COVID-19

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:01 pm

This is wildly different from other countries.

Yeah, I think the death toll from COVID is definitely overstated in the US. Think there are a lot of influenza cases that end in death being classified as COVID in the absence of testing.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 pm

I have to run into the office real quick tomorrow morning so figured I would stop at the Downingtown Wegmans on the way home. We have three N95 masks that we've had for at least a year. I haven't used them during my trips to our local store but you bet your ass I'm using one there.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:07 pm

Lemon Berry Lobster

COVID-19

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:09 pm

No new cases in China.

Steve Kerr told me I couldn't criticize China because they don't ask about our human rights violations.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:13 pm

There is some irony to the NBA bending over and taking it raw from China in October to not having a real season because of China.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 pm

Yeah, I think the death toll from COVID is definitely overstated in the US. Think there are a lot of influenza cases that end in death being classified as COVID in the absence of testing.
Wouldn’t surprise me if someone that was hospitalized for Covid that had a heart attack and died would be classified as a covid death. Isn’t the government paying for all covid deaths of the uninsured? So wouldn’t it be beneficial for the hospital to classify any death from an uninsured person infected with covid to have died from it? I’m not stating a conspiracy theory of why our numbers are high, just that it would make sense from a financial sense for a hospital.

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:23 pm

Birx used that exact analogy to show the difference between the USA and Italy, as an example. In America that is listed as a Covid death, in Italy a heart attack.

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:43 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if someone that was hospitalized for Covid that had a heart attack and died would be classified as a covid death. Isn’t the government paying for all covid deaths of the uninsured? So wouldn’t it be beneficial for the hospital to classify any death from an uninsured person infected with covid to have died from it? I’m not stating a conspiracy theory of why our numbers are high, just that it would make sense from a financial sense for a hospital.
It's the exact opposite of what Germany is doing, right? They have a very low death rate, but if someone with COVID dies its marked as a death from the pre-exisiting condition. Or the heart attack. Or whatever.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:00 pm

The nation's death toll from the novel coronavirus surpassed 10,000 in the last 24 hours, but even that figure belied a grim truth: the real number of deaths is higher, but no one knows how much.

"There is no doubt the official death toll is an undercount,” New York City Councilman Mark Levine, the health committee chairman, told ABC News.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is well aware that the figures – which keep going up – do not tell the full story.

“The current data on presumptive and lab-confirmed cases and deaths are underestimates,” CDC spokesman Scott Pauley said Monday. “Right now, we believe that the number of deaths we have reported paints an informative picture of the scope of epidemic.”
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/coronavir ... d=70018321

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 pm

Weird that the right is still trying to downplay the severity of the situation any change they can.

Freddy Rumsen

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:05 pm

Pretty much doing the opposite, but okay.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:06 pm

Weird that the right is still trying to downplay the severity of the situation any change they can.
:?:

Enough with the partisan stuff ITT. Just discussing how the US reports deaths. I couldn't care less about the political side of it.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:07 pm

Proud Juniata College alum right here.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4age ... nd-buggies
But a tiny clinic in central Pennsylvania, tucked in amongst neat farmsteads covering the anthracite hills, is setting up drive-through testing that’s meant to accommodate a horse and buggy as well as cars. The Central Pennsylvania Clinic caters to the local Amish and Mennonite communities, and its founder, D. Holmes Morton, wants to ensure that rapid COVID-19 testing isn’t limited to those with motorized vehicles.

“We already have a relationship with this community, and testing is an opportunity to raise awareness about the need for isolation of vulnerable individuals,” Morton told Motherboard.

Together with Regina Lamendella, a professor of biology at nearby Juniata College and co-founder of Contamination Source Identification (CSI), an infectious disease diagnostics startup, Morton has created one of the rural area’s only Covid-19 testing facilities. The test, which is based on similar methods already approved by the FDA, detects the virus’s genetic material in an infected person’s nose and throat. The pair hope to have the test up and running by the first week of April. They say they’re equipped to perform 300 tests per day, and Lamendella intends to return test results within 24 hours—five times faster than the current timeframe from many large commercial labs.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:08 pm

Enough with the partisan stuff ITT. Just discussing how the US reports deaths. I couldn't care less about the political side of it.
Freddy is trying to cast doubt on the body count and I responded.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Freddy is trying to cast doubt on the body count and I responded.
No he isn’t.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:25 pm

Proud Juniata College alum right here.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/4age ... nd-buggies
But a tiny clinic in central Pennsylvania, tucked in amongst neat farmsteads covering the anthracite hills, is setting up drive-through testing that’s meant to accommodate a horse and buggy as well as cars. The Central Pennsylvania Clinic caters to the local Amish and Mennonite communities, and its founder, D. Holmes Morton, wants to ensure that rapid COVID-19 testing isn’t limited to those with motorized vehicles.

“We already have a relationship with this community, and testing is an opportunity to raise awareness about the need for isolation of vulnerable individuals,” Morton told Motherboard.

Together with Regina Lamendella, a professor of biology at nearby Juniata College and co-founder of Contamination Source Identification (CSI), an infectious disease diagnostics startup, Morton has created one of the rural area’s only Covid-19 testing facilities. The test, which is based on similar methods already approved by the FDA, detects the virus’s genetic material in an infected person’s nose and throat. The pair hope to have the test up and running by the first week of April. They say they’re equipped to perform 300 tests per day, and Lamendella intends to return test results within 24 hours—five times faster than the current timeframe from many large commercial labs.
Fake news, those hills aren’t anthracite

MWB

COVID-19

Postby MWB » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:26 pm

This is essential to determining real numbers and getting real data.

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:42 pm

:thumb:

Honestly, we will never have "real" data. The lack of testing inhibits that.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:44 pm

Just goes to show that other countries are not being as transparent in their numbers.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:47 pm

Wait until we get a hold of what the true false negatives are for some of these tests. Yikes

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:01 pm

Wait until we get a hold of what the true false negatives are for some of these tests. Yikes
The tests China sent countries only got it right 30% of the time.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:49 pm

The tests China sent countries only got it right 30% of the time.
And? I’m talking about lack of true data not comparing countries testing procedures

Kaiser

COVID-19

Postby Kaiser » Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:46 am

I think you're agreeing with each other without recognizing it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:35 am

Will this be the end of snow days? Just have class online instead. All the infrastructure will be there except maybe in the more rural or poor communities without proper internet connection or equipment.

robbiestoupe

COVID-19

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 am

Rain was forecast today and instead another picture perfect spring day.
The shadjinx will not be held back by the virus