COVID-19

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:16 pm

do the models that predict the peak take in account weather (ie warmer temperatures)?

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:17 pm

No. These assume no slowdown due to weather, since the experts say that we cannot count on that.

offsides

COVID-19

Postby offsides » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:18 pm

Alcohol isn't medicinal for anything but hating your family.
Anything medicinal with recreational marijuana? That and alcohol are to get people high, I think.
You know recreational and medicinal weed is the same thing right?
I did not know that. I'm just an old guy that gets off waxing a car or doing yard work. I don't use either one. I thought it came in different potency, low for medical and higher potency to get high. So if you want to get higher, just smoke more?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

COVID-19

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:22 pm

No. These assume no slowdown due to weather, since the experts say that we cannot count on that.
:thumb: a chance to be optimistic then I guess

dodint

COVID-19

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:25 pm

I saw it alluded to in an obscure newspaper article so I'll mention it here. US Army Corps of Engineers is looking at the feasibility of building a hospital in the Pittsburgh area for COVID-19. They've been focusing mainly on NY for now but are looking at other metro areas to get ahead of the need.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:26 pm

I don't think anybody here has put up the mission accomplished banner. We've seen a lot of doom and gloom and worst case scenario projections. If we're not on pace to meet those projections, that's great news and it means the restrictions are actually helping. But nobody here thinks it's time to resume normal life.
I guess I'm a doom and gloomer, but that this country is still battling about whether the precautions are truly necessary makes me think we aren't going to employ the social distancing measure necessary.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:30 pm

This is something that confuses me. Viruses live and multiply quite fruitfully in your 98.6° body. Is there another factor related to the warmer months that make for seasonal changes in transmission? Increased UV radiation in the summer? People wearing fewer layers of clothes, and thus fewer things being exposed to surface contact/spread? Don't really understand this.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:32 pm

This is something that confuses me. Viruses live and multiply quite fruitfully in your 98.6° body. Is there another factor related to the warmer months that make for seasonal changes in transmission? Increased UV radiation in the summer? People wearing fewer layers of clothes, and thus fewer things being exposed to surface contact/spread? Don't really understand this.
Humidity. The flu almost becomes unable to infect at certain humidity levels. So they think this can be the same.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:34 pm

I don't think anybody here has put up the mission accomplished banner. We've seen a lot of doom and gloom and worst case scenario projections. If we're not on pace to meet those projections, that's great news and it means the restrictions are actually helping. But nobody here thinks it's time to resume normal life.
I guess I'm a doom and gloomer, but that this country is still battling about whether the precautions are truly necessary makes me think we aren't going to employ the social distancing measure necessary.
New York who has a much greater density of population in their cities most likely won’t get to 10k per day. Why would a state that is almost half the population get to 10k per day when they are already shutdown?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:35 pm

USS Roosevelt has 30+ positive cases...
That’s bad
All 5,000+ men and women in the crew and air wing to be tested.
Also, looking at the USNI fleet tracker it looks like her CSG was paddling around the South China Sea at the beginning of March. If they made a liberty call in Vietnam.........

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:38 pm

Humidity. The flu almost becomes unable to infect at certain humidity levels. So they think this can be the same.
My uncle told us to turn off our dehumidifier. That seems ridiculous.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

COVID-19

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:43 pm

Dewine also said Ohio was going to have 100,000 deaths throughout the state. That was before any of this even kicked into gear and he pulled it straight out of his ass. There's gotta be a place between him and the spring breakers out on the beach that people can settle in.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:00 pm

That's also a worst case scenario that is absolutely plausible without any sort of intervention. Luckily, we're intervening.

shoeshine boy

COVID-19

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:01 pm

maybe someone who knows more about supply chains and logistics and such can tell me, why are store shelves still bare of toilet paper and disinfecting wipes?
most places where I live have put limits on how much you can buy but when I'm in a store I typically see very little to none TP available and haven't seen a bottle of wipes or hand sanitizer in almost a month.

Troy Loney

COVID-19

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:03 pm

maybe someone who knows more about supply chains and logistics and such can tell me, why are store shelves still bare of toilet paper and disinfecting wipes?
most places where I live have put limits on how much you can buy but when I'm in a store I typically see very little to none TP available and haven't seen a bottle of wipes or hand sanitizer in almost a month.
Because lunatics rush the shelves,

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:04 pm

Most TP manufacturers don’t have much spare capacity. They aren’t built for surge demand like that.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:08 pm

25,000 deaths in the US from infuenza so far this year... approaching 1,500 COVID-19 related deaths in the US.

Reaction to COVID-19 = :scared:

Reaction to influenza = Zero f%@#s given.
how many patients get cared for on cruise ships because hospitals are out of beds because of flu?

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:09 pm

Good news: My symptoms have abated, and we got some new TP.

Bad news: I apparently have a topical allergy to the soap I stocked up on, and my wrists and hands look like cooked lobster shells.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Bad news: I apparently have a topical allergy to the soap I stocked up on, and my wrists and hands look like cooked lobster shells.
:thumb: Great news. How's the wife?

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

25,000 deaths in the US from infuenza so far this year... approaching 1,500 COVID-19 related deaths in the US.

how many patients get cared for on cruise ships because hospitals are out of beds because of flu?
If flu was as infectious, then probably the same.

Kaiser

COVID-19

Postby Kaiser » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:10 pm

Alcohol isn't medicinal for anything but hating your family.
Anything medicinal with recreational marijuana? That and alcohol are to get people high, I think.
You know recreational and medicinal weed is the same thing right?
I did not know that. I'm just an old guy that gets off waxing a car or doing yard work. I don't use either one. I thought it came in different potency, low for medical and higher potency to get high. So if you want to get higher, just smoke more?
It comes in a vast spectrum of strengths, but the "prescribed" way to use each type (flower, edibles, oil, hash, etc) depends on what works for the person. If you get the right personal dosage tuned in, you're able to hit the sweet spot for what you need, medicinal or just buzzing as hard as you want to.

I do understand, I didn't smoke it until 2 years ago, and info was only coming from filthy hippies who wouldn't shut up about it. it's been extremely helpful for my gloomy ass.
Last edited by Kaiser on Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:14 pm

:thumb: Great news. How's the wife?
So far, so good. Whatever I had, she would've been exposed to it the same day I was. (The whole cohabitation thing) We'll keep an eye on things, and the moment she coughs we'll call her Dr.

nocera

COVID-19

Postby nocera » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:19 pm

Did you self-isolate inside the house? I keep reading stuff about how the sick one should basically be locked into their own room, only coming out to use their own bathroom. With everything being wiped down after they use it.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

COVID-19

Postby LITT » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:34 pm

If flu was as infectious, then probably the same.
isnt that the whole point of the issue with COVID 19? its an infrastructure failure

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:45 pm

Did you self-isolate inside the house? I keep reading stuff about how the sick one should basically be locked into their own room, only coming out to use their own bathroom. With everything being wiped down after they use it.
We figured there was really no point. By the time I was showing symptoms, there had been a period days/weeks that I was carrying whatdver it was and cootying up the whole house. Neither of us have left the immediate vacinity of our home this week, however.