COVID-19

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:43 pm

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:54 pm

It's going to be tough for colleges and if they shut down in the fall, lookout. I was just notified today that I'm going back to work after 5 months. I'm going to be a medical screener at the entrance to a building on campus. I was basically told do this or there won't be a job to come back to.
Good luck eddy. Do you have to screen students daily that enter the building?
I guess? I've been told many different things in the last 24 hours. We're pretty much going with see you next week and we'll figure it out. What could go wrong with a bunch of college kids who were told please quarantine for 2 weeks before coming to campus as their primary safety measure.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:02 pm

Looks like Biden agrees with us mask wearers. I just don't agree with the outside part.

"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum," Biden told reporters at a hotel in Wilmington, Delaware

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-e ... s-n1236671

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:05 pm

Looks like Biden agrees with us mask wearers. I just don't agree with the outside part.

"Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside for the next three months, at a minimum," Biden told reporters at a hotel in Wilmington, Delaware

He should've said "Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside and unable to social distance for the next three months, at a minimum." In Allegheny, you're supposed to be masked up anytime you're in a public place, inside and out.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Thu Aug 13, 2020 4:14 pm

He should've said "Every single American should be wearing a mask when they're outside and unable to social distance for the next three months, at a minimum." In Allegheny, you're supposed to be masked up anytime you're in a public place, inside and out.
Yep, agree. Here in Warshington County it is easy to social distance anywhere outside. I wear masks in stores or gym. Outside not at all.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:11 pm

C.D.C. Guidance Shows Three-Month Window of Safety After Recovery
If you recover from the virus, you’re protected for up to three months, the C.D.C. says.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention updated their guidance recently to suggest that people who have recovered from the virus can safely mingle with others for three months.

It was a remarkable addition to the body of guidance from the agency, and the first acknowledgment that immunity to the virus may persist for three months.

In June, a study found that antibody levels could wane over a course of two to three months in people with confirmed infections who experienced mild symptoms or no symptoms. They drop off, but they may still be present at low levels, including below the limit of detection.

The latest C.D.C. guidance — which was tucked into public recommendations about who needs to quarantine — goes a bit further.

“People who have tested positive for Covid-19 do not need to quarantine or get tested again for up to three months as long as they do not develop symptoms again,” the guidance says. “People who develop symptoms again within three months of their first bout of Covid-19 may need to be tested again if there is no other cause identified for their symptoms.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/14/worl ... id-19.html

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:19 pm

Do they have proof of re-infection? So far as I know, there hasn’t been a case of confirmed re-infection yet in the entire world.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:27 pm

I feel like that article is just stating the common understanding that you are immune if you've got the anti-bodies, right? I don't see it saying that you are at risk after 3 months, just that they can say are safe for those first three months for sure.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:53 pm

Do they have proof of re-infection? So far as I know, there hasn’t been a case of confirmed re-infection yet in the entire world.
It is very unlikely which is a fantastic sign

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:54 pm

I feel like that article is just stating the common understanding that you are immune if you've got the anti-bodies, right? I don't see it saying that you are at risk after 3 months, just that they can say are safe for those first three months for sure.
Its probably not the antibodies though. Its the T Cells. I have no idea how that works but maybe T Cells stick around longer? Work differently? Remember how to defend longer?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:20 pm

T-cells, in actuality, pity the coronavirus into submission.

But they still ain’t gettin’ on no airplane.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:32 pm

I haven't seen proof because, especially if the 3 month rule is true, we're in the infancy of most people even being able to become re-infected. I have a buddy though that had SOMETHING back in January. the doctor called it pneumonia and didn't test him for COVID because it wasn't a thing yet in the USA. he and his wife had (confirmed) COVID in July. we'll never know for sure if he had COVID back in January, but it's possible.
and let's face it, re-infection is likely because you know, 2020.

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:35 pm

@NAN are you allowed out of the basement yet? How are you doing?

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm

Looks like as long as I am at the school, I will be tested weekly. You other university folks, is this the case for you as well?

