Travel Thread

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:35 pm

A lot of the carriers in central and western Asia are a bit dodgy.

Agreed, although it depends exactly on what parts of Asia we're talking about. Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific Airways, and Hong Kong Airlines, for example, are great airlines, but some (but not all) of the low-cost carriers operating in that part of the world are not so good. I wouldn't fly most African airlines either, with Egyptair, Royal Air Maroc, Ethiopian and maybe South African Airways being the exceptions. Despite the recent crash, Ethiopian has a very good history and safety record and operates a fleet of modern aircraft, which are things that unfortunately cannot be said about a lot of African carriers.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:27 pm

We are going to NYC this Saturday to take our daughter to the Trolls Experience. We are going to drive up in the AM, park, go to the Trolls thing, eat lunch, and skedaddle back home to watch the tourney. Eating at The Mean Fiddler in Midtown, which looks fun. Not looking forward to the Nor'easter winds, 30 mph gusting to 50+ in the city.

I love living where I do...a day trip to the city is easy.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 1:40 pm

Is a train an option? That might be cool for your daughter and easier to park.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:29 pm

where do you park a train in NYC? :slug:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:44 pm

Grand Central Terminal.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:56 pm

:thumb:

I think I've mentioned this before, but we are lucky enough to live only ten minutes from the Parkesburg Amtrak Station. Parkesburg is on the Keystone Service line, so we can take the train straight to NYC. It is also likely the least-trafficked station on the whole line, so I can typically park five feet from the train and leave my car there for days if I need to.

So yes...definitely an option that we have utilized before :) Not suitable for a day trip though. Plus, since we are going on Saturday, I can leave at 7:30ish and be there by 9:30-9:45, parked. First train doesn't get into the city until 10:45.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Ah, Saturday makes a big difference. Have fun!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:57 pm

Great trip to NYC today. Made it in about two hours each way, Lincoln Tunnel was easy both directions, although when we left Manhattan this afternoon, it was REALLY backed up coming inbound.

Highly recommend the Spothero app for parking. It's bomb.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:22 am

Since Spirit was recently mentioned:

Michigan mom suing Spirit Airlines, says daughter was removed from flight without her knowledge
DETROIT — A Michigan mother claims her 15-year-old daughter was booted from a Spirit Airlines flight from Tampa to Detroit without notice.

Now, she's taking action and suing the airline.

The alleged incident happened in April 2018 when the family was returning from Ft. Lauderdale and had to switch planes in Tampa.

Stacy Giordano had a seat with her son in the back of the plane, and her daughter was reportedly assigned to a seat in the front of the aircraft. That's when Giordano's attorney Jerry Thurswell claims Giordano's daughter was suddenly removed from the plane to make room for another passenger due to overbooking.
I'd have been irate.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:11 am

I was thinking of random towns in PA today. What smaller towns in PA do yinz like to drive through/spend time in? I always thought Philipsburg was a beautiful town, I used to love driving through there on the way to the Clearfield Fair.

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville, Gap and Ridgeway. Close by, I enjoy Sugar Creek, OH
Brookville is a good choice imo and one of the nicer downtowns in a PA county seat. Ridgeway is also surprisingly nice.

Other good choices:

Wellsboro
Tionesta/Tidioute

I know someone on 5af is from Williamsport. I spent an evening last summer in downtown Williamsport and it definitely seems like a lot of money is being put into downtown. it was fairly busy for a Thursday night.
Yeah I’m from Williamsport. It’s ok. They have been redeveloping the downtown and have some decent hotels, Performing Arts Center, movie theatre, Kohls, Wegmans.... quite a bit going on. Not that I’d move back mind you.

Lewisburg is a nice small town in that atea. Maybe Clearfield but I’m biased because of Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub (which isn’t downtown).

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:51 am

Lewisburg is a nice small town in that atea. Maybe Clearfield but I’m biased because of Denny’s Beer Barrel Pub (which isn’t downtown).
Lewisburg is a beautiful college town, once you get away from the ever-busy US-15.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:01 pm

Omaha was surprisingly fun...decent night life and people for a midwestern town...

