COVID-19

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:13 am

Woke up with a sore throat. I swear to god, if @NAN gave me COVID, I will not be happy
:pop:

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:14 am

NAN, any idea how you were exposed?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:15 am

Woke up with a sore throat. I swear to god, if @NAN gave me COVID, I will not be happy
How close was his ass to your face, man? Six feet!
Oh man. We were WAY closer than six feet

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:42 am

Anyone else still without a haircut this year? My last one was 12/15 or so but I did cut off 2" from the front as it was in my eyes.
I'm still going strong with my Van Buren chops. I can wrap my side burn hair around my ears. Mustache is full blown Wyatt Earp. Haircut is pretty much a longer Larry David but black. It's glorious and I'm not changing a damn thing when I get called back to work.

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am

No idea. I'm guessing kids sports or something. But we've followed guidelines, etc. Personally I think it was bound to happen.

We are trying to balance living a "normal" life while also being careful.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:06 am

No idea. I'm guessing kids sports or something. But we've followed guidelines, etc. Personally I think it was bound to happen.

We are trying to balance living a "normal" life while also being careful.
That's crappy, so you have no idea when you got it. Have any contact tracers been in touch with you? I saw that they were hiring a bunch of them in Allegheny county

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:08 am

That's crappy, so you have no idea when you got it. Have any contact tracers been in touch with you? I saw that they were hiring a bunch of them in Allegheny county
Yeah, they contacted me yesterday as well as my wife. Asked a bunch of questions.

They will be contacting us I think everyday for the next 10 days I believe to make sure we are staying in isolation, if anyone else we know is showing symptoms, etc.

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

Apparently an athlete and a band member at Ambridge HS and a soccer player at Beaver HS are positive. Both shut down all extracurricular activities for sanitization.

https://www.timesonline.com/sports/2020 ... r-covid-19

I was supposed to step down as youth soccer president in the Spring but decided to stay on for the fall, since there wasn't a spring. Really wishing I had pulled the trigger on that one.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:18 am

My son's travel soccer is supposed to have their first practice tonight, and first game on the 21st.

Practice probably won't happen because of the tropical storm we're getting today, but we'll see about the season. I'm not feeling enthusiastic about its chances of happening.

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:21 am

We've been running an intra-club summer training program for the last few weeks. The State Association has said that only an order from the Governor will prevent us from having a fall season. Games don't start till September 12/13 so we'll see. If clubs start dropping like flies because players are getting it, it's not going to happen or at least is not going to be a full season.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:26 am

a school district near me had an student-athlete in contact with a positive case (not positive or even showing symptoms their self) and shut down all athletic activities for the school for 14 days. If that's how schools are going to do this there's 0 chance of any fall sports

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:26 am

on a better note, we just finished our summer baseball season - 15 teams from Mercer, Lawrence and Butler counties and not an issue all summer

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:31 am

Our University just moved to incoming freshman (volunteer only), grad, international and lab students on campus only after saying it would be full face to face and most of the students signing a fall lease already, so they'll probably all come back and still do the remote thing while partying all semester. Smart move waiting.

MWB

COVID-19

Postby MWB » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:39 am

The largest school district in the state reported Sunday that 260 employees have tested positive for the coronavirus or are in quarantine because of possible exposure as they prepare for the new school year.

Gwinnett County Public School teachers began in-person pre-planning Wednesday at the 141 facilities throughout the county. By the next day, approximately 260 employees had been excluded from work due to a positive case or contact with a case.

The number is fluid, said Gwinnett spokeswoman Sloan Roach, as new reports come in and others move out of quarantine after a period of time.

“Through tracing, we know that the majority of these cases are the result of community spread, meaning we have people who have called in to report who have not been at school or work,” Roach added.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... utType=amp
Last edited by MWB on Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:40 am

OPEN THE SCHOOLS!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:59 am

I was chatting with my aunt a bit yesterday. My cousins are in 11th and 8th grade. They're doing online. My aunt said she attended a town hall meeting about the school re-opening and there are just so many questions and uncertainty to the in person aspect that they decided to go the online route. The online program is well established and they have the ability at any point to go back to in person. It was a tough decision, but she pretty much let my cousins decide what they wanted to do. I think at that age, it's appropriate to let them pick.

My neighbor has a kid going into kindergarten. They had a similar option and they opted for in person. Again, I think that's the right call. Kindergarten is more to do with the socialization aspect than anything else.

