Steelers at Bungles GDT 11/24/19

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:42 am

I'm still starting Rudolph over the other guy whose name I've already forgotten.
I'm inclined to agree for the most part. The unfortunate thing is this dude has been laying eggs all year, and his biggest one happened against an 0-10 team. If he had the "talent" and experience to be good, he'd show it by now. He hasn't really seemed to improve over 8 games worth of starts?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 am

Yep. He needs to get better, and fast. We'll wind up drafting yet another QB and he'll be on his way out.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:49 am

Looks like the Steelers are entering the Mark Malone era part deux. This time around, can they just tank one of the seasons so we don't have to endure 20 years of mediocre QB play at best? Next year seems ideal - there's a QB from the ACC that looks decent.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:27 am

Looks like the Steelers are entering the Mark Malone era part deux. This time around, can they just tank one of the seasons so we don't have to endure 20 years of mediocre QB play at best? Next year seems ideal - there's a QB from the ACC that looks decent.
Pickett is a Jr

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:23 am

I'm still starting Rudolph over the other guy whose name I've already forgotten.
I'm inclined to agree for the most part. The unfortunate thing is this dude has been laying eggs all year, and his biggest one happened against an 0-10 team. If he had the "talent" and experience to be good, he'd show it by now. He hasn't really seemed to improve over 8 games worth of starts?
Yep. He needs to get better, and fast. We'll wind up drafting yet another QB and he'll be on his way out.
I don't think Duck is the long-term answer either, but why are we affording Rudolph Rudy all this slack? What evidence is there that Rudy is going to materially improve? The game is certainly not slowing down for him and he's constantly late with his throws. Happened multiple times yesterday and I could see it from my couch.

This team isn't going to win throwing the ball with either of these guys, but Hodges can at least run and break a play now and again and still offer you the never-ending series of check-downs that Rudy delivers. The only thing in favor of Rudy imo is that while starting Hodges may have a higher ceiling, it also has a higher likelihood of a 4-INT game, so maybe I go with Rudy this week with the idea that a guaranteed below average Rudy performance beats the Browns at home rather than risking Duck imploding. Who knows though, given how they played last time they were in CLE.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:35 am

Rudy has thrown 4 ints in a game already, against next week's opponent. He shouldn't be playing anymore

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:36 am

Kaep.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

Mason hasn't showed me anything yet, and now we're in win-now mode being in the 6th seed. If Duck was the early draft pick and Mason the UDFA, would Rudolph have ever even seen the field?

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:41 am

Hodges is able to make a quick decision and throw the ball. Sometimes that throw will be on point. Rudolph is unable to make any decision, holds on to the ball far too long, and either gets sacked, throws a pick, or gets concussed. The dude is trash and it's time to admit that he ain't the guy.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:42 am

It doesn't matter who the QB is really. Other teams have to be praying that the Steelers make the playoffs. The offense makes them 100% an easy out.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:45 am

I don't think Duck is the long-term answer either, but why are we affording Rudolph Rudy all this slack? What evidence is there that Rudy is going to materially improve? The game is certainly not slowing down for him and he's constantly late with his throws. Happened multiple times yesterday and I could see it from my couch.

This team isn't going to win throwing the ball with either of these guys, but Hodges can at least run and break a play now and again and still offer you the never-ending series of check-downs that Rudy delivers. The only thing in favor of Rudy imo is that while starting Hodges may have a higher ceiling, it also has a higher likelihood of a 4-INT game, so maybe I go with Rudy this week with the idea that a guaranteed below average Rudy performance beats the Browns at home rather than risking Duck imploding. Who knows though, given how they played last time they were in CLE.
I don't think Hodges looks much better, to be honest. Rudolph was atrocious these last two weeks, but he had some pretty good performances before then. I probably go right back to him next week to see if he can redeem himself because you want to see how these guys bounce back. And yes, this is all with knowing that he hasn't done well leading receivers with the ball most of the season.

