COVID-19

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Sat May 16, 2020 10:50 pm

DeSantis opening Florida gyms Monday.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... ng-monday/

I wouldn't mind it happening here. My heart doctor suggested to me to go back to my gym as soon as it can open safely but be sure to distance and sanitize everything. I really miss it, especially the swimming.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:09 am

At this point, you really should just pack up and move to Florida.

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:12 am

How do you socially distance at a gym? You can't especially during peak hours. It's not possible especially with cardio equipment.

I want to go back to the gym as much as anything else but it's not feasible right now. I can exercise at home and go for runs outside etc for the time being.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:14 am

I want to go back to the gym as much as anything else but it's not feasible right now. I can exercise at home and go for runs outside etc for the time being.
Did you see that news segment from Tampa Bay a few weeks back? They were all exercising outdoors, showing how they were able to do the same workouts with unconventional means... and then complained about not being able to get inside their gym to be able to workout. :lol:

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:20 am

Front page of the paper this morning is basically how downtown Lancaster, which had been a thriving retail/restaurant destination, is slowly being destroyed. Sht sucks man.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 17, 2020 7:29 am

I hired a couple movers today and we all started off by wearing masks. By the time we did about 3 trips up and down the stairs, that was done. Is there really a point at that moment? They’re in there, they’re touching everything, we’re going to be in close proximity all day.

If that’s how I get the virus, so be it.
I was at work Thursday and Friday. The shop was starting to get pretty hot by Friday afternoon. If people are going to be mandated to wear masks throughout the summer, they are going to have a lawsuit on their hands. Somebody is going to pass out working on a machine and hurt themselves.
I don’t know what kind of manufacturing you do, but wouldn’t one of those full face plastic shields be more appropriate?

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun May 17, 2020 8:08 am

I hired a couple movers today and we all started off by wearing masks. By the time we did about 3 trips up and down the stairs, that was done. Is there really a point at that moment? They’re in there, they’re touching everything, we’re going to be in close proximity all day.

If that’s how I get the virus, so be it.
I was at work Thursday and Friday. The shop was starting to get pretty hot by Friday afternoon. If people are going to be mandated to wear masks throughout the summer, they are going to have a lawsuit on their hands. Somebody is going to pass out working on a machine and hurt themselves.
I don’t know what kind of manufacturing you do, but wouldn’t one of those full face plastic shields be more appropriate?
I’m in engineering, but the manufacturing folks build air brake equipment.

Regarding PPE, this is how cheap our company is: they mandated everybody wear a mask while inside the building. They issued two free masks to everybody. One was literally a cut up t-shirt with two holes cutout for the ears. The other was a mask with strings that were not tied on either end (tie them yourselves you plebes) and were way too small for anybody to wear. This is a Fortune 500 company, btw.

tldr: no, full face shields will never be an option unless you buy your own.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 17, 2020 8:13 am

Would your company accept a plastic shield in place of a cloth mask? They’re pretty readily available on Amazon, eBay, etc.

I actually just bought a new cloth mask on Etsy that uses a plastic clamp to allow you to tighten it. The around the ears masks are uncomfortable.

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 17, 2020 9:41 am

Strange

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Sun May 17, 2020 9:55 am

Strange

The Montezuma County coroner told KDVR that one man who reportedly had COVID-19 died from alcohol poisoning but was registered by the state as a virus-related fatality.
States are reporting whether you died with coronavirus or from coronavirus as the same thing.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 17, 2020 10:52 am

Maybe the death count shouldn’t be partisan

MR25

COVID-19

Postby MR25 » Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 am

How do you socially distance at a gym? You can't especially during peak hours. It's not possible especially with cardio equipment.

Yeah my trainer wanted to open back up with strict policies (only 3 people in the gym at a time, disinfect everything every hour, give everyone hand sanitizer) but honestly I think I'm going to wait 2 weeks to be safe.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Sun May 17, 2020 11:15 am

Just read my local paper today. Swimming pools here in Washington, Canonsburg and Waynesburg will be closed for the summer. Guess if I want to sit by water, I'll go down to the local creek.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Sun May 17, 2020 11:27 am

Maybe states should just report them accurately. I mean dying from alcohol poisoning or while already in hospice shouldn’t be counted as dying “from” coronavirus.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun May 17, 2020 11:35 am

DeSantis opening Florida gyms Monday.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/health/20 ... ng-monday/

I wouldn't mind it happening here. My heart doctor suggested to me to go back to my gym as soon as it can open safely but be sure to distance and sanitize everything. I really miss it, especially the swimming.
my Planet Fitness opened back up yesterday but they said that they wouldn't be charging us until mid-June. or what it's worth, you CAN social distance at a gym but that requires the staff to rope off probably about a third of the machines and everything needs to be wiped down after it's use. at PF they've always "required" members to wipe down after use anyway. my issue is that I don't necessarily trust the average person to do it correctly. I also don't particularly want to work out in a mask either and I don't go out in public without one right now.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Sun May 17, 2020 11:40 am

Maybe states should just report them accurately. I mean dying from alcohol poisoning or while already in hospice shouldn’t be counted as dying “from” coronavirus.
Maybe everyone should be less focused on the current reported death count.

And yes, the dreaded media is doing that, but so is dear leader. Excess deaths will be the best indication, and obviously not exact, but will be the best reflection on the impact of the virus.

Nate silver does at least provide some insight on the difficulties reporting an accurate present count.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Sun May 17, 2020 11:57 am

Maybe everyone should be less focused on the current reported death count.

And yes, the dreaded media is doing that, but so is dear leader. Excess deaths will be the best indication, and obviously not exact, but will be the best reflection on the impact of the virus.

Nate silver does at least provide some insight on the difficulties reporting an accurate present count.
Except “experts” and the media (both sides), are using this current data. We should probably only be reporting confirmed deaths and then go back and look at excess deaths. Using presumed deaths (without actually knowing if the person died from covid, died because they didn’t seek care because of being afraid, or etc.) is not a way to formulate policy. If you are going to look at excess death you need to know how your current policies of isolation might be possibly causing people to die that otherwise wouldn’t have or if they are actually covid. Just attributing excess deaths to covid is bad policy.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Sun May 17, 2020 12:12 pm

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Did you see that news segment from Tampa Bay a few weeks back? They were all exercising outdoors, showing how they were able to do the same workouts with unconventional means... and then complained about not being able to get inside their gym to be able to workout. :lol:
This is what prompted me to unfollow a friend on Facebook. She's a millennial Crossfitter - which is just about the worst combination of two words in the English language - and just would. Not. Shut.Up. about her gym being closed. All the while, throughout the safer-at-home order, she'd be posting pics of her with her fellow millennial Crossfitter dipshits all outside together, not physically separated, all mid-workout.

No joke, I got to a point where I just desperately wanted to smack her in the forehead with a cast iron skillet.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Sun May 17, 2020 12:49 pm

:lol:

Sam's Drunk Dog

COVID-19

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Sun May 17, 2020 1:21 pm

:thumb:

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun May 17, 2020 1:53 pm

This is anecdotal, but talked to a friend in Florida who was really sick the last weekend of January, tested negative for the flu, so they treated him for pneumonia.

The doctor called him last week and had him get an antibody test. He got the results today and he tested positive for Covid-19 antibody.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Sun May 17, 2020 2:35 pm

First antibody study i saw for oklahoma was the state had between a 3-5% positive rate. They didn't break it down by county yet. That would mean that 160-200k people would have had it in oklahoma. Which would make the IFR for Oklahoma be somewhere from .14-.18%.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Mon May 18, 2020 7:56 am