COVID-19

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:05 pm

I wonder if the Mexico situation is causing spillover to Arizona, TX and CA. It is mostly the southern counties that are having the massive spikes.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:17 pm

Local bars shut back down.
The fast response is definitely good to see.

I can’t find any links on this but reddit is also saying a 14 day quarantine for out of state travelers is in effect. And that masks are required in a restaurant unless actively eating (before it was just at the table).

Apparently they've also had trouble getting people who have tested positive or have come into contact with someone who tested positive to quarantine:

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:21 pm

How **** selfish do you have to be to not quarantine when you have COVID?

Btw, there is now an online form to report businesses who aren’t complying with guidelines:
https://expressforms.pa.gov/apps/pa/doh ... -Complaint

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:22 pm

He’s absolutely an idiot. The COVID response has proven that. That doesn’t mean it can be used as evidence that the same thing is happening in every major city where protests occurred, though. The discussion wasn’t NYC.
LA, Houston, Austin, Atlanta, and such all had massive protests. They are all seeing a massive increase in cases. I think it’s ignorance and bias to believe that they aren’t playing a significant role in increased infection.
Can't speak for the other areas, but in California the increase in cases has been linked more directly to reopening in-person businesses and dining, and especially bars (mostly because in the case of restaurants and bars, only around half the establishments are enforcing masks and social distancing for patrons once inside). The first county that had to pause their reopening was sparsely populated Lassen. This morning, the governor mandated the closure of bars in seven other counties - Fresno, Imperial, Kern, Kings, Los Angeles, San Joaquin and Tulare; outside of LA and Fresno, those counties are largely rural with under 200,000 residents, and are, how to put this, not exactly known for being hotbeds of political activism against police misconduct.

Do the protests pose an elevated risk? Almost certainly. But so far - and we're a month into these protests - it simply is not proving to be nearly as big a factor in increased transmission as indoor in-person co-mingling has been. Put it this way: We went for a coastal drive yesterday, to blow the stink off, as it were. There were probably 5x as many people at the the County Line and Zuma surf breaks as at any one protest in the area, even going back 3 or 4 weeks. So even if outdoor activity is leading to spikes in transmission, non-protesty conduct would be much more of an aggravating factor simply because there are many more people engaging in it.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:31 pm

I wonder if the Mexico situation is causing spillover to Arizona, TX and CA. It is mostly the southern counties that are having the massive spikes.
Again, not sure of the other places, but of the 8 counties in California that have just had to reverse course on reopening things like bars and such, only 2 of them are in SoCal (LA and Imperial, the latter of which is on the Mexico border). Four of them are sort of contiguous Central Valley counties (Fresno, Kings, Kern, Tulare), San Joaquin is east of Oakland, and Lassen is practically Oregon.

It's possible there's some spillover, but it's not what's driving things statewide.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:32 pm

Btw, there is now an online form to report businesses who aren’t complying with guidelines:

The same sort of selfish to not wear a mask?

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

People are real pieces of ****.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:36 pm

The same sort of selfish to not wear a mask?
Yep.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:52 pm

https://www.pghcitypaper.com/pittsburgh ... d=17538719

Allegheny County closing bars and on-site alcohol consumption in result to spike in COVID-19 cases
Allegheny County officials announced that bars will be forced to close immediately, and restaurants will not be allowed to serve alcohol on-site, in result to a recent spike in coronavirus cases. Enforcement will begin on Tue., June 30 at 5 p.m.

Allegheny County Executive Rich Fitzgerald said at a press conference today that contract tracing completed by the county has shown a couple of hot spots since the county moved into green phase on June 5, and those hot spots have been bars and restaurants that serve alcohol. Bars can still sell libations for take away.

