and headaches but at a bit over 24 hours she’s feeling much better.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:47 pm

My wife gets her first dose tomorrow. I have yet to hear from my employer.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:07 pm

an ATL suburb is paying their city employees $200 to get the COVID vaccine. :o

https://www.northwestgeorgianews.com/re ... a892f.html

side note: this is in a part of town where people really don't wear masks. might even be considered Marjorie Taylor-Greene's district.
I heard someone talking about this a week or so ago. Instead of distributing $2,000 checks to people 'just cos', pay them $2,000 to get themselves vaxxed.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:17 pm

I heard someone talking about this a week or so ago. Instead of distributing $2,000 checks to people 'just cos', pay them $2,000 to get themselves vaxxed.
That would change a lot of minds.

Sam's Drunk Dog

COVID-19

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:25 pm

If you had to get vaccinated in order to get your stimulus check, I wonder how high the levels would be. :pop:
Maybe of it was $2000
Is this where you heard it tif? :mrgreen:

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:42 pm

If you had to get vaccinated in order to get your stimulus check, I wonder how high the levels would be. :pop:
Maybe of it was $2000
If there is a skeleton in my closet, you will find it

Sam's Drunk Dog

COVID-19

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:12 am

Maybe of it was $2000
If there is a skeleton in my closet, you will find it
I think it's a good idea though, which is why I suggested it. Just trying to give you some credit.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:31 am

This has to be good news, right?
The virus is a grim menace now because it is an unfamiliar pathogen that can overwhelm the adult immune system, which has not been trained to fight it. That will no longer be the case once everyone has been exposed to either the virus or vaccine.

Children, on the other hand, are constantly challenged by pathogens that are new to their bodies, and that is one reason they are more adept than adults at fending off the coronavirus. Eventually, the study suggests, the virus will be of concern only in children younger than 5, subjecting even them to mere sniffles — or no symptoms at all.

In other words, the coronavirus will become “endemic,” a pathogen that circulates at low levels and only rarely causes serious illness.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/future-coron ... 01135.html

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:32 am

Sure as hell sounds like it.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:45 am

The virus is a grim menace now because it is an unfamiliar pathogen that can overwhelm the adult immune system, which has not been trained to fight it. That will no longer be the case once everyone has been exposed to either the virus or vaccine.

Children, on the other hand, are constantly challenged by pathogens that are new to their bodies, and that is one reason they are more adept than adults at fending off the coronavirus. Eventually, the study suggests, the virus will be of concern only in children younger than 5, subjecting even them to mere sniffles — or no symptoms at all.

In other words, the coronavirus will become “endemic,” a pathogen that circulates at low levels and only rarely causes serious illness.
Yeah, this thing is never going away, but I think once our bodies get "used" to it for a lack of a better term and learn how to fight it, it will just become another virus out there. That will take time though.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:47 am

My PA friend got her shots. The first shot had no issues. The second shot, she felt good until about 12 hours after the shot, and then the spot on her arm got extremely sore, she came down with a fever, and just knocked out for about 24 hours. But feels a lot better after that 24 hours.

If that is the extent of side effects after the second shot, it's well worth it IMO. And she 100% agrees.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:48 am

Yeah, this thing is never going away, but I think once our bodies get "used" to it for a lack of a better term and learn how to fight it, it will just become another virus out there. That will take time though.
At the end of the article they say it could take 5-10 years to get used to the virus "naturally". But with vaccinations, that timeframe can be shortened to 6 months to a year.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am

My roommate (works for UPMC corporate) is getting his first shot today.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:51 am

My PA friend got her shots. The first shot had no issues. The second shot, she felt good until about 12 hours after the shot, and then the spot on her arm got extremely sore, she came down with a fever, and just knocked out for about 24 hours. But feels a lot better after that 24 hours.

If that is the extent of side effects after the second shot, it's well worth it IMO. And she 100% agrees.

:thumb: