COVID-19

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:18 pm

Re sports with no in-person fans:

No
It's also extremely awkward. Well, at least the WWE shows have been extremely awkward.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:20 pm

Re sports with no in-person fans:

No
Sports with no fans > No sports

But, considering mikey's point, the money situation would never allow that to happen.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:21 pm

TV Ratings != $

TV deals are already in place. NHL is a gate driven league. TV deals, particularly the US one, are secondary...home playoff dates are worth $500k - $2 million a pop to teams. Complete non-starter.
So the league is toast then.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:22 pm

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/01/coronav ... funds.html

Probably a dumb question, but would it be impossible to play the games without the audience?

Obviously you wouldn't start the baseball season, but wouldn't it make sense to do the NHL playoffs at just one venue? Olympic style, just bring the teams to one place to have the playoffs? I imagine the TV ratings for that would make up for the ticket revenues.
You could but you'd have to pretty much test every player, coach, staff first since they'd be converging on one place from many different areas. And if someone tests positive, you'd have to scrap the idea pretty much. Good thought but I would see them just saying to scrap and try again in the fall

skullman80

COVID-19

Postby skullman80 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:25 pm

Also you have to take into consideration that some of the players may not even want to play at this point with all that is going on. Some of them may think the risk is not worth it to shoehorn in the last part of the season and playoffs. Especially star players who have $$$$ to hold them over.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:31 pm

I have received some emails from recruiters for jobs and they all basically say "initial remote but onsite after the coronovirus crisis is over"

ok no thanks, but what if the crisis isn't over until next year? And if I start working remotely now for X months why do I need to or want to go back to an onsite office? Like if the job can be done remotely you don't need the onsite office, at least full time. That's my thinking at least as someone who has worked remote for the past five years.
Last edited by pens9192 on Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:34 pm

The offsite/work from home will not last past August. You can take that to the bank.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:36 pm

When the dogs take over after all this

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:38 pm

Does "when the dogs take over after all this" even make sense...?

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:40 pm

The offsite/work from home will not last past August. You can take that to the bank.
probably not, I thought maybe moving work remote for this crisis would change companies views towards remote work but looks it will go back to being the same.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:50 pm

The higher-ups in my company seem to be really hating working from home. This is probably due to a few reasons: they're mostly older, they're used to constantly traveling, and they're used to being in all-day face-to-face meetings with catering. Everyone else seems to be living the life.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:52 pm

I know a lot of people are working toward testing for active cases, but has anyone read anything about people developing tests to see if you previously had the virus? I don't know enough about biology/virology/epidemiology to know if they can test to see if antibodies can be detected, but it'd be cool if they could since so many people are asymptomatic with the disease.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:12 pm

FLA going on stay-at-home effective Friday at 12:01AM. good luck with that.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:14 pm

I have received some emails from recruiters for jobs and they all basically say "initial remote but onsite after the coronovirus crisis is over"

ok no thanks, but what if the crisis isn't over until next year? And if I start working remotely now for X months why do I need to or want to go back to an onsite office? Like if the job can be done remotely you don't need the onsite office, at least full time. That's my thinking at least as someone who has worked remote for the past five years.
Very logical thinking.

I think WFH will increase significantly when this is over vs before it started.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:18 pm

I know a lot of people are working toward testing for active cases, but has anyone read anything about people developing tests to see if you previously had the virus? I don't know enough about biology/virology/epidemiology to know if they can test to see if antibodies can be detected, but it'd be cool if they could since so many people are asymptomatic with the disease.
Yep this is already happening.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... reddit.com

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:58 pm

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:03 pm

Very logical thinking.

I think WFH will increase significantly when this is over vs before it started.
I have a coworker friend who's been trying to get our manager to let him work remotely because he moved his family back to Michigan. The timing of all this couldn't have been better for him as now he gets to move to Michigan and then in June or whenever when we return to the office he can be like "welll...I've already been here for awhile so..."

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:08 pm

TV Ratings != $

TV deals are already in place. NHL is a gate driven league. TV deals, particularly the US one, are secondary...home playoff dates are worth $500k - $2 million a pop to teams. Complete non-starter.
but there could be long term benefit by re-activating the league as soon as possible. I think the NHL would get a big boost in long term popularity if they were to be the only sport to play games for the next 2 or so months which would drive the NEXT tv deal

of course that's completely off the table now with the news of the Senators players testing positive...

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:19 pm

Yep this is already happening.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... reddit.com
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:23 pm

Source of the post of course that's completely off the table now with the news of the Senators players testing positive...
That isn't news. We've known about at least two of those Senators players testing positive for a few weeks now.

Orlando Penguin

COVID-19

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:36 pm

FLA going on stay-at-home effective Friday at 12:01AM. good luck with that.
But yet we can still go to the store, pharmacy, get takeout, and play golf. Yeah, that's right, golf is still an essential business here because of the exercise factor. Orlando and surrounding counties have had this since Thursday and it really hasn't changed much. Besides, I don't go anywhere anyway. But I do plan on teeing it up probably on Friday.

AuthorTony

COVID-19

Postby AuthorTony » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:37 pm

If exercise is the excuse they should ban carts.

Orlando Penguin

COVID-19

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:42 pm

Wouldn't bug me. I prefer to walk it, especially here where there isn't much elevation.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:47 pm

Source of the post of course that's completely off the table now with the news of the Senators players testing positive...
That isn't news. We've known about at least two of those Senators players testing positive for a few weeks now.
whoops I didn't even read the whole headline

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:49 pm

TV Ratings != $

but there could be long term benefit by re-activating the league as soon as possible. I think the NHL would get a big boost in long term popularity if they were to be the only sport to play games for the next 2 or so months which would drive the NEXT tv deal

of course that's completely off the table now with the news of the Senators players testing positive...
That's kind of a longshot...that's a real hail mary for me...

Some teams own their arena/concessions/parking...willfully giving that up (likely negating any disaster/catastrophe insurance) for a shot at a 2-3 years from now U.S. TV deal that might get a bump divided by 32...? Meh...pretty easy pass for Boston, for instance.