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:53 pm

I wonder if all the obvious issues with bars will change MA reopening plans.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 28, 2020 5:58 pm

Bars are clearly a perfect storm for the rona. I would not at all be surprised if restaurants have to return to takeout only if cases continue to climb with the bars closed.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:00 pm

i'm not ready to rake anyone over the coals for a. the decision to reopen a few weeks ago and b. the abject failures when reopening bars. you cant logically keep everything closed when there is 5 new cases a day in allegheny county. you can't drink at a bar with a mask and have an enjoyable time. and most of all you cant sit here any mock the 'muh freedom' crowd for crowded bars in lawrenceville or the south side. lets not act like the people drinking and galavanting are all gun toting flag waving republicans

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:04 pm

Get'em warriors ^^^

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:05 pm

Bars are clearly a perfect storm for the rona. I would not at all be surprised if restaurants have to return to takeout only if cases continue to climb with the bars closed.
I'm actually surprised they aren't going back to takeout only. What about the alcohol makes it spread more? Lingering customers nursing a beer?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:05 pm

There's sort of a worst case scenario going on with bars. It's a confined area, so even at massively reduced capacity you're still in close quarters. And at that, people are being excessively stupid and not observing the barest minimum of mask wearing/social distancing, and businesses are not enforcing them.

Mrs Tif and I stated two weeks ago that we were in no hurry to go out to restaurants yet, and it looks like the rush to reopen things can charitably be described as 'too much too soon too fast'. I questioned what data the state was using in setting their reopening guidelines, but it's clear now that whatever they were doing it didn't take into proper account the (in retrospect likelihood) that people couldn't be trusted to be responsible. I saw it posted somewhere yesterday that the biggest mistake we've made so far is telling Americans that wearing masks is to protect other people. Like we give a s**t about someone else.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:05 pm

hockey hockey hockey

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

I'm actually surprised they aren't going back to takeout only. What about the alcohol makes it spread more? Lingering customers nursing a beer?
Yes, you're more likely to stick around longer if you're enjoying a - what was the $5 word - libation or five.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:06 pm

i'm not ready to rake anyone over the coals for a. the decision to reopen a few weeks ago and b. the abject failures when reopening bars. you cant logically keep everything closed when there is 5 new cases a day in allegheny county. you can't drink at a bar with a mask and have an enjoyable time. and most of all you cant sit here any mock the 'muh freedom' crowd for crowded bars in lawrenceville or the south side. lets not act like the people drinking and galavanting are all gun toting flag waving republicans
I'm assuming this post is pre-emptive? I don't think anyone blamed the muh freedoms people yet...

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:07 pm

I guess so. And constantly unmasked? The new guideline where you must wear a mask at all times except when actively eating seems like it’s going to be a son of a dodint to enforce. People can’t even throw a mask on when they leave their table to take a piss.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:08 pm

Yes, you're more likely to stick around longer if you're enjoying a - what was the $5 word - libation or five.
That makes sense. If you're out to eat you're more than likely in and out in an hour. Enjoying a few beers is likely to stretch out longer. Oh well. I didn't go out and still have no plans to do so for quite some time. I really really miss gigging though...

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:10 pm

That makes sense. If you're out to eat you're more than likely in and out in an hour. Enjoying a few beers is likely to stretch out longer. Oh well. I didn't go out and still have no plans to do so for quite some time. I really really miss gigging though...
Any word on outdoor venues opening back up?

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:17 pm

Any word on outdoor venues opening back up?
There are a few places doing outdoor shows. Usually smaller scale jazz and singer/songwriter stuff. My harp player had a gig yesterday at a Farmers Market. We have a festival were booked for in late August. It's run by a "Let everyone open up and make their own decisions" kind of guy. I'll wear a mask but I'll probably be the only one.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:18 pm

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:20 pm

Good news. Did I read the same thing happened during the 1918 flu pandemic? That deaths decreased during the summer and came back full force that winter?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:34 pm

I’m not absolving their actions, but I doubt people who are actually sick are going out. If you’re not feeling any symptoms you’re probably assuming you’re not a carrier, which is obviously false, but people are stupid