COVID-19

Jim

COVID-19

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 pm

Jim, you can f*ck right off with the flu non-sense. We all know.

No, I don't think that most do. This thread is basically 163 pages of :scared:

But you did get the non-sense part right since there is a lot of that in here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:09 pm

Do you know how many people are killed in car accidents every year, and we're not in a panic over that?!?!? I'm so smart. Yinz panic over such dumb stuff...

Jim

COVID-19

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:10 pm

I ignore every single comparison of the flu to COVID

It’s just not worth my energy
Influenza is a respiratory disease caused by virus, with symptoms of temperature, respiratory distress, aches, etc, potentially leading to respiratory failure.
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by virus, with symptoms of temperature, respiratory distress, aches, etc, potentially leading to respiratory failure.
There are multiple strains of (non-COVID-19) influenza affecting people right know, and killing people right now.

I can see why you would ignore comparisons. It doesn't support the :scared:

Jim

COVID-19

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:12 pm

Do you know how many people are killed in car accidents every year, and we're not in a panic over that?!?!? I'm so smart. Yinz panic over such dumb stuff...

Admitting is the first step...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:16 pm

Hmmmm... trust scientists and doctors who have been studying this kind of stuff for years and tell me it's kind of a big deal, or some random dude on an internet message board that claims it's a bunch of fear mongering and we shouldn't worry about it.

Some decisions in life are so damn hard.

tifosi77

COVID-19

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:18 pm

I'm gonna turn 47 in a couple weeks. You what I have no memory of? Weeks of press conferences with the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases warning that the seasonal flu is going to break the healthcare system.

I'll take Dr Fauci over Jim here.

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:23 pm

Is that what he's saying...? He's giving very specific things about what to do to protect one's self as well...should one choose to go to the "playing doctor" method of going to the local Sambo's or Kenny Rogers Roasters...

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:25 pm

Is that what he's saying...? He's giving very specific things about what to do to protect one's self as well...should one choose to go to the "playing doctor" method of going to the local Sambo's or Kenny Rogers Roasters...
Oh, I’m with him on glove and mask etiquette and the grocery store visits. I’m not with him on flu comparisons.

Kicksave

COVID-19

Postby Kicksave » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:26 pm

Covid19 is just a democratic hoax.

pens9192

COVID-19

Postby pens9192 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Not comparing the flu to COVID, but I wonder if there is some overlap with COVID cases and flu cases in Allegheny County? So far the flu cases are about 130% higher than all of last year’s cases and about 300% higher than a few years ago. So far this year it’s 13,456 cases, 163 hospitalizations, and 15 deaths. That's not counting who had it and didn't get tested/see a doctor. I think the peak amount of cases was early February. We have the most cases in the state. Is it because of our demographics? This year's vaccine not being effective? Something else?

mikey

COVID-19

Postby mikey » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:28 pm

Oh ok, fair enough...yeah, this seems more contagious than the normal flu I suppose...and I imagine that's why I'm taking a conference call in a t-shirt with a recipe for an Old Fashioned on it too right now...

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:30 pm

Influenza is a respiratory disease caused by virus, with symptoms of temperature, respiratory distress, aches, etc, potentially leading to respiratory failure.
COVID-19 is a respiratory disease caused by virus, with symptoms of temperature, respiratory distress, aches, etc, potentially leading to respiratory failure.
There are multiple strains of (non-COVID-19) influenza affecting people right know, and killing people right now.

Yup. And none have killed 7k people in small pockets of land in a month like in Italy.

