2020-2021 College Football Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Listen, I want to see football. Admit these kids aren't amateurs and pay them some money to go to a bubble for each conference. To say it's safer to go to class and parties and then go play a physical sport with 85 other guys that are doing the same thing on their campus and going back to your classes and parties just ain't it

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:07 pm

Listen, I want to see football. Admit these kids aren't amateurs and pay them some money to go to a bubble for each conference. To say it's safer to go to class and parties and then go play a physical sport with 85 other guys that are doing the same thing on their campus and going back to your classes and parties just ain't it
How many of those other students are undergoing a rigorous testing scheme?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:13 pm

How many of those other students are undergoing a rigorous testing scheme?
None. That's kinda my point? Things are fine now with players that are getting tested weekly with no one on campus. They showed up day one and teams had 40+ positive cases a pop in places. What do you think is going to happen when students at large get on campus? They're going to be bringing it there at the same rates. These are the students that the players are going to be in class and partying with on campus. These players aren't going to be in bubbles when school starts

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 pm

Hell, Mike Clevinger and Dan Plesac, professional athletes snuck out to go out in Chicago after a game and are being quarantined. College kids aren't gonna just sit in their dorms all day waiting for practice. Just pay them and put them in a bubble, problem solved

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:58 am

These athletic departments are already going to be losing a ton of money even with a season. Where are the finances to pay players?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am

I'd like to start with letting them make money off endorsements and autographs and jersey sales and the like. Paying college athletes is tough because what do you pay Trevor Lawrence vs a backup tackle from Vandy? But I think if you paid them all even a nominal amount equally they'd lose less money than if there was no season.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:30 am

If anything, right now has shown a time that a college athletics czar that actually has some power (P5 conferences took all the power away from the NCAA at that level) is important. College athletics (college FB in general) has never been organized and each conference just looks out for themselves.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:33 am

I'd like to start with letting them make money off endorsements and autographs and jersey sales and the like. Paying college athletes is tough because what do you pay Trevor Lawrence vs a backup tackle from Vandy? But I think if you paid them all even a nominal amount equally they'd lose less money than if there was no season.
NIL is already going to be allowed in the near future. They are just working through the rules.

The players already receive stipends on top of their scholarships now.

It's a tough situation. These guys are supposed to be amatuers playing college athletics, but it has turned into a multi billion dollar industry. But how do you make it equitable for the soccer player vs the football player, especially with Title IX rules, etc.

If anything, instead of building waterfalls and golf courses at practice facilities, maybe put money away for all student athletes for grad guaranteed grad education, extended health benefits, or something to that nature.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:35 am

Soccer isn't a multi billion dollar industry, it doesn't have to be equitable

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:38 am

Players in revenue generating sports should get a stipend. Division 1 soccer gets 9.9 scholarships for a 30
man roster and are largely funded by football and basketball; they’re not getting paid a damn thing and should be happy with their third of a scholarship.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:41 am

Soccer isn't a multi billion dollar industry, it doesn't have to be equitable
According to Title IX, I believe it has too. Or am I misunderstanding that?

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:44 am

I played soccer at the Division II level and it was always hilarious when students would assume I was on a full ride because I was starting.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:49 am

Yeah, most Olympic sports are partial scholarship. There just needs to be the same number of scholarships available for men and women. I believe it also means they need equitable treatment and benefits.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:05 am

I don't believe title IX addresses pay because they wouldn't be amateurs anymore. In any case I don't think paying them in the long run is the best idea, just due to how you determine who gets what being a little hairy.. but for this year, some compensation for a bubble system is the way to go, in my opinion. We've seen MLB team outbreaks and they're not living on campus and going to class with thousands of students.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:12 am

I don't believe title IX addresses pay because they wouldn't be amateurs anymore. In any case I don't think paying them in the long run is the best idea, just due to how you determine who gets what being a little hairy.. but for this year, some compensation for a bubble system is the way to go, in my opinion. We've seen MLB team outbreaks and they're not living on campus and going to class with thousands of students.
I just don't think a bubble system will work for CFB, NFL, MLB, etc. I don't think it will work for the NHL or NBA when they look to play a full season either.

It's working for MLS, NHL and NBA right now because it's more a short term thing to determine their championships.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:13 am

This small SC college brought back football after 70 years. Then COVID-19 hit.
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... 65847.html

@DigitalGypsy66

Good read on something I've been involved with trying to figure out.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:15 am

I'm not opposed to postponing or cancelling a college football season, but i do wonder if a vaccine doesn't roll around the bend in the next three months, are we going to stop with cancellations and start trying to make them work given the constraints.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:28 am

I just don't think a bubble system will work for CFB, NFL, MLB, etc. I don't think it will work for the NHL or NBA when they look to play a full season either.

It's working for MLS, NHL and NBA right now because it's more a short term thing to determine their championships.
NHL and NBA teams that go all the way will be there for about 3 months

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 11, 2020 9:31 am

Even just keeping them in a bubble on campus and then traveling to games would work. But that would be admitting they aren't student athletes, so that can't happen of course.

NAN

Postby NAN » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:09 am

NHL and NBA teams that go all the way will be there for about 3 months
That's for a small amount of teams for a championship. I don't think they'll go for an additional 3 or 4 months on top of that for a full season.

The NFL would be mid-Aug through Dec for the regular season and 2 teams would go until February. That's close to 6 months. College FB, if you want to keep them in a bubble for bowl games, etc, it will be 4-5 months. I just don't see it happening.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 10:55 am

Mike DeCourcy says what I was saying much better and with more intelligence.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... vyhgruxtpq

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:20 am

This small SC college brought back football after 70 years. Then COVID-19 hit.
https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... 65847.html

Good read on something I've been involved with trying to figure out.
I had no idea that 700 out of 900 undergrads play sports at Erskine. :shock: We're probably at 60-70% these days.

We hired (yet another expensive) consultant a couple of years ago to look at adding football, fully thinking our then president would bring football to campus regardless (he loved publicity, especially when it made him look good). To add football to our school, the conservative estimate in adding 100+ new students to campus, upgrading athletics facilities, building a stadium, new residence and dining halls, increased staff and faculty to support the small class size structure our school is known for would cost $21 million. Our entire college endowment sits in the $40 million range.

Supposedly, we had local investors willing to foot several million of that, but our president and BoT voted that down unanimously.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:36 pm

One of the only reasons we finally agreed to it is we have space for 1,000 undergrads on campus so really the only thing that needed built was a performance center.

Also as an institution Erskine is in a much better place right now that it was even 5 years ago, let alone 10 years ago.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:06 pm

I've worked with their library director for years. Great guy, but I was worried for him. They shuttered so many majors, and programs, cut staff back 6-7+ years ago. Seems like they are much healthier now.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue Aug 11, 2020 1:09 pm

I've worked with their library director for years. Great guy, but I was worried for him. They shuttered so many majors, and programs, cut staff back 6-7+ years ago. Seems like they are much healthier now.
Yes. Not only do they finally have a good President who knows how to administrate, the board is in much healthier shape as well. I have many friends who've been on the board off/on for the last twenty years and now when you go to a board meeting half the board doesn't want to murder the other half.

They also cut some cancer out that allowed the rest of the organism to survive. It's not in a great place by any stretch, but it is the best it's been in a long time.