We're not in an enviable situation any way you look at it. Leave it to the first season in a long time that this defense looks scary good at times that Ben goes down with an injury.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:46 am

:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:19 am

Rudy's biggest weaknesses continue to be timing/progression and accuracy beyond about 12-15 yards; while I am not going to put the INT on him, he was late and inaccurate with the missed TD pass in the first half (iirc) and that one very much is on him. He was showing in-game improvement week-to-week, but comprehensively crapped the bed in CLE, and did not rebound @ CIN, and that's a worrying sign. You can chalk that up to a variety of external factors, but most of them are things Big Boy pros have to compartmentalize.

That said, the difference between Rudy and Duck is probably bigger than the difference between Rudy and Ben, so we're compounding weakness talking about him as the go-to guy. This team is currently bringing multiple practice squad guys to the Sunday 46, and they're on to like their 7th and 8th receivers; a UFA that the team has already waived once throwing to this group is not a happy place.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:21 am

That said, the difference between Rudy and Duck is probably bigger than the difference between Rudy and Ben, so we're compounding weakness talking about him as the go-to guy.
Not since the shmengy Curtis Martin debacle have I seen a poster so committed to delivering bad nfl takes. Amazing stuff and you absolutely love to see it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:24 am

Tell me, counselor, why you think it is that there was talk just one page ago about Rudolph being touted as potential 1st round talent his draft year, and there were 224 opportunities - literally all of them - to draft 'Duck' that were left on the table?

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:28 am

Tell me, counselor, why you think it is that there was talk just one page ago about Rudolph being touted as potential 1st round talent his draft year, and there were 224 opportunities - literally all of them - to draft 'Duck' that were left on the table?
That information is very relevant on November 25, 2019.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:31 am

On this, we can agree. It is very relevant and informative.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

Ask Chicago what they want for Trubinsky

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

Ginormous Russell went 1st overall, Tom Brady was passed over 200 times too...so sick.

As an outsider, both of your QBs stink...it's like the difference between the 59th and 67th best goalie in and around the NHL...it's about fit and minor differences in strengths and weaknesses as they apply to the system and personnel...the talent difference appears relatively negligible...

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:54 am

That's the correct take. Who cares what Mel Kiper thought about Mason Rudolph two years ago? I've seen him throw nearly 300 passes in the league and he's largely the same QB he was when he got in the game week 2. Hodges could be worse, but he might be marginally better. And I certainly don't think they win that game yesterday if they don't make the change.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:00 pm

That said, the difference between Rudy and Duck is probably bigger than the difference between Rudy and Ben, so we're compounding weakness talking about him as the go-to guy.
this cant be real

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:01 pm

its a real galaxy brain take

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:04 pm

I've only seen these guys a bit in the NFL...I don't watch all the Steelers games obviously...but I've seen them both play, and I saw Rudy in college obviously...

They actually have some of the same strengths and weaknesses in some regard, which makes this an even weirder hill to be wounded on...Rudy has a better deep ball because he's a notch above in vertical arm strength, but they both have nice deep ball touch...but that's not the only measure of arm strength, the vertical ball and the ball to the boundary are different balls and require different mechanics to execute...well, they can be thrown differently. And you can cheat on both in different ways...they both have a pretty slow release, but on a deep ball - with time - you can drop the ball and your elbow and finish "high" in your release...which they both do...you can't do that on the sideline routes because you'll just throw it out of bounds if you do that...

Neither of these guys can really push the ball to the boundary in any significant way...so anything out breaking is a struggle...and they're both pretty untidy from a release point perspective, so they're probably pretty inaccurate on short/intermediate routes in the interior...

That's why it's a weird scenario - I thought - when I scanned through the GDTs and saw that Rudy was being held to just check downs...outside of screen passes against the grain, I can't imagine that's a relative strength of his...I think he probably has a better vertical game than a precise interior game...even though there's a relativity factor in there with how much "easier" it is throw short than long, of course...

But either way, they both seem like a couple of used dong bags and it's unlikely you're going to go very far with them unless your defense holds teams to 13 points a game...
Last edited by mikey on Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:05 pm

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:33 pm

That said, the difference between Rudy and Duck is probably bigger than the difference between Rudy and Ben