COVID-19

Orlando Penguin

COVID-19

Postby Orlando Penguin » Tue May 12, 2020 4:52 pm

mrs meow is never deficient of vitamin D. Know what I'm saying?
Yours isn't the only 5-hole that is wide open?

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 12, 2020 4:56 pm

Source of the post What's a few more dead old people, right?
No pun intended, but this is going to get old pretty soon. Sure, older people are dying at a higher rate, but haven't they already shown that it's mostly attributed to nursing homes?
I couldn't tell you. Bring that stats guy back.

Convince me the incremental value of a few months of shaf's kid going to school in person instead of online is worth more than a single life.

Nevermind, you don't have to. Thankfully it's not up to shaf.
I assume you are in the camp that we need to remain shut down until there is a vaccine and everyone has it. According to that study I posted, schools are probably one of the things we *least* need to be worried about when it comes to the spread of COVID-19. So if you aren't in favor of letting kids go back to school, you can't really be in favor of opening up anything else.

We are probably looking at a year, minimum, before we have a vaccine, and likely longer. Honestly, are we supposed to just remain on lockdown until then?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:03 pm

Cal State just announced they will continue distance education through at least the Fall 2020 semester, with limited exceptions as circumstances allow.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue May 12, 2020 5:06 pm

I assume you are in the camp that we need to remain shut down until there is a vaccine and everyone has it. ... So if you aren't in favor of letting kids go back to school, you can't really be in favor of opening up anything else.

We are probably looking at a year, minimum, before we have a vaccine, and likely longer. Honestly, are we supposed to just remain on lockdown until then?
I think the summer will give us a lot more information to make a more informed decision. Maybe by then FedGov will be measuring the amount of tests they can administer in terms of days and not months.

Regardless of how better informed we are by August 1st, I don't think "We should probably send kids to school because I don't want them at the house" is good enough justification. That's how your comment came across and that's what sent me down the tangent. And it's not even really addressed at you specifically, just the mentality I've seen from a lot of folks. The time to loosen restrictions should be based on data, not boredom.

You're right, I'm not in favor of opening up anything else. Not with what we know now and our level of preparedness in terms of testing. PA saying how wonderful its doing while simultaneously not testing anyone is really low information stuff.
What I do hope is that before the year is out we can get to a position where those that want to go out and be stupid can do so while the rest of us keep social distancing on our own. Put another way, I'm for lifting restrictions if the idiots are being tested. We lack that capacity now and from the sounds of it will continue to lack the capacity for the rest of the year.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue May 12, 2020 5:10 pm

I personally think we're drifting right into "nobody saw this coming, again" territory and it's slightly annoying. I'm very much ready to ship my kid back to daycare so I can get work done around here, but not at the expense of my parents, who also watch him part time, especially if testing isn't readily available.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Tue May 12, 2020 5:11 pm

Another year at home reading books with my kids sounds like heaven and the education I'd like to give them honestly.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Tue May 12, 2020 5:17 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/covid-19-now-bel ... 00255.html

COVID-19 is now believed to attack kids, kidneys, hearts, and nerves, not just lungs

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 12, 2020 5:36 pm

I assume you are in the camp that we need to remain shut down until there is a vaccine and everyone has it. ... So if you aren't in favor of letting kids go back to school, you can't really be in favor of opening up anything else.

I think the summer will give us a lot more information to make a more informed decision. Maybe by then FedGov will be measuring the amount of tests they can administer in terms of days and not months.

Regardless of how better informed we are by August 1st, I don't think "We should probably send kids to school because I don't want them at the house" is good enough justification. That's how your comment came across and that's what sent me down the tangent. And it's not even really addressed at you specifically, just the mentality I've seen from a lot of folks. The time to loosen restrictions should be based on data, not boredom.

You're right, I'm not in favor of opening up anything else. Not with what we know now and our level of preparedness in terms of testing. PA saying how wonderful its doing while simultaneously not testing anyone is really low information stuff.
What I do hope is that before the year is out we can get to a position where those that want to go out and be stupid can do so while the rest of us keep social distancing on our own. Put another way, I'm for lifting restrictions if the idiots are being tested. We lack that capacity now and from the sounds of it will continue to lack the capacity for the rest of the year.
I understand. I'm sorry to quote the whole post but I'm on my phone. I have absolutely loved this time with my children and my wife and I are both very well equipped to teach our daughter. I'm more concerned with the kids that, quite frankly, don't have good parents or resources.

