COVID-19

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:04 pm

How can we know about this "permanent damage" thing already...? The people that have recovered from it have recovered like last Tuesday...? How can we be so sure of this whole permanent damage thing? Especially for young people...?

I don't know the answer, so it's a legit question...it just seems very presumptive on its face...
There are studies coming out. Trying to find it... but it said that it most likely won’t be permanent damage for a majority of people.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:06 pm

Where am I saying it's a certainty?

My original post said "if the develop chronic conditions". And considering it's taken some people on the younger side (I'm talking 20s) months to recover to the point where they can even take a flight of stairs (some are still having issues), is it that far out of the realm of possibility that we see students develop similar issues?
Its not, but your Ifs aren't held to a higher standard than nobody and Freddy's Ifs.

What if there are chronic health conditions vs what if there are mental health concerns are both rooted in speculation, outside of anecdotal evidence one way or the other.

At the end of the day (and I hate people who use that), both belong on the decision making table.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:08 pm

No it's pretty obvious that some of us hope kids die and don't care about old people because we don't toe the "we care so much" line. :lol: :slug:

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:12 pm

That's not what I said but ok

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:13 pm

Question for the people who know stuff about health. I have a family member who "decided" in consultation with his doctors to go into a medically induced coma and on mechanical ventilation to "assist in his oxygen saturation while his lungs recover". In other words, it's being sold to me as something other than a last ditch effort to keep him alive. Is this a thing that doctors do?

It seems that after 24 hours they were able to decrease his oxygen support from 100%.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:15 pm

It's weird to me that everyone says "think of the kids who will kill themselves if they don't go back to school" but those people never consider the kids that will kill themselves if they get sick and develop life-long/chronic pain and illnesses due to the virus. Not to mention the ones that the virus outright kills.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm

I'll be honest, I sustained long term psychological trauma when my mom told me I couldn't play hockey anymore when I was 12

Nuge

COVID-19

Postby Nuge » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:16 pm

Circling back to the piaa issue, I’d like to see them use the model from another state (New York maybe?). Winter sports start in January for 2 months, then fall sports for 2 months, then spring sports for 2 months. It’s not ideal, but at least everyone gets their (shortened) seasons in.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:18 pm

It's weird to me that everyone says "think of the kids who will kill themselves if they don't go back to school" but those people never consider the kids that will kill themselves if they get sick and develop life-long/chronic pain and illnesses due to the virus. Not to mention the ones that the virus outright kills.

Where do I say "you hope kids die, Freddy."

And with that I'm bowing out because it's clear you have your mind made up and we're just going to go around in circles.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:22 pm

Circling back to the piaa issue, I’d like to see them use the model from another state (New York maybe?). Winter sports start in January for 2 months, then fall sports for 2 months, then spring sports for 2 months. It’s not ideal, but at least everyone gets their (shortened) seasons in.
I find this to be reasonable. Anything not played in fall should be postponed.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:23 pm

The mental stuff is so tough, and it's something I talk about with my friends about often as they are largely big mental healthy advocates and explore ways to improve it...there's just no way to know what level of [whatever] (anxiety, suicidal thoughts, elation, etc.) someone else is fighting with and what level they're maintaining...

I know what my head is like and I know what I'm able to push through. But I'll never know if MIMH's "psychological trauma" is 10x "easier" to deal with than what I deal with on a Sunday or Monday morning after one of my patented benders or 10x "harder"...

It's always been very interesting to me and something I've always kind of wanted to know (even though I generally don't have interest in digging into people's secrets) is where I stand relative to my peers in, let's say, mental fortitude, crudely...

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:37 pm

I feel horrible for kids losing their senior seasons - those without college sporting aspirations more than those that will go on to be honest. Not knowing you played your last game would be a gut punch. My cousin just went through it wrestling at OSU before NCAAs. I'd like to see some data that the mental damage is greater than the potential damage the virus would do
I don't disagree with you. But it's important to remember that in October of last year this thing didn't exist, so sort of the sum total of human knowledge of SARS-Cov-2/COVID-19 has only been amassed in 10-ish months.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:55 pm

Interesting read. What about the kids that don't play organized sports in high school or college. Don't the majority just watch sports? I was just an uncoordinated kid that only played with other neighborhood kids like me in a few sports at our local parks. In college there was no chance to play anything but pick-up games with friends. I don't think I suffered any great damage by being a nerd. Then again, maybe I did and just don't realize it.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:58 pm

Interesting read. What about the kids that don't play organized sports in high school or college. Don't the majority just watch sports? I was just an uncoordinated kid that only played with other neighborhood kids like me in a few sports at our local parks. In college there was no chance to play anything but pick-up games with friends. I don't think I suffered any great damage by being a nerd. Then again, maybe I did and just don't realize it.
Aren’t after school activities of all kinds being discontinued though?

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:11 pm

I absolutely hated after school activities/organized sports/etc. My health went in the right direction when my parents finally realized to stop forcing me into these things.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:35 pm

How do you play contact sports and ensure safety? Or is it just a situation where you go all in and hope for the best?

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:38 pm

Also the mental health problems are real and need to be addressed regardless of if sports return. I spent 7 years working in a high school in a very small district. During those 7 years, 4 kids committed suicide. It tore the school apart and mental health was a huge focal point for a while. But it didn’t take long for it to fade into the background again.

So: no sports or after school activities? What are you doing as a district to help these kids mentally?
Last edited by nocera on Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:39 pm

How can we know about this "permanent damage" thing already...? The people that have recovered from it have recovered like last Tuesday...? How can we be so sure of this whole permanent damage thing? Especially for young people...?

I don't know the answer, so it's a legit question...it just seems very presumptive on its face...
Nobody can answer that yet. There is enough evidence to suggest that it's a very real possibility, though. Time is required to confirm everything, which is why I'm firming in the 'better safe than sorry' camp when it comes to children. The last thing I want is for my daughter to wind up with some kind of chronic illness thanks to this.
:thumb:

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:58 pm

Again, there's no right answer. Stop acting like there is one.
There are obvious drawbacks to every choice and there's not enough information to determine which is the least of evils.

Get out of your trenches.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:23 pm

:thumb:

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:26 pm

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:28 pm

OPEN THE SCHOOLS!!!

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:31 pm

I thought church was okay?

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:58 pm

Tough day for the buckeye state in this here thread

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:01 pm

Again, there's no right answer. Stop acting like there is one.
There are obvious drawbacks to every choice and there's not enough information to determine which is the least of evils.

Get out of your trenches.
If we had an upvote/downvote system in the politics thread, after enough down votes, that post is replaced with this and you get PM'd this every hour for the rest of the day...