Travel Thread

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:41 am

Anchovy?
it didn't look like anchovy and I thought it was even saltier than regular anchovies.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:42 am

Yuck. Many moons ago I accidentally ordered a pizza with anchovies. I managed exactly one bite.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:02 am

Anchovy?
it didn't look like anchovy and I thought it was even saltier than regular anchovies.
May have been chicken hearts. I tasted said pizza in Brazil. Wasn't disgusting, but you won't see me ordering a large pie with extra chicken hearts.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:23 am

No transaction fee for getting the Euros in. Just the normal exchange rate on whatever day I placed the order. So that's pretty nice.

I called all my card companies and I'm glad I did. Some have a 3% international fee, others don't have any fees for international transactions, so now I know which ones to use while I'm there.
are you hitting any other cities other than Milan?
this was one of the more bizarre places our friends took us: http://www.pizzaclubnolimits.com/index.php?i=home
it's basically pizza in Fogo De Chao style. I think we tried something like 34 different kinds of pizza. some were good, others were....weird. the Very Salty Fish was indeed, VERY salty. one had coffee grounds on it. I think they made that one just to see if The Americans would eat it. Tuna and Olive was not good. :face:
Nope... Milan only. In and out. If my kiddo wasn't so young and my wife loaded with a busy summer teaching schedule, I would take some time and explore. But really I'm in for work, and then right out.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:29 am

Feel free to defile any Inter Milan signs while you’re there.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:54 am

Will do.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Jun 10, 2019 10:55 am

boo

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:22 pm

...went to Pujol...
Please describe, using your best words.
https://media.tenor.com/images/0633712f ... /tenor.gif

it was a very interesting, fun experience. In preparation I watched the Chef's Table episode on Netflix about Pujol. Definitely set my expectations pretty well
we were in a large group so I think we "had" to do the tasting menu. We got about...9 or so dishes? none of them were huge portions but there were enough plates that I was satiated.

I can't remember them exactly but this is the best I can do:
First dish - argh...some sort of black bean and cheese on a tortilla. I joked with the people I was with that it looked like a pizza bagel so that's how we referred to it during and after. It was delicious though

Second - can't remember the specifics, but it's a mayo with crushed ant with baby corn. They detail this dish pretty well in the Chef's Table episode

Third - Black bean paste topped with cheese, avocado and tomato on a grilled tortilla. Nothing special but still good

Fourth - sweet potato on a white mole sauce. The mole was coconut base I think. Inventive and quite good

Fifth - octopus tentacle with a spicy mango sauce. Maybe one of my favorite things I've ever eaten. The octopus was cooked to perfection; the mango sauce was sweet and then hit you with a significant amount of heat. Some of the people I was with even complained that it was "too hot" (which I found pretty lame but whatever) but I didn't think it was that overwhelming

Sixth - seared seabass. I'm a picky eater but I didn't have a problem eating any dishes up until this point. I just don't like fish. Others really enjoyed it though

Seventh - can't remember it exactly...I think it was a tamarind sorbet with the classic mezcal worm salt on it.

Eighth - mole madre. Definitely one of if not the most interesting, complex tastes I've had. The mole was very thick, worked well both with a tortilla and just by itself. Not everyone in my party liked it though; I think its complexity makes it divisive, but at the very least is worth the try

Ninth - coffee tamale, ginger ice cream and honeycomb. Individually they weren't too spectacular but a mix of the three was awesome. The textures work well with each other

Tenth - churro. Perfectly made

overall, a tremendous experience. I also shared a bottle of rose and got straight mezcal at the end (didn't come with the meal but figured I'd do it similar to how the Chef's Table episode ends). the service was a little subpar which I thought was a bit weird. The total cost per person (with the tasting menu and drinks all combined and then divided by our group) was about 235 per person. I guess about what I expected. But as I said I definitely felt full and would recommend it to anyone that is interested in both food and mexican culture
Thank you for putting the time and thought into this reply. I doubt I'll ever find myself in Mexico City, but if I did I'd want to eat at Puyol. Enrique Olvera is a cool dude.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:10 pm

Anchovy?
May have been chicken hearts. I tasted said pizza in Brazil. Wasn't disgusting, but you won't see me ordering a large pie with extra chicken hearts.
Chicken hearts shouldn't be salty, or at least I've never heard of cured or salted chicken hearts. They make for really tasty yakitori, albeit a little on the chewy side. Mmmmm… yakitori.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:20 pm

Anchovy?
Chicken hearts shouldn't be salty, or at least I've never heard of cured or salted chicken hearts. They make for really tasty yakitori, albeit a little on the chewy side. Mmmmm… yakitori.
The ones I had were quite salty. Maybe that was just the Brazilian way of preparing them.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:20 am

Reading how people are finding Italian food 'weird' is cute.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:55 am

Heading to NYC in a few weeks and trying to figure out the best way to go about finding out how to plan for the subway? Any tips? I'd like to be able to say we have to go here for this and this and have everything planned out for the itinerary ahead of time. How?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:38 am

I see Google Maps has an interactive subway feature which seems to be the way to go, but in terms of passes, is this something we should take care beforehand or how does that work? We'll be there for 5 days.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:42 am

Last time I was there (5 years ago?) they had a weekly pass that will probably be worth it for you. You can buy it right at the station

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:45 am

I remember the MTA Subway Map app being pretty useful for planning routes, seeing when trains would arrive, if they were delayed, etc. I would always just buy a MetroCard at the first subway station I went to and reloaded as necessary. If you plan on using the subway a lot your best bet is probably the 7-Day Unlimited Pass, which you can get at any MetroCard Vending Machine. $33 for unlimited subway rides during the 7-day period after the card is first used. At $2.75 per subway ride you're riding for free after your 12th use.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:10 am

Yeah, I'd seek out an official mobile app type situation. Never used one for NYC, but my experience is major metro mass transit systems try to make using the service as relatively pain-free as possible.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:20 am

For instance, the number of fires in the DC Metro is down this year. Exciting!

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:42 pm

A couple of weeks ago I my weekly meal was angel hair with anchovy paste, butter, olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan. Sauteed spinach on the side. I found the anchovy paste alone wasn't getting it done on the fishiness, so I added a couple shots of fish sauce.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Heading to NYC in a few weeks and trying to figure out the best way to go about finding out how to plan for the subway? Any tips? I'd like to be able to say we have to go here for this and this and have everything planned out for the itinerary ahead of time. How?
Citymapper is the best app in the world for this. I have navigates many cities like a boss with this app

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:05 pm

A couple of weeks ago I my weekly meal was angel hair with anchovy paste, butter, olive oil, garlic, and Parmesan. Sauteed spinach on the side. I found the anchovy paste alone wasn't getting it done on the fishiness, so I added a couple shots of fish sauce.
My man :thumb:

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:20 pm

Citymapper is the best app in the world for this. I have navigates many cities like a boss with this app
X2

Pretty much lived in NYC Most of 2005 so I’m pretty good there but it was awesome in Chicago.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:33 pm

Works like a charm internationally as wel

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Qantas announced a Brisbane to Chicago route starting early 2020. That's exciting

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:18 am

That's quite a bit longer than I think I'd be comfortable with, to be honest. I plan on leaving out of LAX when the time comes.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:56 am

I did PIT-ORD-LAX to Brisbane. Super long day either way. Assuming cutting out the LAX stop might save a few bucks