COVID-19

AuthorTony

COVID-19

Postby AuthorTony » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:00 pm

She was also told to expect peak to hit PA on a June 6th. This is from hospital leadership, and I’m still trying to find an actual source for that, because I thought PA was closer to peaking than June.
A peak around June 6 would mean most people are getting infected around mid May, right?
How is that even possible to predict?

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:01 pm

It's also not exactly totally accurate. That's with New York spikes around the country built into the modeling.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:02 pm

She was also told to expect peak to hit PA on a June 6th. This is from hospital leadership, and I’m still trying to find an actual source for that, because I thought PA was closer to peaking than June.
A peak around June 6 would mean most people are getting infected around mid May, right?
How is that even possible to predict?
That’s why I was surprised when she told me that. I think PA has done a good job of getting people on board, for the most part, so April/May would make more sense to me. She did say that they’ve got people coming in from NY and NJ for treatment.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:04 pm

I asked her about vents, since it seems like that’s the big story here. The news almost makes it sound like if you go on a vent, you’re as good as dead right now. I’d like to see a breakdown on everyone who went on a vent.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:06 pm

She’s still waiting for her and her daughter’s test results, but after talking about the test with another nurse, she thinks the results will be useless. They only swabbed their throats, rather than doing that and the nasal swab.

eddy

COVID-19

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:12 pm

Larry adds his PSA

Pretty pretty pretty good

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:17 pm

I asked her about vents, since it seems like that’s the big story here. The news almost makes it sound like if you go on a vent, you’re as good as dead right now. I’d like to see a breakdown on everyone who went on a vent.
This is wildly incorrect. There have been many patients on 1+ week of mechanical ventilation that have been safely discharged home

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:22 pm

This is wildly incorrect. There have been many patients on 1+ week of mechanical ventilation that have been safely discharged home
Not sure if incorrect is the right word, as I’m trying to decipher what’s being said. My sister just told me that being on a vent for 2+ weeks (or teach) is largely a very, very bad sign.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:24 pm

Yea exactly. Get these severe patients on vents early and the survival rate is good.

Basically just ride out the virus and get them off the vent when you are pretty positive the patient can breath at 6L nasal cannula....right?

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:25 pm

Not sure if incorrect is the right word, as I’m trying to decipher what’s being said. My sister just told me that being on a vent for 2+ weeks (or teach) is largely a very, very bad sign.
Yea 2+ weeks is a bad sign. You need to be medically paralyzed a lot of times and the medications used can breakdown your lung tissue over a period like that

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:28 pm

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:33 pm

My one sister’s unit is being turned into a covid ICU, and she is only being provided a surgical mask. Same situation as most health systems at this point.

Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
Every projection I’ve seen has PA peaking in mid April. June 6th seems like a very specific prediction. Maybe he knows something the rest of us don’t but I kind of doubt that.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:34 pm

Lulz

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:36 pm

Yea exactly. Get these severe patients on vents early and the survival rate is good.

Basically just ride out the virus and get them off the vent when you are pretty positive the patient can breath at 6L nasal cannula....right?
I think I’ve asked this before. At what point is it crucial to get a patient onto a vent? What needs to be happening to the patient for this?

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:37 pm

My one sister’s unit is being turned into a covid ICU, and she is only being provided a surgical mask. Same situation as most health systems at this point.

Prepare for the worst. Hope for the best.
Every projection I’ve seen has PA peaking in mid April. June 6th seems like a very specific prediction. Maybe he knows something the rest of us don’t but I kind of doubt that.
Who knows where the hell that June date came from. At this point, I’m assuming it’s an internal source, and it’s wrong.

faftorial

COVID-19

Postby faftorial » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:37 pm

Yea 2+ weeks is a bad sign. You need to be medically paralyzed a lot of times and the medications used can breakdown your lung tissue over a period like that
I was on one for 10 days and did get pneumonia.

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 pm

Also, since hydroxychloroquine is back in the news, I’m curious to know a) how many hospitals are trying that route, and b) at what point that is being used in a patient’s status. My assumption is that it’s only being used for those who are past the breathing difficulty stage and actually have a confirmed case of pneumonia?

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 pm

I think I’ve asked this before. At what point is it crucial to get a patient onto a vent? What needs to be happening to the patient for this?
Well there is no red line really. But it would be based on oxygen saturation. Like for example, you come into the hospital and you need oxygen because you lungs are only say, saturating at 90 percent. Say despite being on oxygen you don’t go up to 98 or 99 like you are supposed to be, that would be a significant indication that you will need to be on a vent. Along with mental status changes, obvious deep breathing, increased heart rate, etc. It’s all part of the picture

Usually the progression is a nasal cannula to BIPAP to ventilator, but BIPAP can shoot the virus everywhere so most doctors are skipping that step now

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm

Also, since hydroxychloroquine is back in the news, I’m curious to know a) how many hospitals are trying that route, and b) at what point that is being used in a patient’s status. My assumption is that it’s only being used for those who are past the breathing difficulty stage and actually have a confirmed case of pneumonia?
I’m under the assumption almost every hospital is using it for their at least severe COVID patients if not all of them. We are using it at my hospital

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:42 pm

Well there is no red line really. But it would be based on oxygen saturation. Like for example, you come into the hospital and you need oxygen because you lungs are only say, saturating at 90 percent. Say despite being on oxygen you don’t go up to 98 or 99 like you are supposed to be, that would be a significant indication that you will need to be on a vent. Along with mental status changes, obvious deep breathing, increased heart rate, etc. It’s all part of the picture

Edit: oh and of course imaging (CT scan or X-ray)

Usually the progression is a nasal cannula to BIPAP to ventilator, but BIPAP can shoot the virus everywhere so most doctors are skipping that step now

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:44 pm

Thanks Trip, appreciate it. :thumb:

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:45 pm

Thanks Trip, appreciate it. :thumb:
No prob

King Colby

COVID-19

Postby King Colby » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:08 pm

Trip, how are patients reacting to the hydroxychloroquine in their battle with the virus? And is azithromycin being used alongside?

shafnutz05

COVID-19

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:16 pm

I've read some pieces that are warning against putting a ton of faith in hydroxy chloroquine. As in you have to be careful as it can have a lot of nasty side effects in many cases.

blackjack68

COVID-19

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:18 pm

I've read some pieces that are warning against putting a ton of faith in hydroxy chloroquine. As in you have to be careful as it can have a lot of nasty side effects in many cases.
Thought I read an old couple died from self medicating with it. About a week or so ago