NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am

:lol: Oh, sweet irony.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:40 am

1) What does it matter that China lied?
2) What does it matter if this was circulating in the US in December?

Both of these points seem rather meaningless at this time.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am

I'm not sure... if anything, it's a loss for Trump. His biggest talking point on what he did to stop the spread is even more moot now. He stopped flights from China after it was already here and spreading. Now it just moves to he stopped flights from China well after it was already here.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:42 am

I believe it... That said, I don't believe the illness that I, and many others reported having, in January/February was COVID. Friends and colleagues I've talked to said it was the worst cold they've ever had, and to my recent memory, I agree. I was quite sick. Lead to a sinus infection, which in turn (surprise, surprise) lead to an acute loss of smell and taste. The reason I don't suspect that to be COVID is because many people I know that got that illness also donate blood and as a part of that got antibodies tested. All came back negative. I know there are studies showing only 50% or so of people develop detectible levels of antibodies, but including myself, I know of at least 9 people that had that cold (or at least something with identical symptoms to mine) and were tested and came back negative. Many of these people I am in weekly communication with, and I met (in person) with at the end of February at a conference. Some from California, Minnesota, Texas, Philly, and of course my own coworkers.

So while I do believe it was spreading prior to what was initially reported (isn't that always the case with these things?), there was also some other bug making its way across the country.
Did you have any after effects with breathing/lung problems. The kangaroo's girlfriend had similar symptoms plus a week or two (maybe even three) of lunch problems. I forget the term that we were throwing around here for the post-covid lunch problems, but they wouldn't go away until she was prescribed some steroids.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:44 am

Lunch problems

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:44 am

Like Striker's drinking problem, right?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:46 am

I believe it... That said, I don't believe the illness that I, and many others reported having, in January/February was COVID. Friends and colleagues I've talked to said it was the worst cold they've ever had, and to my recent memory, I agree. I was quite sick. Lead to a sinus infection, which in turn (surprise, surprise) lead to an acute loss of smell and taste. The reason I don't suspect that to be COVID is because many people I know that got that illness also donate blood and as a part of that got antibodies tested. All came back negative. I know there are studies showing only 50% or so of people develop detectible levels of antibodies, but including myself, I know of at least 9 people that had that cold (or at least something with identical symptoms to mine) and were tested and came back negative. Many of these people I am in weekly communication with, and I met (in person) with at the end of February at a conference. Some from California, Minnesota, Texas, Philly, and of course my own coworkers.

So while I do believe it was spreading prior to what was initially reported (isn't that always the case with these things?), there was also some other bug making its way across the country.
Did you have any after effects with breathing/lung problems. The kangaroo's girlfriend had similar symptoms plus a week or two (maybe even three) of lunch problems. I forget the term that we were throwing around here for the post-covid lunch problems, but they wouldn't go away until she was prescribed some steroids.
It was a really bad cough that settled into your chest. Some nasals stuff, but not a ton. It wasn't so much labored breathing, but more if you take a deep breath you'd immediately start hacking up a lung slug. LOTS of mucus. From there it went to post-nasal drip and ear aches. Mucusy gross cough lasted about 2 weeks. Other symptoms lasted about a week further before I went to the doc and they gave me prednisone and an antibiotic. Cleared it up immediately.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:55 am

1) What does it matter that China lied?
2) What does it matter if this was circulating in the US in December?

Both of these points seem rather meaningless at this time.
Well, I mean on #1 that along with the corruption at WHO changed how most nations responded (especially in Europe) to the spread of Covid. So it matters quite a bit that China lied, and that the U.N. organization tasked with overseeing the World's health concerns helped China hide the nature and severity of the problem until it had spread out of control.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:57 am

So.....what? What does that mean? What's going to change? How does this help for the future? How does this help now?

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:58 am

I think PFIDC was meaning, what does it matter for the pandemic now, at this point. What's done is done. Moving forward, there should certainly be action taken to prevent that sort of thing happening in the future, but none of that matters at the moment for this particular problem we're facing.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Tue Dec 01, 2020 8:59 am

I'm not even sure it helps for the future. Can anyone get China to stop being China?

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:02 am

This is the biggest pandemic to hit the world in a century... yes, things will change due to this.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:08 am

I'm not sure... if anything, it's a loss for Trump. His biggest talking point on what he did to stop the spread is even more moot now. He stopped flights from China after it was already here and spreading. Now it just moves to he stopped flights from China well after it was already here.
The talking point yesterday, was that Trump is smarter than CNN because CNN posted what Trump has been "saying from the start." It has nothing to do with what he did or didn't do, just who blamed who first. Fitting that it ended up here, lmao.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:12 am

I don't ever want lunch problems

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:39 am

to me, China lying or th virus being in the US since December isn't important but interesting. I don't mind those posts

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:40 am

Everyone is a comedian, even in the covid thread

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue Dec 01, 2020 11:55 am

As suspected.

I had this. December 18.

However maybe not given the way i feel today

Nuge

COVID-19

Postby Nuge » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:59 pm

I was as sick as I've been in years last March (10th through about 17th). I was down for about a week with a pretty severe cough, fever, and congestion. My symptoms lingered for about 1-2 weeks after I started feeling better. I've wondered if it was Covid, but I'm skeptical that it actually was. I never lost my taste or smell and my wife and son never got sick. They also both got a flu shot last year and I did not. It was very weird to be sick while the world was shutting down to stop people from getting sick.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:05 pm

When was the COVID antibody test deployed vs when your cohorts donated blood?

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:09 pm

I was as sick as I've been in years last March (10th through about 17th). I was down for about a week with a pretty severe cough, fever, and congestion. My symptoms lingered for about 1-2 weeks after I started feeling better. I've wondered if it was Covid, but I'm skeptical that it actually was. I never lost my taste or smell and my wife and son never got sick. They also both got a flu shot last year and I did not. It was very weird to be sick while the world was shutting down to stop people from getting sick.
in February we traveled to NYC with another couple. in the middle of the trip, actually in the middle of one of the Broadway shows we went to, the wife became very ill very quickly. she had fever, cough, congestion. they are both medical people so her husband was able to take care of her. no one else in the room came down with it. we've often wondered if it was COVID or even a pre-curser.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:31 pm

When was the COVID antibody test deployed vs when your cohorts donated blood?
I'm sorry? I don't understand the question...

We were all sick roughly between New Years and Mid/Late February. I know I donated blood in June? July? And that's when my antibodies were tested. Some of my colleagues did it in May.

I know there are some studies that show antibody levels go lower in some after a few months, but if memory serves that was largely for low/no symptoms from the disease? I was knocked the f*ck out from mine, as were many of my friends. I'd imagine someone would have at least had a trace level of antibodies had it been COVID.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:38 pm

I forget exactly when the COVID antibody test was deployed, but I seem to remember it not coming out until late March/early April, and those early tests were not super reliable iirc. Was just curious as to the timeline difference between sickness and blood donation/testing.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:46 pm

When I had it, I never lost my sense of taste/smell. I also didn't have a fever. I'm knowing more and more people that have gotten it and everyone has had different symptoms and various degrees of it.

My mom tested positive and was asymptomatic.

In my household, my daughter tested positive, but never showed any symptoms as well.

You may have had it. Who knows though.

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I forget exactly when the COVID antibody test was deployed, but I seem to remember it not coming out until late March/early April, and those early tests were not super reliable iirc. Was just curious as to the timeline difference between sickness and blood donation/testing.
Ah, I see. Yeah, they were all early/mid summer when the testing was performed.

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:55 pm

Wasn't sure if this should go in the COVID or Religion topics.