On a side note: my neighbors just got back from vacation. They rented a place up in the finger lakes. They said they went to the Strong National Museum of Play in Rochester, and they said they couldn't recommend it enough. They said everything was set up perfectly for the situation. They had people sanitizing things immediately after a kid played with an exhibit. They had masks on all the statues and models as a sort of normalization of the mask thing. So if anyone needs a trip, they said it was awesome.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:12 am

The largest school district in the state reported Sunday that 260 employees have tested positive for the coronavirus or are in quarantine because of possible exposure as they prepare for the new school year.

Gwinnett County Public School teachers began in-person pre-planning Wednesday at the 141 facilities throughout the county. By the next day, approximately 260 employees had been excluded from work due to a positive case or contact with a case.

The number is fluid, said Gwinnett spokeswoman Sloan Roach, as new reports come in and others move out of quarantine after a period of time.

“Through tracing, we know that the majority of these cases are the result of community spread, meaning we have people who have called in to report who have not been at school or work,” Roach added.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ajc.co ... utType=amp
this is the metro ATL county I grew up in. I attended their schools from grade 3-grade 12. the schools have always been run poorly.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:18 am

I think I posted that my dumb-ass coworkers, who never wears masks, all drive in the same car to go to lunch and all play cards together at breaktime have had to quarantine because one of them tested positive. today I found out that even though some of them got tested and already have negative results back they still have to quarantine for 14 days, getting tested (again) on the 10th day so they can return to work after the 14 days. and they're not allowed to WFH because the Feds are covering their emergency sick leave. :roll:

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:22 am

NFL opening game is in 38 days. They still plan to have fans in the stands? crazy

Flu season starts a little after schools start back up. Hold onto your butts.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:25 am

Our University just moved to incoming freshman (volunteer only), grad, international and lab students on campus only after saying it would be full face to face and most of the students signing a fall lease already, so they'll probably all come back and still do the remote thing while partying all semester. Smart move waiting.
The University of South Carolina is going back face to face, and everyone must quarantine for two weeks before coming back to campus (and get tested). The issue is for residence hall assistants is that they are required to move back on campus for this quarantine, but the dorms and dining halls aren't open for another 10 days. So....wtf.

CBear3

COVID-19

Postby CBear3 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:28 am

City flag football and soccer set to start in a couple weeks. The local softball association however decided not to have a fall season (they had a summer session while the city's sports cancelled).

Had an uneventful summer softball schedule, but did have one girl contract COVID on my kids' volleyball team. Luckily the timing of such was that we cancelled our practice due to the 4th before she found out she had it, or else we would have all been in quarantine.

Still hopeful the mask mandates have things more manageable in the next few weeks.
The Indy 500 and in person learning seem like they'll be game time decisions.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:11 pm

I was chatting with my aunt a bit yesterday. My cousins are in 11th and 8th grade. They're doing online. My aunt said she attended a town hall meeting about the school re-opening and there are just so many questions and uncertainty to the in person aspect that they decided to go the online route. The online program is well established and they have the ability at any point to go back to in person. It was a tough decision, but she pretty much let my cousins decide what they wanted to do. I think at that age, it's appropriate to let them pick.

My neighbor has a kid going into kindergarten. They had a similar option and they opted for in person. Again, I think that's the right call. Kindergarten is more to do with the socialization aspect than anything else.
We're going online for our 1st grader. We believe socialization is going to be severely limited due to all the measures they have in place. Plus, we can't trust that kids that age will be able to follow the strict mask/social distancing rules. Not that the older kids will follow either.

On the negative side, our district has been very tight lipped on how the virtual schooling will work. They sent out a 19 page document on how they plan to run in-person teaching, but not one word regarding virtual.

We've looked into online charter schools, but were too late in the game to get in.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:13 pm

We've looked into online charter schools, but were too late in the game to get in.
PA Cyber school?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:14 pm

Source of the post We're going online for our 1st grader. We believe socialization is going to be severely limited due to all the measures they have in place. Plus, we can't trust that kids that age will be able to follow the strict mask/social distancing rules. Not that the older kids will follow either.

On the negative side, our district has been very tight lipped on how the virtual schooling will work. They sent out a 19 page document on how they plan to run in-person teaching, but not one word regarding virtual.
We're likely going virtual for our 2nd grader. Like you said, social interaction is going to be pretty limited. Also like you, we don't know any of the details of how it'll work yet. Should know in two weeks at the next school board meeting.

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 4:41 pm