COVID-19

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:36 pm

What do we think the impact of COVID19 will have on car prices?

I was in the market to buy one in the near future. I kind of hope prices fall a bit. Or I may end up with a better interest rate.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm

I was in the market to buy one in the near future. I kind of hope prices fall a bit. Or I may end up with a better interest rate.
You’ll at least get a good interest rate.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:40 pm

It's a buyers market I would think.

DigitalGypsy66

COVID-19

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:44 pm

Yeah, I posted a couple of pages ago how GM was going 0% for 84 months (!!!!) and a bunch of cash back.

Honda is doing $500 back for healthcare workers and no payments for up to 90 days on new and existing loans through Honda Financing.

blackjack68

COVID-19

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:46 pm

You’ll at least get a good interest rate.
Chevy offering 84 months 0% interest.

https://www.edmunds.com/car-news/corona ... deals.html

Shyster

COVID-19

Postby Shyster » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:48 pm

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2764 ... comparison
Discussion: Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients.

...assuming that SARS-CoV-2 has a similar size, surgical masks are unlikely to effectively filter this virus.
I don't think the issue is whether cloth masks effectively filter the virus. It's pretty clear that they don't. Their utility would be in reducing the distance that the virus can travel from coughs or even breathing.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:55 pm

Discussion: Neither surgical nor cotton masks effectively filtered SARS–CoV-2 during coughs by infected patients.

...assuming that SARS-CoV-2 has a similar size, surgical masks are unlikely to effectively filter this virus.
A study of 4 patients isn’t much of a study.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:57 pm

Yeah, I posted a couple of pages ago how GM was going 0% for 84 months (!!!!) and a bunch of cash back.

Honda is doing $500 back for healthcare workers and no payments for up to 90 days on new and existing loans through Honda Financing.
Probably 10% of people would qualify for 0% interest.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:02 pm

Forbearance or deferment? I was under the impression it was the latter.
Is there a difference?
The interest is zero percent at the moment.
The site called it "administrative forbearance"
Right. But if the interest is tolled then it is effectively a deferrment.

Both are no payment, in a forebearance the intrerest accrues (becomes part of the principle at the conclusion of the pause) wheras in a deferment the interest is paused.

The reason I asked because if it is a deferment and all things are equal it is better for the long term borrower due to inflation and the devalued dollar at the end of the loan.The same reason you may not always want to pay a mortgage off early. That said, the pause period is so short the difference is probably negligible.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:04 pm

I can tell you that Dodge Viper GTS prices are tumbling. Go for it. :fist:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:22 pm

My credit is great but I have no interest (lol) in taking on a 7 year car loan with zero interest. Even with interest, which would be about 3.25% for me, I’d pay back about 3k over the 7 years which isn’t that bad

I wish I could take some off the principal

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:13 am

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:18 am

Is there a difference?

Both are no payment, in a forebearance the intrerest accrues (becomes part of the principle at the conclusion of the pause) wheras in a deferment the interest is paused.

The reason I asked because if it is a deferment and all things are equal it is better for the long term borrower due to inflation and the devalued dollar at the end of the loan.The same reason you may not always want to pay a mortgage off early. That said, the pause period is so short the difference is probably negligible.
Well I didn't think there would be any interest, since the rate is dropped to 0% for the time of the forbearance. So in a normal situation, there would be a difference, but a "0% forbearance" = "deferment" in this case.

Either way, I'm still able to, and going to make my payments. I pay like $250 a month in interest in my ~$1000 payment so that'll knock like 5 months off my term, probably.

Where I'm going to end up screwed is on student loan interest tax deduction...

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:21 am

Is there a difference?

Well I didn't think there would be any interest, since the rate is dropped to 0% for the time of the forbearance. So in a normal situation, there would be a difference, but a "0% forbearance" = "deferment" in this case.

Either way, I'm still able to, and going to make my payments. I pay like $250 a month in interest in my ~$1000 payment so that'll knock like 5 months off my term, probably.

Where I'm going to end up screwed is on student loan interest tax deduction...
When my wife got her raise a year or two ago she cleared the maximum income level to claim student loan interest at all. She hits the max in interest ever year, and now she can't claim a penny of it. It sucks. We would be over even if we filed jointly, but we file separately because if she added my income to her income her 1000$ a month payment would basically double.

