COVID-19

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Were definitely more normal. I drive past Mt Lebanon every day and there are droves of people using the ball fields, tennis courts, etc like its any other year.

My position is that unless school is in person, sports are unjustifiable.

If kids are back in school though, there's no reason most of the fall sports can't happen safely.

Football is the toughest because of the size of the rosters and how many kids are bussing to a game. But if they get really creative and limit roster size for games, no band/cheerleaders, nobody in the stands, is it really that risky?

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:37 pm

Snowflakes

So you are ok with inner city school kids possibly not having sports? A good percentage of these kids use sports to get into college. That could be really hurt a lot of fringe players or people missing their recruitment year.
I would love for them to have sports if it is safe for all to do so. I coached baseball this summer - I understand the dynamics of recruiting.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:38 pm

You tell me. It's not only about the kids, they pass it onto family members and friends, but you know this
You tell me when we have to start going back to a more normal for the low risk (I.E. below 65 years old and not morbidly obese)?

What happens if we don’t ever get a vaccine?
Idk man, I'm not the one making these decisions. What's more normal? I feel like we are more normal here than we were in March/April
No more limits on society and People taking precautions on their own?
That just sounds like normal to me. More normal implied some restrictions still

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:38 pm

It seems like this is the first time since March that U18s will face a disproportionate level of potential exposure. I don't know what it has been like where you all are, but when I've made store runs over the last five months, that demographic has been hugely underrepresented among patrons, noticeably so compared to the Before Times. Granted, outside of a dentist visit in June I haven't stepped into a business for anything other than 'essential goods' in nearly 150 days.

It's possible - however unlikely - that part of the reason we haven't seen a huge level of transmission among kids is because they have escaped a large amount of direct risk during this whole thing.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:40 pm

It's weird to me that everyone says "think of the kids who will kill themselves if they don't go back to school" but those people never consider the kids that will kill themselves if they get sick and develop life-long/chronic pain and illnesses due to the virus. Not to mention the ones that the virus outright kills.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:42 pm

You tell me. It's not only about the kids, they pass it onto family members and friends, but you know this
You tell me when we have to start going back to a more normal for the low risk (I.E. below 65 years old and not morbidly obese)?

What happens if we don’t ever get a vaccine?
Idk man, I'm not the one making these decisions. What's more normal? I feel like we are more normal here than we were in March/April
No more limits on society and People taking precautions on their own?
That just sounds like normal to me. More normal implied some restrictions still
I would be ok with the flu vaccine being mandatory if you want to work, go to school, or function with society as a whole.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:43 pm

I'm not sure why some people in here are suddenly pretending like physical activity doesnt stimulate the release of mood-regulating endorphins.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:46 pm

I feel horrible for kids losing their senior seasons - those without college sporting aspirations more than those that will go on to be honest. Not knowing you played your last game would be a gut punch. My cousin just went through it wrestling at OSU before NCAAs. I'd like to see some data that the mental damage is greater than the potential damage the virus would do
Last edited by willeyeam on Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:47 pm

School sanctioned sports aren't the only option for kids to have physical activity that stimulate the release of mood-regulating endorphins, btw

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:48 pm

It's weird to me that everyone says "think of the kids who will kill themselves if they don't go back to school" but those people never consider the kids that will kill themselves if they get sick and develop life-long/chronic pain and illnesses due to the virus. Not to mention the ones that the virus outright kills.
You are right, no one thinks of those children. :lol:

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:49 pm

For as much time as nobody and you spend handwringing about kids not going to school in-person, could've fooled me.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:50 pm

What a weird exchange...

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm

School sanctioned sports aren't the only option for kids to have physical activity that stimulate the release of mood-regulating endorphins, btw
No, they're not, but that doesnt make it an unworthy discussion that brings about degrading emoji and/or dismissive responses.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm

Over 180 confirmed Pediatric flu deaths last season, 80 confirmed pediatric covid deaths.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:52 pm

I dunno it's just weird to me that we keep hearing "Kids need to be in school, kids need to be in school, and if they aren't they'll commit suicide" but no one here has ever even mentioned the possible consequences beyond that because... I don't know?

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Over 180 confirmed Pediatric flu deaths last season, 80 confirmed pediatric covid deaths.

"Life-long/chronic pain and illness"

Also, you know damn well that number is low because schools had the common sense to shut things down well before things got out of hand. Things haven't gotten better, and now we're throwing children to the wolves, so to speak. That number almost certainly will rise.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:55 pm

I dunno it's just weird to me that we keep hearing "Kids need to be in school, kids need to be in school, and if they aren't they'll commit suicide" but no one here has ever even mentioned the possible consequences beyond that because... I don't know?
Its a fair point, but I just dont think there's data indicating long-term consequences in a significant enough percentage kids for that to be a big part of the discussion. It could be because its too early to tell, or it could be because there isnt. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm

What a silly comment.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:56 pm

This is the new 'the cure can't be worse than the virus' nonsense.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 pm

This is the new 'the cure can't be worse than the virus' nonsense.
if you're above this conversation, why don't you just not participate?

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:57 pm

"Life-long/chronic pain and illness"

Also, you know damn well that number is low because schools had the common sense to shut things down well before things got out of hand. Things haven't gotten better, and now we're throwing children to the wolves, so to speak. That number almost certainly will rise.
The flu damages kids as well.... I know plenty of people that got myocarditis from the flu as children. It isn’t unheard of...

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:58 pm

Its a fair point, but I just dont think there's data indicating long-term consequences in a significant enough percentage kids for that to be a big part of the discussion. It could be because its too early to tell, or it could be because there isnt. Anecdotal evidence is just that.

Considering we immediately shut down schools when this all started, I think we're definitely in the "too early to tell" stage.

Kids have not been exposed en-masse to this yet, but forcing them into schools will almost certainly do it.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Aug 06, 2020 2:59 pm

How can we know about this "permanent damage" thing already...? The people that have recovered from it have recovered like last Tuesday...? How can we be so sure of this whole permanent damage thing? Especially for young people...?

I don't know the answer, so it's a legit question...it just seems very presumptive on its face...

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm

How can we know about this "permanent damage" thing already...? The people that have recovered from it have recovered like last Tuesday...? How can we be so sure of this whole permanent damage thing? Especially for young people...?

I don't know the answer, so it's a legit question...it just seems very presumptive on its face...
Nobody can answer that yet. There is enough evidence to suggest that it's a very real possibility, though. Time is required to confirm everything, which is why I'm firming in the 'better safe than sorry' camp when it comes to children. The last thing I want is for my daughter to wind up with some kind of chronic illness thanks to this.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:02 pm

Where am I saying it's a certainty?

My original post said "if the develop chronic conditions". And considering it's taken some people on the younger side (I'm talking 20s) months to recover to the point where they can even take a flight of stairs (some are still having issues), is it that far out of the realm of possibility that we see students develop similar issues?