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:09 pm

I haven't seen proof because, especially if the 3 month rule is true, we're in the infancy of most people even being able to become re-infected. I have a buddy though that had SOMETHING back in January. the doctor called it pneumonia and didn't test him for COVID because it wasn't a thing yet in the USA. he and his wife had (confirmed) COVID in July. we'll never know for sure if he had COVID back in January, but it's possible.
and let's face it, re-infection is likely because you know, 2020.
If you can be re-infected, I assume it would be far less severe.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:46 pm

PA Schools That Report COVID Case Won't Need To Be Evacuated https://kdkaradio.radio.com/articles/st ... covid-case
New guidance from the state health and education departments says in a moderate risk county like Allegheny, a few cases over 14 days mean a school should be shut for five to seven days.

More than five cases bring a two week closure.

Officials should wait 24 hours before cleaning and disinfecting, including buses and vans.

And every effort should be made to maintain confidentiality."
Interesting. Wonder how many closures we will see?

Tomas

COVID-19

Postby Tomas » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:06 pm

I need some quick recommendation:

I'm about to start teaching (8/24) and I have yet to find an ideal mask:

- has to be L or XL (every that says "one size fits all" does not cover my chin)
- has to have the "nose protecting wire" or whatever that's called (I'm unable to find L/XL mask that has it, and those that don't have the wire feel quite awkward)
- should have enough room around my mouth so that I can speak loudly to a classroom with capacity of 80 people with ceiling microphones (so it should not be a mask that tightly covers the face, and makes it difficult to open a mouth).

I have already made several attempts on Amazon and Walmart - and came disappointed every time.

Any suggestions (preferably with links) will be highly appreciated!

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 pm

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:42 pm

- has to be L or XL (every that says "one size fits all" does not cover my chin)
- has to have the "nose protecting wire" or whatever that's called (I'm unable to find L/XL mask that has it, and those that don't have the wire feel quite awkward)
- should have enough room around my mouth so that I can speak loudly to a classroom with capacity of 80 people with ceiling microphones (so it should not be a mask that tightly covers the face, and makes it difficult to open a mouth).

I have already made several attempts on Amazon and Walmart - and came disappointed every time.

I have purchased masks for myself, wife, and daughter, all on etsy.com. You can find just about any mask type on there.

The shops that I've used are on a break right now, probably because they've been going non-stop since March. Here's my preferred style: https://www.etsy.com/listing/781416010/ ... d-the-head. The material angles up to cover the nose, and secures around your head instead of behind your ears. The design is vastly more comfortable.
Last edited by NTP66 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:45 pm

Try Etsy. I had the opposite problem - needed smaller masks. there is more customization options on etsy (just make sure it is US based or you might not get it for a bit). And if you find a size that fits that doesn't have the wire, you can buy adhesive-backed nose-pinch things on Amazon.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:20 pm

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:10 pm

Good news about Covid, seems impossible but I like it.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:28 pm

If the United States allowed coronavirus infections to run rampant to achieve possible herd immunity, the death toll would be massive, especially among vulnerable people, the nation's top infectious doctor said.

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, explained the risks during a live Instagram session.

"If everyone contracted it, even with the relatively high percentage of people without symptoms ... a lot of people are going to die," Fauci said.

At least 167,298 people have died in the US from coronavirus, Johns Hopkins University reported Friday.

"You look at the United States of America, with our epidemic of obesity as it were. With the number of people with hypertension. With the number of people with diabetes. If everyone got infected, the death toll would be enormous and totally unacceptable," Fauci said.
Interesting bit from Dr. Fauci.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:30 pm

@NAN are you allowed out of the basement yet? How are you doing?
I'm good. Feel good. Just a few lingering things, but I feel a crapload better.

My one kids was positive, but showing no symptoms. Wife and other kid are negative somehow. We are still just hanging around the house, although we've gone for a few walks just up and down the street to get some freshair, but the neighborhood knows we are toxic and stays away.

Overall, we were pretty fortunate. It wasn't too bad as long as nothing unexpected pops up.

Thanks for asking!

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:31 pm

All 4 were on the Cards too.