Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:01 am

On another note, there is a place in Orlando called Machine Gun World where you get to fire, well, machine guns? This looks fun as hell lol.

https://machinegunamericaorlando.com

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:14 am

Curious how Clearwater beach is? I have a ton of southwest points... Pens play in Tampa on Feb 9th... Nice direct flight times... Hilton points too... Thinking of a weekend getaway to the beach and a Pens game.
Right now, it might be a bit dicey. There's been a terrible red tide on the Gulf Coast for most of the summer from Naples all the way up into the Tampa area and they've been bulldozing dead fish off the beach. The hurricane going thru the Gulf this week just churned some more things up. Otherwise, when it's free and clear, it's a pretty nice place to hang out and relax. Clearwater is more of the touristy beach in that area. Don't be afraid to look at St. Pete Beach, Indian Rocks Beach, or the Dunedin area too.
You think it will be back to normal by February? Thanks!
I might need to call my friend George Costanza for that info. I think everyone on the Gulf Coast would hope it'll be cleared up sooner rather than later.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:27 am

On another note, there is a place in Orlando called Machine Gun World where you get to fire, well, machine guns? This looks fun as hell lol.

https://machinegunamericaorlando.com
There are a ton of places like this in Vegas. While certainly fun in concept, remember that the only thing you need to demonstrate is a valid ID. The complete disregard for the most basic safety protocols is appalling. Last time we went shooting in LV I actuality wanted to change lanes because the knuckleheads beside us - who appeared to be on a first date - were wildcatting every mag. I half expected to get smacked in the face with a chunk from one of their thumbs because of their grip stupids.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:22 am

It annoys the sht out of me that you pay a ton of money to go to Disney, get to the park early for magic hours, and the one fcking ride you get there for is closed indefinitely all of a sudden. Like, you had all night to fix whatever issue there was you dumb bastids

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:28 am

Why are the spinning teacups closed?

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:09 am

Slinky Dog coaster. And to top it fcking off, they say the ride will be down all morning. We go to quickly ride another ride, and they open it while we are on that ride. Come out and it is already a two hour wait. **** you Disney World.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:10 am

As someone who is uncomfortable in crowds and doesn't like waiting in line, Disney World sounds like Hell.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:20 am

As someone who is uncomfortable in crowds and doesn't like waiting in line, Disney World sounds like Hell.
For most adults, it is.

grunthy

Travel Thread

Postby grunthy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:22 am

Slinky Dog coaster. And to top it fcking off, they say the ride will be down all morning. We go to quickly ride another ride, and they open it while we are on that ride. Come out and it is already a two hour wait. **** you Disney World.
Go an hour or so before the park closes. Everyone is getting ready for the Star Wars light show.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:51 pm

Yeah I really dread when my wife wants to go to Disney with my boy.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:46 pm

Ended up being a really nice day at the park. That said, 90 degrees and humid with no wind in October was definitely not ideal.

The new Toy Story Land is awesome, and the Slinky Dog coaster is the most fun new ride I've seen. It's a nice mix of thrills but still doable for our 4 year old. The revamped Star Tours is fun as hell too. The SW building is cool too... We met Kylo Ren (very well done meet, you go in the room with him individually and they do a nice job seeing as he is a villain). Chewie was a cool meet as well. The roaming stormtroopers that interact with you are a nice touch.

Our daughter was a brave little trooper... She did Tower of Terror and hated it :lol: Yet later in the day she said she wanted to go back on. I always forget how much fun that ride is, the anticipation kills me though. The Aerosmith coaster is fun too.

Definitely think Hollywood Studios is my favorite. Epcot tomorrow. According to my Garmin it was 10 miles today. Woof.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:49 pm

I’ll be in Orlando on Wednesday for work.

After these 50 degree days, I welcome the heat!

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:50 pm

I’ll be in Orlando on Wednesday for work.

After these 50 degree days, I welcome the heat!
You'll get plenty of it during the day. The last few nights have been pretty pleasant, though, with some breezes. It's not 'open the windows' good yet but it's also not 'cut the air with a knife' either.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:46 am

Ended up being a really nice day at the park. That said, 90 degrees and humid with no wind in October was definitely not ideal.

The new Toy Story Land is awesome, and the Slinky Dog coaster is the most fun new ride I've seen. It's a nice mix of thrills but still doable for our 4 year old. The revamped Star Tours is fun as hell too. The SW building is cool too... We met Kylo Ren (very well done meet, you go in the room with him individually and they do a nice job seeing as he is a villain). Chewie was a cool meet as well. The roaming stormtroopers that interact with you are a nice touch.

Our daughter was a brave little trooper... She did Tower of Terror and hated it :lol: Yet later in the day she said she wanted to go back on. I always forget how much fun that ride is, the anticipation kills me though. The Aerosmith coaster is fun too.

Definitely think Hollywood Studios is my favorite. Epcot tomorrow. According to my Garmin it was 10 miles today. Woof.
Glad it ended up being a decent day for you. And yeah, it sucks when rides go down but at least if you had a fast pass for it Disney will then let you use you that pass for any ride same tier or under. Toy Story Land is pretty great, though when I was there in August there just wasn't enough shade. I get that you're supposed to be toy sized and in Andy's back yard, but Andy ain't got no trees? TSL also provided a nice view into the Star Wars land construction which looks like it's going to be incredible. Fun fact: if you ask the Toy Story Land cast members what the construction is, they'll say something like "That's Andy's new Star Wars playset!"

Did you just to Hollywood Studios or are you going to the other parks as well? If so, do everything you can to ride Flight of Passage at Animal Kingdom.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:35 pm

Thanks! Yes, we did Epcot today, MK on Saturday, Animal Kingdom Wednesday. We are going back to MK tomorrow night for Halloween stuff.

Agree on the shade factor... Not enough. Food and Wine festival was fun today, we have an absurd amount of snack credits with our meal plan so was trying to get as many things as possible. France is my favorite country food wise I think.

We did the princess lunch at the restaurant in Norway... Not impressed. I felt terrible for our waiter, he was Norwegian and seemed terrified. He was literally trembling when he came over to introduce himself and kept stumbling over his words. He said he has been at Disney for seven months but I can't imagine he had been doing this the whole time. At least I hope not, lol.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:25 am

Source of the post We did the princess lunch at the restaurant in Norway... Not impressed
I wasn't impressed with that or dinner with belle or beast or whatever that was. I thought Breakfast with Winnie the pooh was the best food we had with these meal with characters things.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:29 am

Source of the post We did the princess lunch at the restaurant in Norway... Not impressed
I wasn't impressed with that or dinner with belle or beast or whatever that was. I thought Breakfast with Winnie the pooh was the best food we had with these meal with characters things.
Cinderella's Royal Table and Garden Grill were easily the two best breakfasts at Disney World, IMO. We enjoyed Crystal Palace and Biergarten for lunch, as well.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:31 am

Yes! We had breakfast at the Be Our Guest place and I thought that sucked too.

Truth be told my favorite meals have been the buffet ones. They have some quality stuff there.

Our daughter is doing the Alice tea party today... We actually drop her off for 50 minutes. Looking forward to the Halloween stuff tonight, that tends to be my favorite event. She is dressing up as the Queen of Hearts for all the festivities.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:43 am

Haunted Mansion would be really fun right now, I loved that ride.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:40 am

Cinderella's Royal Table and Garden Grill were easily the two best breakfasts at Disney World, IMO. We enjoyed Crystal Palace and Biergarten for lunch, as well.
Garden Grill is super underrated. Good food, family style, and lots of opportunity for character interactions. Plus, since it's sit down and not buffet style, you never risk missing a character. I also enjoy overlooking Living with the Land.

I hated Crystal Palace but maybe we just had a bad experience. Food was gross and Pooh was literally dirty. My favorite breakfast at the parks is Tusker House in Animal Kingdom.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:44 am

Yeah, maybe you just had a bad experience at CP. I don't know if they switch up the food at times, but I liked most of what we had. We actually walked up and got in right away (ate earlier than our reservation).

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:52 am

As with America, generally, I find the best food at Disney to be in the New Orleans area.

Then again, I haven't been to FL Disney since the 1980s, so maybe take my words with a grain a salt.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:43 pm

We are headed to Tusker House tomorrow. They told us we could park at Grand Floridian for our tea party this afternoon and just monorail it from there to MK. Big if true. I absolutely hate getting into MK.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:05 pm

We are headed to Tusker House tomorrow. They told us we could park at Grand Floridian for our tea party this afternoon and just monorail it from there to MK. Big if true. I absolutely hate getting into MK.
Who is "they"? Disney has been cracking down on guests parking at monorail resorts that aren't staying there. You can say you're there to eat but they may only give you a limited time parking pass so you risk getting a ticket/towed. I'm assuming you're not staying onsite?

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:00 pm

All of the talk in regards to Disney I've seen here and in the weather thread solidify my stance that if my kids want to see Mickey Mouse, I'll turn the TV on.