COVID-19

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:24 am

A lot of people that I know don't want to go back to the office full time.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:25 am

Oh I definitely don't want to go back to the office full time.I thought NTP was saying it still wouldn't be safe to do so.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:30 am

The people that do want everyone back are typically the ones that are calling the shots... the higher ups are going to say "alright, it's safe... everyone back!" Without taking a minute to think: is that the way they should do it?

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:33 am

Can vaccinated folks still 'carry' and spread the virus to others? I thought that was true. The basis for them still having to the social distance through the rollout. The same way asymptomatic people can spread it.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:40 am

The people that do want everyone back are typically the ones that are calling the shots... the higher ups are going to say "alright, it's safe... everyone back!" Without taking a minute to think: is that the way they should do it?
I said very early on that leadership doesn’t care about WFH. Management that is bad at their job does.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:55 am

Can vaccinated folks still 'carry' and spread the virus to others? I thought that was true. The basis for them still having to the social distance through the rollout. The same way asymptomatic people can spread it.
Unknown as of yet. You can make guesses based on what we already know about the disease, but for hard and fast data showing they can or cannot spread it? Not available at this point in time.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 am

Ah, thanks.

I know there was, one of many, doomsday articles where Fauci was going on about having to wear masks for the next couple of years regardless of the vaccines. I guess it was more of a best practices opinion rather than anything rooted in imperial fact.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:02 am

Well, Fauci has also said he expects the USA to go back to some sort of normalcy by Fall, so...

I think we might potentially see masks become a thing here. I know I'll consider throwing one on in the future should I feel ill. Give others some protection from what I've got.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:08 am

I wouldn't mind the US adopting a Japanese approach to masks. I don't see that happening though. We can't get everybody to wear a mask in the middle of the pandemic. Nobody is going to wear one once vaccinated.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:09 am

I'll wear one through mass availability of the vaccine. If only to give the minimum wage guy at the door at Giant Eagle a break from having to confront me about it. And it's not like it's hard.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:12 am

Yeah I think people will follow the guidelines until most are vaccinated. At a certain point, the restrictions and guidelines will need to be lifted. Once you tell people no more masks, nobody is going to wear a mask again.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:13 am

That's the biggest thing I don't fully get with the mask thing... either it helps or it doesn't, right? There are varying degrees of "helps", but it's either one or the other. If it helps, I'm doing the right thing by wearing it. If it doesn't, like does absolutely nothing at all, the harm is that I had to put a piece of cloth over my face. That's not much skin off my nose.

But the other way around... it helps and you refuse to wear it. You could literally be killing people.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:16 am

I said very early on that leadership doesn’t care about WFH. Management that is bad at their job does.
This is the truth. Executive leadership doesn't care. Middle managers like @NAN are the priblem

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:17 am

You're breathing in C02 and harming your immune system!!!!

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:23 am

Unknown as of yet. You can make guesses based on what we already know about the disease, but for hard and fast data showing they can or cannot spread it? Not available at this point in time.
As a non-expert in virology, doesn't the presence of the spike protein pathogen trigger the immune response in vaccinated individuals? Logically, if you're vaccinated and you get a ball of Wuhan up your nose, that response gets triggered and goes to work before more replication-competent virus can be formed, right? So it seems like the biggest risk is the period of time between infection and the body stopping it from replicating. No clue if thats minutes, hours, days... but even if you sneeze afterwards you'd probably be shooting out weakly charged viral goo thats a lot less communicable than a non-vaccinated goo ball. Especially if you have a mask. Right?

I get there isn't data, but like, we know stuff.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:25 am

You can make guesses based on what we already know about the disease.... yes.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:25 am

When I'm vaccinated, I will wear a mask where I'm asked to and nowhere else.

Ha. Wear a mask where I'm asked.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:28 am

It seems like a pretty reasonable guess though. I think people hear "we don't know if being vaccinated stops you from being on team superspreader" and think that means its possible you can transmit it at the exact same level as before. And its also kinda framed as such within headlines.

Really its pretty unlikely that you can spread it readily once you have antibodies. The risk is just non-zero at this point and we don't know how non-zero it is.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:03 pm

This is what I was getting at. None of the guys I work with want to go back to the office.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:01 pm

It seems like a pretty reasonable guess though. I think people hear "we don't know if being vaccinated stops you from being on team superspreader" and think that means its possible you can transmit it at the exact same level as before. And its also kinda framed as such within headlines.

Really its pretty unlikely that you can spread it readily once you have antibodies. The risk is just non-zero at this point and we don't know how non-zero it is.
I'm not a virologist, I'm not an immunologist, I'm not a biologist or anything really with the background that would be qualified to question such things. When I first heard the discussion about being able to transmit the disease after being immunized, my first thought was right with you... "how silly, of course you're not going to spread it." The more I read those -ists questioning it, the more I realized that's something that I just don't know, so why guess? I'll wait to see what the studies show.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:04 pm

This is what I was getting at. None of the guys I work with want to go back to the office.
Companies have to be brain-dead to not assess their business and realize they could remove an entire years rent from a large building, and save money by going smaller or reducing on-site staff.

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:43 pm

I definitely want to go back to my office full time. I don't like working from home, and honestly my productivity has absolutely dropped while working from home. Working from home doesn't feel like working.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:53 pm

I have no desire to go back to the office. Honestly I have little desire to work at all. If I could just retire tomorrow that would be the most preferable outcome.

Tomas

COVID-19

Postby Tomas » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:57 pm

I definitely want to go back to my office full time. I don't like working from home, and honestly my productivity has absolutely dropped while working from home. Working from home doesn't feel like working.
I totally understand your point. I have been working from my office since September, and it massively improved my productivity, as well as restored some sense of personal sanity.

Benefits of working in a state that wants to keep things open, I guess... :)

(What helps though is the fact that I have my personal office and I don't have to share it with anyone. I feel completely safe at work - but I probably would not feel as secure working out of an open space...)

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:04 pm

Companies have to be brain-dead to not assess their business and realize they could remove an entire years rent from a large building, and save money by going smaller or reducing on-site staff.
I was thinking about this a couple weeks ago as I drove by the massive expanse that Southpointe is now.... even a year out of COVID no longer being a factor I wonder what their occupancy will be. There's not really a ton of industry there, it's primarily just office space.