COVID-19

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:23 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics ... index.html

Chris Christie spent 7 days in the ICU as he battled COVID. I wonder what type of hospital bill that would amount to for the typical American with mediocre insurance. But you'll probably live, so NBD.
I assume he's still covered by state insurance, so probably the same bill as any other state employee.
Does he still work for the state?
As a former governor he probably is still in their system?
Probably not. Probably health insurance from the marketplace or ABC where he is a regular contributor.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:26 pm

Chris Christie spent 7 days in the ICU as he battled COVID. I wonder what type of hospital bill that would amount to for the typical American with mediocre insurance. But you'll probably live, so NBD.
I assume he's still covered by state insurance, so probably the same bill as any other state employee.
I am employed by a different state and I can tell you, if I spent 7 days in a hospital ICU, even just my part of the bill would probably be enough to cause me to declare bankruptcy.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:30 pm

I am employed by a different state and I can tell you, if I spent 7 days in a hospital ICU, even just my part of the bill would probably be enough to cause me to declare bankruptcy.
16k would bankrupt you? That is the maximum out of pocket for at least the marketplace. I assume not much different for other plans.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:45 pm

France had the equivalent of 150k USA cases today.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm

I spent 10 days in the ICU and my total bill was 475K. I paid about 10K.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Oct 15, 2020 10:46 pm

16k would bankrupt you? That is the maximum out of pocket for at least the marketplace. I assume not much different for other plans.
Even the highest deductible plans are like $7k deductible with 30% cost sharing.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:05 pm

Even the highest deductible plans are like $7k deductible with 30% cost sharing.
Every plan has a maximum-out-of-pocket.

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:08 pm

Months ago in the summer, the news was loaded with stories along the lines of "Look how badly the US is f***ing up its response to Covid in comparison to Europe." Now, it's hard to find any stories mentioning that multiple of those European nations are experiencing caseloads that on a per-capita basis are far larger than anything the US saw in July.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:12 pm

Every plan has a maximum-out-of-pocket.
Yeah i know I'm agreeing with you.

Plus aren't hospitals being subsidized for covid patients?

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:48 am

Let's just use 10k as an example. I think for most people or families that are struggling to make ends meet that 10k wouldn't necessarily bankrupt them, but going bankrupt wouldn't even matter if they are struggling already to begin with, it would just add more stress to their already bad situation.

Let's just say 10k is owed and you somehow got the hospital or whoever to set up a payment plan for 5 years. Make one payment a month for 60 months.. that's about $166 dollars a month. To a family struggling living paycheck to paycheck where does that extra 166$ a month come from? It may not seem alot to you or me, but to alot of people living in this country that is extra money that they can't afford to pay. I can guarantee they don't have 10k laying around in savings either.

I don't know what the answer is. There probably isn't a perfect answer, but I think it speaks to the greater problem with healthcare in this country. You shouldn't have to go broke or worry about going broke over going to the hospital or getting medical treatment.

My wife used to work in the Leukenia ward at UPMC, you had patients that even if they somehow managed to survive the disease ended up with tens of thousands or hundreds of thousands of dollars in hospital bills after the fact even with insurance. So yay you survived this awful disease, but now you are in debt for the rest of your life trying to pay off the bills for the medical treatment.

Like I said I don't know what the answer is, but the system is so broken.
Last edited by skullman80 on Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:49 am

The average American has under $9k in their bank account. It should not be difficult to do this math.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:26 am

Months ago in the summer, the news was loaded with stories along the lines of "Look how badly the US is f***ing up its response to Covid in comparison to Europe." Now, it's hard to find any stories mentioning that multiple of those European nations are experiencing caseloads that on a per-capita basis are far larger than anything the US saw in July.
It’s certainly alarming that their case counts are sky rocketing at the moment in Europe. That said, it’s not exactly as though the US has everything under control at this point. Case counts here continue to be on the rise in certain areas (yes, declining in others but as a nation we’re still ticking up since our valley in early/mid September).

This isn’t a zero sum game. Just because other areas are doing worse at the moment doesn’t mean the USA is better. Makes me wonder what the winter has in store for us.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:30 am

Yeah but Europe is so much more advanced than the Mericans.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:02 am

You have one of the most bizarre inferiority complexes I’ve ever seen.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:23 am

It's very important for us all to know, it's not important to be right, just that you can argue everyone else is wrong too.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:24 am

lol, they're both going in the wrong direction. Let's ignore that entire middle section, though.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:30 am

@Troy Loney - now do New York in the graph, make it so!

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:44 am

You have one of the most bizarre inferiority complexes I’ve ever seen.

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:45 am

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:53 am

@Troy Loney - now do New York in the graph, make it so!
I am waiting for the transition to NY actually succeeded, by letting the disease spread uncontrolled for a month, that was the proper way to deal with the virus. NY and Sweden are the only smart ones.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:41 am

At what point do we start thinking that Asian countries might have a higher prevalence of pre-existing immunity?

That study from Japan that followed almost two thousand people showed that they had almost 50% prevalence of the virus during their high in Tokyo.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:44 am

Looks like they have an efficacy signal, now just waiting to meet the new guidelines of following for two months after second shot.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:58 am

Presented pretty much without comment.
Our school year started 9/7, so we're 5 weeks in. In that time we've had 60 confirmed positive cases out of a district of 11,233 (students & staff). This week we had 15 cases.
The county's data has the last 7 day average @ 23/100k, which would come out to about 18 people per week in a district our size, so it seems to jive.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:04 pm

60? Acceptable. Carry on.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Fri Oct 16, 2020 1:39 pm

60? Acceptable. Carry on.
.0014% is acceptable to me. God damnit I sound like Grunts.