COVID-19

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:18 am

Yeah I totally disagree with the opinion of schools have to be open to actually educate. E-learning is a real thing. Maybe not every student will excel at e-learning, but not every student excels in the classroom. There's a reason why cyber schools exist.
*zero snark comment* Do you have kids?
Nope, no kids. Close with my nephews, marrying a teacher, parents were teachers, and spent around 5 years in education.
nobody? :twisted:

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:20 am

Low blow, man.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:26 am

Welp. I'm dead.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:37 am

Allegheny County Update 7/29 - 7,718 Total Cases (+125 Cases, +10 Hospitalizations, +5 Deaths)
Looking at 7 day average of percent of cases by age group, 65+ took another jump today and is now the 2nd highest age group behind 25-49 over the past week. In the past 7 days, almost 24% of cases have been in patients 65 and over. Compare that to the last week of June when it was closer to 6%.
We've seen this trend coming, and at least for now it is still continuing.
Explains why the hospitalizations and deaths have increased.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:53 am

I went to a school board meeting tonight to discuss the district's plan.

You could have George C. Marshall putting this thing together and it would still be like the Fyre Festival.
Any final decisions made? We still haven’t been given concrete answers on how we can deliver instruction virtually (ie, can we livestream to those at home what we’re teaching in person or does it have to be recorded without an audience).
They have a 57-page booklet they passed out. It's in stone as much as that can be.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Source of the post But the staggering number of kids that would be neglected/lost makes it untenable (imo).
I don't disagree, but for parents who choose this option, it's absolutely workable. No solution is a one size fits all, basically.
Yes, e-learning has to be an option right now, and parents should obviously have the ability to keeps kids at home. My argument would be, that univeral virtual schooling would be a disaster, for the reasons that @Freddy Rumsen has been describing.
Well said. And great post from Freddy back there.

My wife and I can hopefully make virtual learning work; we are both (I like to think, anyway) pretty intelligent people and even though we are both working, we did a pretty good job in the spring balancing everything.

There are unfortunately a lot of shtbag parents out there, and a universal virtual model will strip a lot of children of any prayer they had of getting some kind of meaningful development. It's a brutal problem, no doubt.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:34 pm

Mortality vs. morbidity...

https://theweek.com/speedreads/927908/e ... tudy-shows
Skeptics of the disease and the necessity of shutting down the economy to stop its spread have focused on the fact that most coronavirus cases have been mild or even asymptomatic, mistakenly comparing COVID-19 to "just the flu." But a recent study of 100 recovered coronavirus patients reveals 78 of them now have lasting cardiovascular damage even though a vast majority of them had mild cases of COVID-19 in the first place.

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing "ongoing myocardial inflammation," the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.

MWB

COVID-19

Postby MWB » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:35 pm

And it hits in two areas. You’ve got the bad parents, who may be working from home or may be stay at home parents, but whose philosophy it is that teachers are supposed to teach and it’s not the parents job. So they won’t help. Then you’ve got the ones who have to work full time, or may be single parents, or may work two jobs, who want to and try to do what they can to help, but there’s only so much they can do. The virtual model only works with parents who have the time and willingness to make it work for their kids. That’s not a huge segment of the population.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:37 pm

Isn't that what Eduardo Rodriguez from the Red Sox is still dealing with?

Scary stuff for sure.

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:39 pm

Skeptics of the disease and the necessity of shutting down the economy to stop its spread have focused on the fact that most coronavirus cases have been mild or even asymptomatic, mistakenly comparing COVID-19 to "just the flu." But a recent study of 100 recovered coronavirus patients reveals 78 of them now have lasting cardiovascular damage even though a vast majority of them had mild cases of COVID-19 in the first place.

The study published Monday in JAMA Cardiology details the results of cardiac MRI exams of 100 recovered coronavirus patients. Twenty-eight of them required oxygen supplementation while fighting the virus, while just two were on ventilators. But 78 of them still had cardiovascular abnormalities after recovery, with 60 of them showing "ongoing myocardial inflammation," the study shows. These conditions appeared to be independent of case severity and pre-existing conditions, though JAMA researchers note these findings need a larger study.
Mrs. Franchise's boss is mid-30s, good shape, no pre-existing conditions. She started having symptoms, mostly headache fever and cough probably mid-June and was confirmed positive. Since confirmed negative and has gone back to work, but now she can't walk up a flight of stairs without stopping. They're not sure if she will improve or not.

