COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:13 pm

damn

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:34 pm

:lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 21, 2020 1:43 pm

And. AND. They should be sheep, not cows. Big miss...

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:07 pm

More accurate would be a cartoon of 1,000 cows with 2 dead.
Even more accurate would be a cartoon of 1,000 cows with 2 dead and 500 more or less sick.
Or 330 million cows with 210 million infections and 1.3 million dead cows.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:22 pm

Hold up.... how are cows supposed to wear masks and chew their cud?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:24 pm

LIBERATE THE PASTURE!

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:26 pm

JFC I wish the CDC would get this crap right.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/09/21/health/c ... index.html

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:34 pm

In language posted Friday and now removed, CDC said Covid-19 most commonly spread between people who are in close contact with one another, and went on to say it's known to spread "through respiratory droplets or small particles, such as those in aerosols, produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, sings, talks or breathes." These particles can cause infection when "inhaled into the nose, mouth, airways, and lungs," the agency said. "This is thought to be the main way the virus spreads." "There is growing evidence that droplets and airborne particles can remain suspended in the air and be breathed in by others, and travel distances beyond 6 feet (for example, during choir practice, in restaurants, or in fitness classes)," the page said in the Friday update, which has since been removed. "In general, indoor environments without good ventilation increase this risk."

In the Friday update, the CDC had added new measures to protect yourself in others, including recommendations to use air purifiers to reduce airborne germs in indoors spaces and clear guidance to "stay at least 6 feet away from others, whenever possible." The updated CDC page had also changed language around asymptomatic transmission, shifting from saying "some people without symptoms may be able to spread the virus" to saying "people who are infected but do not show symptoms can spread the virus to others." That language has now been removed.
... perhaps I'm just being dense here, but what did they remove that has anyone upset about the changes? Is it the "beyond 6 feet" part? I also don't see what difference the language makes in the asymptomatic part of the change...

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:45 pm

The Friday update included the recognition of airborne transmission, which CDC doctors/researches have been pushing for since like April.

If I'm reading this right, the problematic thing here is the removal of the language in the Friday update, not the Friday update. It is troubling that we are 5 months into this and the medical/scientific advice by career staffers at CDC still isn't being acknowledged by the appointees running the agency.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 2:47 pm

Specifically calling out gyms, restaurants, churches, in saying that droplets can stay suspended in the air long enough to effect people outside the typical 6' range. I'm sure that ruffled some feathers.
Additionally the Friday update said asymptomatic people can spread the disease, versus may (which indicates it's unknown if they can transmit it).

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:02 pm

More accurate would be a cartoon of 1,000 cows with 2 dead.
Even more accurate would be a cartoon of 1,000 cows with 2 dead and 500 more or less sick.
Or 330 million cows with 210 million infections and 1.3 million dead cows.
Actually, 600k maybe.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:09 pm

So even in the pie-in-the-sky optimistic herd immunity advocate projection, more than 3x as many deaths than we've had to date.

Good talk.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:21 pm

We should do whatever China is doing. No reported Covid deaths since April 17th. :face:

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:37 pm

So even in the pie-in-the-sky optimistic herd immunity advocate projection, more than 3x as many deaths than we've had to date.

Good talk.
Actually less than 3x. It isn’t pie in the sky optimistic either. Anyone that has a brain and can read can look it up. Sorry you are that misinformed.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:54 pm

Specifically calling out gyms, restaurants, churches, in saying that droplets can stay suspended in the air long enough to effect people outside the typical 6' range. I'm sure that ruffled some feathers.
Additionally the Friday update said asymptomatic people can spread the disease, versus may (which indicates it's unknown if they can transmit it).
been a while since ive dropped in here

related to asymptomatic - there are a few misnomers:

truly asymptomatic carrier - someone tests positive and has never had symptoms ever - data suggests this person is very unlikely to transmit virus
pre-symptomatic - someone tests positive, asymptomatic at time of collection, develops symptoms within 48 hours - data suggests this is the fabled asymptomatic hitman that is infecting everyone and this person is able to transmit live virus
hospitalized/previously sick person now asymptomatic but still testing positive for up to 12 weeks - very unlikely this person will transmit live virus that can be contracted by another human 14-20 days post resolution of fever and severe respiratory symptoms

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:56 pm

truly asymptomatic carrier - someone tests positive and has never had symptoms ever - data suggests this person is very unlikely to transmit virus
pre-symptomatic - someone tests positive, asymptomatic at time of collection, develops symptoms within 48 hours - data suggests this is the fabled asymptomatic hitman that is infecting everyone and this person is able to transmit live virus
hospitalized/previously sick person now asymptomatic but still testing positive for up to 12 weeks - very unlikely this person will transmit live virus that can be contracted by another human 14-20 days post resolution of fever and severe respiratory symptoms
Thank you kindly

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:58 pm

I was unware of that. I thought that's what was causing this virus to be so uncontrollable and so different was the fact that truly asymptomatic carriers were passing this thing on to others.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:15 pm

Good talk.
Actually less than 3x. It isn’t pie in the sky optimistic either. Anyone that has a brain and can read can look it up. Sorry you are that misinformed.
Please get on the blower and tell those dopes at Johns Hopkins they don't know what they're on about.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:16 pm

This is useful context, thank you.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:18 pm

Good talk.
Please get on the blower and tell those dopes at Johns Hopkins they don't know what they're on about.

PFiDC

COVID-19

Postby PFiDC » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I was unware of that. I thought that's what was causing this virus to be so uncontrollable and so different was the fact that truly asymptomatic carriers were passing this thing on to others.
That and, as LITT mentioned, the currently asymptomatic person who is about to show symptoms. That person is what is most troubling.

But even so, I was also under the impression that completely asymptomatic cases could transmit live virus. I think this is good news all around.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:22 pm

Sorry, I'm just completely over the notion of herd immunity as a viable go-forward strategy. I shall refrain from further comment on the matter ITT.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:09 pm

Sorry, I'm just completely over the notion of herd immunity as a viable go-forward strategy. I shall refrain from further comment on the matter ITT.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytime ... y.amp.html

Discusses that herd immunity doesn’t have to be up to 70%.

It isn’t settled science. So if you don’t want to discuss it further, that is up to you but don’t act like your side is correct and my side is incorrect. As of right now, neither is correct.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:53 pm

But don’t act like your side is correct and my side is incorrect. As of right now, neither is correct.
The best two sentences posted here in a while imo

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:58 pm

Low bar.