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:22 am

My credit is great but I have no interest (lol) in taking on a 7 year car loan with zero interest. Even with interest, which would be about 3.25% for me, I’d pay back about 3k over the 7 years which isn’t that bad

I wish I could take some off the principal
Yep, there's probably some sort of $6,000 rebate you wouldn't get if you take the 0%/84m term.

My favorite way to buy a car has been through my credit union - PSECU - with one of their "LoanLiner" checks. Get a blank check up to $X amount and you negotiate like a cash buyer.

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:25 am

Source of the post When my wife got her raise a year or two ago she cleared the maximum income level to claim student loan interest at all. She hits the max in interest ever year, and now she can't claim a penny of it. It sucks. We would be over even if we filed jointly, but we file separately because if she added my income to her income her 1000$ a month payment would basically double.
Wow, I've never not qualified for it, though I see it's $80k/$165k for single/MFJ.

I've always said that is a logical way to give student loan borrowers relief. The same boomers who say "YOU TOOK OUT A LOAN YOU PAY IT BACK" are also the ones who've been deducting 100% of their mortgage interest most of their lives, yet I can only deduct $2500 of my student loan interest. There were years early on when I was paying 5 figure interest values.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:35 am

Source of the post When my wife got her raise a year or two ago she cleared the maximum income level to claim student loan interest at all. She hits the max in interest ever year, and now she can't claim a penny of it. It sucks. We would be over even if we filed jointly, but we file separately because if she added my income to her income her 1000$ a month payment would basically double.
Wow, I've never not qualified for it, though I see it's $80k/$165k for single/MFJ.

I've always said that is a logical way to give student loan borrowers relief. The same boomers who say "YOU TOOK OUT A LOAN YOU PAY IT BACK" are also the ones who've been deducting 100% of their mortgage interest most of their lives, yet I can only deduct $2500 of my student loan interest. There were years early on when I was paying 5 figure interest values.
Also the same boomers that went to school at a time when you didn't have to go in debt for 20 years to get a bachelor's degree.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 am

True enough. But this really just serves to confirm already known information. Putting a paper towel over your mouth doesn't really do all that much...back to my oral/condom analogy from before. Like most other viruses, you're not really doing much with this. And don't buy N95 masks because people that actually need masks need them.

It reduces the potential extremes of how far your snot can fly...but if you're being a good boy/girl, this has a fairly negligent impact.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 am

Work has told us we have to put in our own leave through end of April (at minimum) or take unpaid leave keeping benefits and file for unemployment. Seeing how they've already have said they don't want anyone on campus before August, I don't think it would be smart to exhaust my own leave when I'm probably going to have to switch over to unemployment when I run out anyway. New territory for me. Not sure pluses and minuses to all of this.
Last edited by eddy on Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrKennethTKangaroo

COVID-19

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:38 am

$2,500 in interest translates to roughly $600 to $975 in tax savings. it really isn't that big of a deal

mac5155

COVID-19

Postby mac5155 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:41 am

$2,500 in interest translates to roughly $600 to $975 in tax savings. it really isn't that big of a deal
ok 1%er

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:42 am

Also the same boomers that went to school at a time when you didn't have to go in debt for 20 years to get a bachelor's degree.
Good god on these silly generational conflicts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:04 am

True enough. But this really just serves to confirm already known information. Putting a paper towel over your mouth doesn't really do all that much...back to my oral/condom analogy from before. Like most other viruses, you're not really doing much with this. And don't buy N95 masks because people that actually need masks need them.

It reduces the potential extremes of how far your snot can fly...but if you're being a good boy/girl, this has a fairly negligent impact.
We do not know whether masks shorten the travel distance of droplets during coughing. Further study is needed to recommend whether face masks decrease transmission of virus from asymptomatic individuals or those with suspected COVID-19 who are not coughing.
I think this is the biggest reason they suggest wearing masks. If the radius of infection area is reduced, then spread should also be reduced. They placed a petri dish 8 inches away from the patient's face and told them to cough. That's not what the cotton masks are meant to do. It's to reduce normal everyday expulsion due to breathing or talking.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:28 am

I understand and appreciate that. That's about all I plan to do with the information though...

obhave

COVID-19

Postby obhave » Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:29 am

I lasted three weeks of WFH before the boredom and inability to be motivated has kicked in.