COVID-19

NAN

COVID-19

Postby NAN » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:27 pm

I would also think that there would need to some definitions regarding exclusive private clubs versus places like Target so people can appropriately understand the mandate.

I think this is where I'm getting at.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:29 pm

BTW, I'm not an anti-masker, in fact I think they should be worn indoors and at any large public outdoor gathering. I'm just trying to figure out a little more definitive outdoor part of when we should wear them, because the guidance is very subjective.
Do what you feel is right for you and your kids. The mandate is more or less trying to get people to wear masks more often, unfortunately I have a suspicion it will do the exact opposite. For organized sports, it's not on the parents to figure it out. The organization will navigate the seas of the mandate for you and inform you of what needs to be done for your children to play. Additionally most places like pools or other outdoor public spaces will do the same. Follow the signs and instructions.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:31 pm

Source of the post The organization will navigate the seas of the mandate for you and inform you of what needs to be done for your children to play.
I don't know if you've ever been privy to a youth sports organization meeting, but you're giving them too much credit. Unless the mandate says "all youth sports players, coaches, officials, and fans must wear face masks" they will assume this order doesn't apply to them. And it'd be hard to blame them, really.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:32 pm

The thing that gets me about the masks is the level of response for such a minor imposition. All of the stuff our government does on a daily basis, and this is where people draw the line?

Endless wars?
The public: Meh.
Warrantless wiretapping of your phone and email?
Confiscatory taxes?
Massive debt?
Please wear a mask because we're having a pandemic and it might save lives?
The public: MY FREEDOMZ! WE WILL NOT COMPLY!

I hope I'm known on here as one of the strongest civil libertarians, but FFS on this. :face: Look on the bright side, the masks screw up the government's ability to use facial recognition to track you and your every movement (another thing people don't give a crap about).
Yeah, I agree. I also find it interesting from the other angle too...all that stuff you say is always happening but the sheriffs are out there yelling at people in their cars to wear a mask because they don't want to catch cold...

I guess it's the tangible nature of it...but it's all very dramatic...I guess the average person doesn't go to war, they don't see their information being stolen, lunatics think their tax money is being used properly because they don't know how to read or whatever...I guess the tangible nature of this (plus, shiny new toy...) makes people just lose their minds...and I don't mean this to downplay the thing before anyone comes after me with their trumped up stats from ImTheBestAtTheInternet.org - I'm just saying, we need to make other issues more tangible somehow...

Something a little less than the masks, but something a little more effective than "this is your brain on drugs" PSAs...whoever thinks of that ****, wins an election or wins out on their issue...
Last edited by mikey on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:33 pm

Source of the post The organization will navigate the seas of the mandate for you and inform you of what needs to be done for your children to play.
I don't know if you've ever been privy to a youth sports organization meeting, but you're giving them too much credit. Unless the mandate says "all youth sports players, coaches, officials, and fans must wear face masks" they will assume this order doesn't apply to them. And it'd be hard to blame them, really.
I said they'd navigate the seas... I didn't say they'd end up where they're supposed to.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

I thought it was bars causing the uptick in cases not being outdoors.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:38 pm

Even if there is a national mask, mandate without any real legal consequence some people will ignore it and chance things. Look at seatbelt and child car seat laws. There is legal (and life) consequences but I see people driving without a seatbelt on, or worse, a child in the backseat with no car seat and no seat belt. Stealing and murders are also against the law, but some people don't care.

A mandate is better than nothing and will get some people to change their mind, but not everyone.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:40 pm

Even if there is a national mask, mandate without any real legal consequence some people will ignore it and chance things. Look at seatbelt and child car seat laws. There is legal (and life) consequences but I see people driving without a seatbelt on, or worse, a child in the backseat with no car seat and no seat belt. Stealing and murders are also against the law, but some people don't care.

A mandate is better than nothing and will get some people to change their mind, but not everyone.
Kind of like the no cell phone usage in cars that everyone ignores.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:42 pm

At least that can be enforced and carries a pretty decent fine.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:43 pm

I cannot remember the last time I saw someone in one of the front seats of a car that hadn't buckled up. I have also seen people pulled over for the cell phone thing. I guess it's a matter of jurisdictional appetite for enforcement.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:43 pm

How is it enforced? I see it constantly while driving and it scares the crap out of me.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:46 pm

How is it enforced? I see it constantly while driving and it scares the crap out of me.
You can be pulled over and ticketed. Like speeding or wearing a seatbelt, you have to be caught.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:52 pm

I cannot remember the last time I saw someone in one of the front seats of a car that hadn't buckled up. I have also seen people pulled over for the cell phone thing. I guess it's a matter of jurisdictional appetite for enforcement.
Right. In a national mask mandate, I doubt Clarion County or Tioga County are going to enforce it much compared to Allegheny, Philadelphia, etc.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:55 pm

You can be pulled over and ticketed. Like speeding or wearing a seatbelt, you have to be caught.
Just seems hard to me to prove someone was looking down at their phone reading a text while driving. Speeding and seat belt non use is easy to see and prove.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:57 pm

SC Governor had another press conference, with a record 24 deaths. He's pleading for people to be smart this weekend, otherwise he will not lift the last of the executive order halting spectator sports - which would include college and high school football. Earlier this week, high school off season training has been "paused" for at least two weeks, and then will be reevaluated

Trevor Lawrence may have played his last college game. :cry:

RonnieFranchise

COVID-19

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:12 pm

We are already poking around at it for the soccer club I lead. Obviously, playing soccer with a mask on would suck anyway but when it’s 90 degrees out like it will be in September?

The problem you get into is the litigious nature of our society. We have D&O (directors and officers) insurance that covers us for decisions that result in someone being harmed but if we willfully flout the order because some kid dies of COVID they claim to have caught at soccer- unlikely as that seems- I doubt we are covered.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:12 pm

Looks like it will be enforced this weekend.

Pittsburgh Police To Enforce Social Distancing, Make Sure People Are Wearing Masks And Break Up Large Crowds This July 4th
https://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2020/07 ... irus-plan/

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:17 pm

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:06 pm

so our governor refuses to mandate masks but yet he threatens CFB if people DON'T wear masks:
https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/kemp- ... zVsenibZO/

(for the record, I don't see how we can have CFB this year. certainly not with fans present)

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:22 pm

Pittsburgh Police To Enforce Social Distancing, Make Sure People Are Wearing Masks And Break Up Large Crowds This July 4th
But like... where? Bars are all closed and there's no fireworks. Are they going door to door?

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 6:28 pm

But like... where? Bars are all closed and there's no fireworks. Are they going door to door?
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:01 pm

What's the penalty for non compliance?

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:15 pm

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:20 pm

Also today, the PA Supreme Court ruled that under the PA Constitution, the concurrent resolution to rescind Wolf's declaration of emergency must be presented to the governor for his approval. Which of course will not be given. So the legislature failed in its bid to overturn the emergency orders.

IMO, it was the correct decision under the language of the constitution.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:23 pm

Death. Or so it seems...