So the people who say "oh we should all just get it" can suck it.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:41 pm

Maybe with enough push to solve this, other medium- and long-term lung disabilities can be helped...pneumonia (potentially), COPD, etc.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:43 pm

The virtual model only works with parents who have the time and willingness to make it work for their kids. That’s not a huge segment of the population.
Yes, this is very true. Like I said above, one of the kids that signed up DID NOT DO ANYTHING from March 16 onward. Never logged in, never turned in anything but the iPad at the end of the year. Many others don't have stable internet, yet they have signed up for virtual (which specifies that students must be connected to the internet for the duration of the virtual school day).

For us down here, it really has exposed a lot of societal ills that upper level administrators and state leaders have willingly ignored for decades. Yet these same officials expect progress and increased testing scores.

The court hearing on our governor giving $32 million in private school grants from CARES money is happening today. I hope this gets permanently blocked, as the money could be used to bolster rural internet service and smaller school districts rather than pad the enrollments of private schools.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:52 pm

Mrs. Franchise's boss is mid-30s, good shape, no pre-existing conditions. She started having symptoms, mostly headache fever and cough probably mid-June and was confirmed positive. Since confirmed negative and has gone back to work, but now she can't walk up a flight of stairs without stopping. They're not sure if she will improve or not.

So the people who say "oh we should all just get it" can suck it.
I have a question and a comment.

Is she hot?

And damaged cells regenerate over time and she won't be struggling to walk up steps.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:07 pm

So I woke up this morning super achy and a mild sore throat. No fever, breathing problems, etc. Called my PCP to see if I should get tested. Waiting for a call back.

Hopefully it's nothing. I took advil and felt find so far all day. But with all the craziness out there, better to be safe than sorry.

I just hear various extremes of COVID. Some feel like it's a mild cold, others die. So it can be anywhere between.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:08 pm

I just hear various extremes of COVID. Some feel like it's a mild cold, others die. So it can be anywhere between.
Thanks for the heads up

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up
Just spreading the word and helping society. :thumb:

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:50 pm

So I woke up this morning super achy and a mild sore throat. No fever, breathing problems, etc. Called my PCP to see if I should get tested. Waiting for a call back.

Hopefully it's nothing. I took advil and felt find so far all day. But with all the craziness out there, better to be safe than sorry.

We just went and got tested for travel/family purposes. Went to med express, had to wait around in the parking lot for almost 2 hours. I would advise to not get one unless you are in a situation where you need to be tested. Just a PITA.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm

Thanks for the heads up
495 pages summed up. please lock thread

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:59 pm

We just went and got tested for travel/family purposes. Went to med express, had to wait around in the parking lot for almost 2 hours. I would advise to not get one unless you are in a situation where you need to be tested. Just a PITA.
I've heard the same in general. It's difficult to get tested. I just worry because of the sore throat/achiness. It could be nothing, but we do see my parents, my in laws, etc occasionally, and also my kids are participating in sports/playing with the neighbor kids. If there is any sign that I (or anyone else) may have it, I just want to be safe than sorry.

But again, I don't have a fever or breathing issues right now. So hopefully it's just from the A/C blowing on my head the other day while I took a nap in my basement.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:05 pm

I've heard the same in general. It's difficult to get tested. I just worry because of the sore throat/achiness. It could be nothing, but we do see my parents, my in laws, etc occasionally, and also my kids are participating in sports/playing with the neighbor kids. If there is any sign that I (or anyone else) may have it, I just want to be safe than sorry.

But again, I don't have a fever or breathing issues right now. So hopefully it's just from the A/C blowing on my head the other day while I took a nap in my basement.
If I were you, I'd wait till i noticed something with my sense of smell/taste.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:17 pm

If I were you, I'd wait till i noticed something with my sense of smell/taste.
Yeah, I called my PCP to see what they say. But so far (knock on wood), my smell/tastes is fine, I still have an appitite, and no fever yet. And breathing is fine. So hopefully they say the same about waiting to get tested.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:25 pm

Do you have allergies? My allergies have been a mess this year and I rarely had issues before. After I spend a day outside or if I cut the grass, the next day is a fun game of "allergies or covid."

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:29 pm

But I thought people were saying mass testing is the way to go. The more testing the better I read on here. Testing and tracing, right?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:38 pm

I think studies like this can still be misleading because "mild" could mean severe issues but not enough to be hospitalized.

I remember a tweet a bit ago calling out long(ish) term lung damage from COVID and someone replied that the numbers looked similar to pneumonia, which makes sense since pneumonia seems to be a condition that COVID often brings. I wonder if hte heart stuff is similar; heart damage is indicative of pneumonia and hopefully goes away after time? idk, I'm not a doctor

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:41 pm

But I thought people were saying mass testing is the way to go. The more testing the better I read on here. Testing and tracing, right?

That's what is should be, yes. But states were not given the resources to adequately achieve it.