Sorry, should have been more clear. I'm worried about the societal impacts, skyrocketing child/domestic abuse, etc. This time has been a blessing for us, although once our company is fully back up and running I might not be as enthusiastic about the whole thing ;)

Nuge

COVID-19

Postby Nuge » Tue May 12, 2020 5:43 pm

Hopefully better treatments and testing is developed this summer and a vaccine is developed sooner than later. That being said, if there are minimal changes to all of that by the fall then there it would be no different sending kids to school then than it would be to send them right now. What purpose would there have been to close them at all?

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue May 12, 2020 5:50 pm

To get a handle and understanding of potential worst case scenarios from a hospital capacity perspective.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 pm

I've been outside almost every single day since this started. Did 5 miles in the forest at 9am this morning and a 2 hour street hockey game in the afternoon with my kids. I've never been in better shape than I am now and that's not from a gym or weights, that's following the rules. I hope this changes the entire world. I'm done with the stress and anxiety from a life I had 2 months ago.
Sounds like retirement to me and yes mine is stress and anxiety free. I just can't do the 5 miles in the woods. I can only get about a mile in anymore.

Lemon Berry Lobster

COVID-19

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 12, 2020 5:52 pm

COVID-19 is now believed to attack kids, kidneys, hearts, and nerves, not just lungs
They have two kidneys, they'll be fine

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:05 pm

Just **** lovely.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Tue May 12, 2020 6:07 pm

I've been outside almost every single day since this started. Did 5 miles in the forest at 9am this morning and a 2 hour street hockey game in the afternoon with my kids. I've never been in better shape than I am now and that's not from a gym or weights, that's following the rules. I hope this changes the entire world. I'm done with the stress and anxiety from a life I had 2 months ago.
Sounds like retirement to me and yes mine is stress and anxiety free. I just can't do the 5 miles in the woods. I can only get about a mile in anymore.
Nothing wrong with that. I'll plop dahn on a log for an hour when it comes to that

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Tue May 12, 2020 6:34 pm

We have "believed" a lot of things about this virus so far...let me know when something interesting starts happening again...

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:39 pm

I think you could have kids return to school with some modifications like smaller class sizes, flow control, smaller recess/lunches. Or maybe a hybrid model of on-premise and remote learning or maybe ABC grades go in the AM and XYZ go in the PM. I dunno. The PA Education secretary said they are exploring those types of options. It will challenge districts as they now will face revenue shortfalls and have to implement changes. School is important for children's social skills (of course not at the expense of elderly dying of course), especially at early ages. Not to mention how all this affects kids who need IEPs. But I guess this will all be up to the CDC and their recommendations this summer/fall.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:43 pm

That’s one of the options I’ve heard mentioned - alternating between on-site and remote school to lower the amount of kids physically on-site.

That said, you’re simply not going to convince me that it’s worth the risk sending kids back to school unless we learn more about this virus.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:52 pm

A word on vaccines

The fastest vaccine ever to market (in terms of collection of viral samples to licensing) was the mumps vaccine. Four years.

Granted, I don't think the pharmaceutical/biotech/healthcare field has ever thrown resources and energy at a single disease with quite this level of intensity and focus. But still. That's a long time.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Tue May 12, 2020 7:08 pm

If this is true......just wow

L.A. County ‘with all certainty’ to keep stay-at-home orders in place for next three months

https://www.latimes.com/california/stor ... new-normal

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

COVID-19

Postby meow » Tue May 12, 2020 7:10 pm

mrs meow is never deficient of vitamin D. Know what I'm saying?
Yours isn't the only 5-hole that is wide open?
How dare you insult my butterfly

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue May 12, 2020 7:23 pm

L.A. County ‘with all certainty’ to keep stay-at-home orders in place for next three months

Were you in still in school when they had two shifts of kids going to schools? AM vs PM they called it in Bethel Park. 1974 maybe?

Lemon Berry Lobster

COVID-19

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue May 12, 2020 7:27 pm

Sounds like a job for Snake Plissken

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 12, 2020 7:35 pm

Yup, Through the end of July.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Tue May 12, 2020 7:49 pm

Were you in still in school when they had two shifts of kids going to schools? AM vs PM they called it in Bethel Park. 1974 maybe?
Can't say I was. I went to school all day. Graduated (with honors) from a place called Trinity High School in 1967. Didn't have any AC till about 9th grade and only in certain parts of the school. We just opened the windows to try and cool off.

PS: I had to walk uphill both ways to get to and from school. ;)

Dickie Dunn

COVID-19

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 12, 2020 8:40 pm

My mom endured the AM/PM life at BP. Freshman class had more kids than the other three grades combined.