COVID-19

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:20 pm

I've read some pieces that are warning against putting a ton of faith in hydroxy chloroquine. As in you have to be careful as it can have a lot of nasty side effects in many cases.
Thought I read an old couple died from self medicating with it. About a week or so ago
They ate fish cleaner, and it is now thought the wife poisoned the husband.

blackjack68

COVID-19

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:32 pm

Ah. Never mind

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:35 pm

Sounds like it might have a placebo effect? But is not a universal treatment for the covid

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:38 pm

Trip, how are patients reacting to the hydroxychloroquine in their battle with the virus? And is azithromycin being used alongside?
Yea, I’ve seen both hydroxychloroquine and azithro and hydroxychloroquine alone

There’s not enough evidence really yet. I think there is some promising stuff....but it’s just not there yet. Once we start seeing more patients, I think we will have a much better idea.

A lot of the studies that have been reported in the press aren’t studies at all. And a lot of the docs going to the media about it seem like complete quacks

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 pm

To add to my last post: viruses are very tough to treat medicinally in general. You have to remember that. Most antivirals in most cases really aren’t very effective

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:46 pm

Yeah, isn't the regular flu shot normally only around 30-50 percent effective?

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:55 pm

Trip, how are patients reacting to the hydroxychloroquine in their battle with the virus? And is azithromycin being used alongside?

There’s not enough evidence really yet. I think there is some promising stuff....but it’s just not there yet. Once we start seeing more patients, I think we will have a much better idea.

A lot of the studies that have been reported in the press aren’t studies at all. And a lot of the docs going to the media about it seem like complete quacks
That the hydroxychloroquine and azithro are promising, but too few people treated with it to make sure, or just several promising medicines being used?

Have any of the patients using the Hydroxy and azithro progressed to ICU? obviously don’t answer this if you believe it violates HIPAA.

Rx6687

COVID-19

Postby Rx6687 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:00 pm

My one sister’s unit is being turned into a covid ICU, and she is only being provided a surgical mask. Same situation as most health systems at this point.

She was also told to expect peak to hit PA on a June 6th. This is from hospital leadership, and I’m still trying to find an actual source for that, because I thought PA was closer to peaking than June.
Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
Every projection I’ve seen has PA peaking in mid April. June 6th seems like a very specific prediction. Maybe he knows something the rest of us don’t but I kind of doubt that.
Yeah I don't know how that date can be predicted, simply because we don't know how many people are currently infected; nor do we know how many have already been exposed and are either immune or had cases so mild that it was indistinguishable from another type of flu/virus. Now, if we were testing everybody, we could probably get an accurate date - but nowhere in the world has the "curve" taken that long to reach its peak.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:01 pm

That the hydroxychloroquine and azithro are promising, but too few people treated with it to make sure, or just several promising medicines being used?

Have any of the patients using the Hydroxy and azithro progressed to ICU? obviously don’t answer this if you believe it violates HIPAA.
Yea I think so from what I’ve seen. But it’s hard to tell if it was the meds or just the intubation process. Like I’ve said before, you get these patients ventilated before it’s really bad and the prognosis seems to be solid. Essentially you are supporting the patients lungs while the virus runs it’s course. Once the virus is done with doing most of the damage, patients improve very quickly

Now, there are always complications associated with being on a vent including secondary infections, but if that doesn’t happen, it’s just basically a wait it out situation

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:07 pm

Ultimately, we need a real study to see the effectiveness. It's being oversold until then.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:09 pm

“The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers assessed the use of the David L. Lawrence Convention Center in downtown Pittsburgh as an alternate care site if needed. The county has equipment including oxygen delivery systems and transportation if needed,” said Dr. Bogen.

When asked about projections of how many people will contract this virus released by the health department several weeks ago, Dr. Bogen says right now it’s unknown. She says she has seen projections as low as 40 percent of the world population and as high as 70 percent.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:16 pm

Hey, that's the facility I mentioned a few pages ago. I didn't know they were considering the DLCC though. Cool.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:19 pm

Yea I think so from what I’ve seen. But it’s hard to tell if it was the meds or just the intubation process. Like I’ve said before, you get these patients ventilated before it’s really bad and the prognosis seems to be solid. Essentially you are supporting the patients lungs while the virus runs it’s course. Once the virus is done with doing most of the damage, patients improve very quickly

Now, there are always complications associated with being on a vent including secondary infections, but if that doesn’t happen, it’s just basically a wait it out situation
That’s good to hear that there is promise in hydroxy and azithro. Indeed it needs more studying. Hopefully that 1,100 person study in NY comes out soon. That will tell a lot.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:21 pm

Hey, that's the facility I mentioned a few pages ago. I didn't know they were considering the DLCC though. Cool.
Not sure if sarcasm. My bad must have missed it.

Morkle

COVID-19

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:27 pm

Also wonder what else they could use if needed.

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 31, 2020 9:29 pm

Yeah, isn't the regular flu shot normally only around 30-50 percent effective?
It effectively protects against the strains in it, but not new strains. Also that's a vaccine not an antiviral.

Better comparison is Tamiflu - only effective if you take it within the first 36-48 hours of flu symptoms.

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:20 pm

Not sure if sarcasm. My bad must have missed it.
Not sarcasm. I posted last Tuesday that I heard at work (USACE) that USACE was looking to build a facility here in Pittsburgh. Didn't know they were assessing the DLCC for it. I walked by there today and thought about how empty it must be. Seems like it would be a good fit.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:30 pm

Good luck with that.

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:35 pm

I can't wait to wear my bandana to giant eagle

willeyeam

COVID-19

Postby willeyeam » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:40 pm

Lol

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:43 pm

I can't wait to wear my bandana to giant eagle
my SO and I went out to the local asian market this morning. it was her first time out in over 2 weeks. the only mask I had for her to wear was a respirator mask I used when sharpening skates:

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:45 pm

Lol. “Asymptomatic”

crusherstasiak

COVID-19

Postby crusherstasiak » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:45 pm

the doc is suggesting perhaps the vents are being incorrectly applied

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:11 am

I've read some pieces that are warning against putting a ton of faith in hydroxy chloroquine. As in you have to be careful as it can have a lot of nasty side effects in many cases.
Thought I read an old couple died from self medicating with it. About a week or so ago
They ate fish cleaner, and it is now thought the wife poisoned the husband.
She ingested it also, and was in ICU in critical condition. I've heard of committing to the bit, but that seems like a but much.

I read that the amount of the cleaner they consumed had something like 5,000x the recommended weekly dose of chlorowhatsitdine, never mind all the other unpronoucables the cleaner had.

Gaucho

COVID-19

Postby Gaucho » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:17 am

Lol

duh