There’s no comparison. And I’ll continue to used my trained knowledge and my knowledge I’ve gained through all the physicians I talk to on a daily basis who say it’s not comparable to the flu

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:32 pm

Not comparing the flu to COVID, but I wonder if there is some overlap with COVID cases and flu cases in Allegheny County? So far the flu cases are about 130% higher than all of last year’s cases and about 300% higher than a few years ago. So far this year it’s 13,456 cases, 163 hospitalizations, and 15 deaths. That's not counting who had it and didn't get tested/see a doctor. I think the peak amount of cases was early February. We have the most cases in the state. Is it because of our demographics? This year's vaccine not being effective? Something else?
There’s a bunch of positive Influenza A patients that have been showing up the past few weeks

The vaccine is missing that strain this year. Plus with COVID I think more people are getting respiratory viral panels than normal

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:34 pm

Yup. And none have killed 7k people in small pockets of land in a month like in Italy.

There’s no comparison. And I’ll continue to used my trained knowledge and my knowledge I’ve gained through all the physicians I talk to on a daily basis who say it’s not comparable to the flu

It could literally have the same mortality rate of the flu, but 1 person with the flu over 10 iterations (assuming no social distancing) will infect 28 people, while COVID-19 will infect 59,000. Thus overwhelming systems causing higher mortality. Without social distancing this would be like having all the flu cases from October to May happening just in March and April.

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:35 pm

I’m not saying it is just posting discussion.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:37 pm

I’m not saying it is just posting discussion.
Yea I would agree with you honesty. I don’t think the mortality in a vacuum will be much greater than the flu.

But it will be if instead of each hospital getting a few influenza patients a day, we get 100

Mortality can be significantly higher if resources are swamped (ie Italy)

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:39 pm

Like for example.

The best way for patients with severe COVID to survive is to intubate early. Get them on the vent and basically wait it out.

But if you wait to long, you can quickly pass that point of no return. And if hospitals are overwhelmed, that point of no return will happen much more often than normal situations

Thus mortality increases significantly

NTP66

COVID-19

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:41 pm

Source of the post But if you wait to long, you can quickly pass that point of no return.
But when is that point? Do you go to the ER once you have any breathing issue? And if they send you home?

grunthy

COVID-19

Postby grunthy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:43 pm

Like for example.

The best way for patients with severe COVID to survive is to intubate early. Get them on the vent and basically wait it out.

But if you wait to long, you can quickly pass that point of no return. And if hospitals are overwhelmed, that point of no return will happen much more often than normal situations

Have you guys started treating the immune response? I think I read from some clinical trials in SK and such that the immune response (not so much the virus) is one of the main killers for them.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:45 pm

Like for example.

Have you guys started treating the immune response? I think I read from some clinical trials in SK and such that the immune response (not so much the virus) is one of the main killers for them.
Yea, when you get bad, you develop ARDS which is basically an immune response.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:49 pm

Source of the post But if you wait to long, you can quickly pass that point of no return.
But when is that point? Do you go to the ER once you have any breathing issue? And if they send you home?
When I am saying the point of no return, I am talking about a period of time to intubate a patient. Like if the physicians are overwhelmed and a patient needs be intubated, but that is delayed, you will see the chance of survival dwindle fairly quickly

Your questio: If I start having breathing issues, I call my doctor if it’s me and have a low threshold for a hospital visit.

Jim

COVID-19

Postby Jim » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:52 pm

It's like having a chihuahua, a pug, and a pitbull. Getting attacked by one of them is magnitudes worse that the other two... but all three are dogs.

BUT>>> The semantics of it being flu-ish or not is not important, nor what I am really posting against in this thread. Any steps you take to help prevent catching the flu can be used to help with not picking up COVID-19. Thinking that wearing the paper mask 20-pack that you bought at Home Depot for when you cut the weeds will prevent you from getting COVID-19 so you go out and do what you want... that is more of what I am going against. Thinking that this is the end of civilization... just no.

I don't really care about the argument of a virus that falls in a Venn diagram of a flu ... is or isn't a flu-like virus. I'll give you that one just so that we can move on.
Last edited by Jim on Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trip McNeely

COVID-19

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:57 pm

Might as well add HIV or Hep C to it

count2infinity

COVID-19

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:58 pm

Yes. Flu and the coronavirus are both viruses. I'm glad we've been able to have this conversation. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

COVID-19

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:59 pm

Good call Mexico