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:12 pm

i like omaha.. old market?

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:35 pm

Yeah, I tore it up a little bit for a weekend there...didn't have any expectations coming in, but I was pleasantly surprised...obviously, I live a certain kind of lifestyle here and I'm used to a certain degree of, uh, ya know, fun...and when I go to these dumpy towns like Lansing or Sioux City or whatever, you go back to your hotel after a game and you're just looking out the window, there's nothing around for miles, it's pitch black and you're like "all right, I guess I'll go make some toast in the tub and call it a night..."

So I fly into Omaha, no expectations...the airport there is the size of a quarter, I get to the hotel (4 star hotel, because I'm sure that's as high it goes there) and the front desk chick (I don't know what the proper term for that is these days...seamstress? I don't know) is basically telling me the hotel is empty and I can have my pick of the litter...so I said, "Well, I'm obviously not from around here, never been here...do you guys have any scenery?" and she seemed a little bit offended and was like "yeah, definitely, of course." and I said "Sounds good, put me on the scenery side, I'll take in some sights..."

Walk up to my room, first thing I do, I open the drapes and look out...and it's just like the side of another ****** hotel and then like half of a construction site and like a mailbox...so I'm thinking, "all right, I guess this what they call scenery here...sick town ya got here...or maybe it's just like modern art and I'm just not interpreting what I'm looking at correctly, like maybe that's Omaha's tallest mailbox or some ****..." either way, I'm thinking "ok, here we go again, mikey...you're on another diaper barge to shitville..."

So I set my crap down, went to the gym with another scout that I know, grab some dinner and hit the rink...rink is like 15 minutes out of town, luckily they have just enough Ubers there...just enough. Nice rink, not really near anything though...so I go back to my hotel, and I'm like "let's make the walk..." well, much to my surprise, it's pretty poppin'...saw a couple clubs, went to some real nice establishments, made some friends...I closed down a bar one night, bartenders were coming around saying how awesome it was pounding shots with me, come back next time you're town, we're talkin puck and telling stories til like almost 3 am when they were gonna close at 12:30, real good group of folks.

Plus, not that this place was crawling with smoke shows...this wasn't Montreal or anything...far from it. But there's some gorpy lookin' guys here and they're fighting way above their weight class here...I guess chicks are just so desperate for scraps, it's like any guy who has all his teeth and doesn't have diabetes is a catch...in a big city, it's a little tougher from a competition perspective...in Omaha, I'm pretty sure I could bat 1.000...not a big deal.

It was a slow start, but I ended up really having a time...I'd recommend it to people that I like.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:43 pm

The Old Market area is pretty fun. When I was there a while ago they said it was the hipster capital of the far midwest.

Lemon Berry Lobster

Travel Thread

Postby Lemon Berry Lobster » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:44 pm

:lol: 10/10 will read again

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:54 pm

Jfc why did I ask

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:42 pm

I'll be in Montreal next week, but I'm an old, fat diabetic. However, I do have all my teeth.
(not really diabetic, just old and fat.)

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 25, 2019 4:54 pm

Wait, did I misread? Is Montreal full of rockets or gorpy lookin' guys?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 6:23 pm

In a country known for the quality of its gentlemen's clubs, some of the finest are (allegedly) in Montreal.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:03 pm

Montreal is full of absolute rockets. Quebec City too. In fact, most of the Belle Province.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:15 pm

I concur with michael

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:30 pm

Montreal is full of absolute rockets. Quebec City too. In fact, most of the Belle Province.
Oh my goodness yes. I was blown away by Quebec City.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:12 am

which muesums/tours would everyone recommend in dc

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:39 am

I've always been a big fan of the Air and Space museum and especially the Annex out at Dulles Airport. Really cool stuff there.

Obviously, everything else along the Mall is excellent. I've heard great things about the new African-American museum.

I'd also recommend a trip out to Mount Vernon. I found that really interesting as well.