Travel Thread

Ad@m

Travel Thread

Postby Ad@m » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:14 am

I worked at the O at one point. The restaurant I worked at in Bedford is shutting down come new year too. So many memories.
Ed's is closing? Oh man, that's sad.
You can purchase it.

https://bedford.howardhanna.com/Propert ... dsPA/62269

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:46 pm

I worked at the O at one point. The restaurant I worked at in Bedford is shutting down come new year too. So many memories.
Ed's is closing? Oh man, that's sad.
You can purchase it.

https://bedford.howardhanna.com/Propert ... dsPA/62269
That's a steep price.

Yeah C2i, definitely get that impression looking at recent reviews

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:39 pm

Mrs Tif and I are booked for New Orleans in April. We've been to Vegas and Santa Barbara this year, which don't really count as 'travel' for us. So this will be our first trip since................ s**t, I can't even remember.

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:25 pm

Mrs Tif and I are booked for New Orleans in April. We've been to Vegas and Santa Barbara this year, which don't really count as 'travel' for us. So this will be our first trip since................ s**t, I can't even remember.
You know I love NOLA but we just had friends come back and while they had fun, some favorite restaurants are closed or gone. Many places just had frozen bar foods. Reservations were slim at “good” places. I hope things are better for you.

I look forward to going back!

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:27 pm

We were afraid of that, so we checked before we committed. The 4 or 5 places that really matter to us are all at least still up and running, so good for them. And of course the music on Royal St and at Pres Hall is a thing.

It will be our first time there since Leah Chase passed away.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:33 pm

Also we're planning on going to the WW2 museum, which means this will be our first trip there with a plan that involves more than just 'laissez les bons temps rouler'-ing our asses from meal to meal.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:00 am

Also we're planning on going to the WW2 museum, which means this will be our first trip there with a plan that involves more than just 'laissez les bons temps rouler'-ing our asses from meal to meal.
Early or late April? Around JazzFest? I'll likely be there in late April but for golf reasons, not jazz reasons. When I was there last year, it was a lot different than previous years with restaurants only open certain days but the crowds at least were down since we were in the early days of the vaccine.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 1:16 am

I think we're going the second weekend of April.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:13 am

My one and only trip to NOLA was in 2017 for a conference. It was a tight trip, with little spare/downtime but I do wish I had taken an extra day to go to the WWII museum. Really regret that now. Did eat very well though, thanks to some of the recommendations ITT.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:40 pm

Brother and SIL flying to Phoenix today to visit SIL's mother. Were supposed to fly Pittsburgh -> Atlanta -> Phoenix on Delta. The Pittsburgh-to-Atlanta flight was canceled, so they had to take American to JFK three hours later and then catch a six-hour flight from New York to Phoenix.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:43 pm

For those of you visiting L.A.: Larry David's 'shortcut to the Valley' as expressed in the last season of Curb is actually pretty good. Not as good as mine, even if it covers similar territory and overlaps in a few places.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:54 am

I've found that most of the time when somebody has hated their experience at Disney World/Land, they just did it wrong.
I loved Disney World, but it is exhausting as a parent. There is no comparison between going adults only or bringing small children.
Fair point. With kids I imagine you're having to plan some rest time. I've only gone with nephews but my advice to those with kids would be to rope drop then head back to the hotel for naps/pool time around lunch. Return to the parks after dinner. As a proud childless millennial, I don't think I'd enjoy Disney nearly as much with kids. I ain't waiting in no line to meet a college kid in a costume.
That said, my wife is a full blown Disney freak and the recent business practices have really turned her off from wanting to go anytime soon. And we've been twice with our daughter already.
Are you talking about genie+? I was put off at first too, but I think it's going to be better than the old fast pass system. It's more similar to paper fast passes, and you could work the hell out of that system.
genie+ stinks. bring back the old fast pass system

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:09 am

I've found that most of the time when somebody has hated their experience at Disney World/Land, they just did it wrong.
I loved Disney World, but it is exhausting as a parent. There is no comparison between going adults only or bringing small children.
Fair point. With kids I imagine you're having to plan some rest time. I've only gone with nephews but my advice to those with kids would be to rope drop then head back to the hotel for naps/pool time around lunch. Return to the parks after dinner. As a proud childless millennial, I don't think I'd enjoy Disney nearly as much with kids. I ain't waiting in no line to meet a college kid in a costume.
That said, my wife is a full blown Disney freak and the recent business practices have really turned her off from wanting to go anytime soon. And we've been twice with our daughter already.
Are you talking about genie+? I was put off at first too, but I think it's going to be better than the old fast pass system. It's more similar to paper fast passes, and you could work the hell out of that system.
genie+ stinks. bring back the old fast pass system
I haven't used it yet. Did you have a bad experience? From what I can tell, it's more similar to the old paper fast pass system which you could easily game it just took a bit more work.

Joegap

Travel Thread

Postby Joegap » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:33 pm

My brother in law has Diabetes, and they gave us a disability pass. Man it was awesome. We barely had to wait in any lines.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:40 pm

I haven't used it yet. Did you have a bad experience? From what I can tell, it's more similar to the old paper fast pass system which you could easily game it just took a bit more work.
a few of my gripes

you can only book one at a time (unless one is 2 hours away from your initial booking)
you can only do one once a day
the extra price for the lightning lane is nice but this is more of a fundamental beef that there are now three options to pay extra for the rides in each park
allowing you to book 2 at a time i think would take all of the beef away
once you get the hang of it, its OK; i just liked the old fast pass

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:42 pm

So I didn't say it in the Job thread, but my new gig is at Disney. I just booked my first Main Entry Pass park reservation for next month, and I am quite jazzed.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:43 pm

you work for a mouse

LITT

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

So I didn't say it in the Job thread, but my new gig is at Disney. I just booked my first Main Entry Pass park reservation for next month, and I am quite jazzed.

nice thats awesome. congrats

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:44 pm

I hate you, tif.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:49 pm

Congrats tif! Can't wait to hear more stories from the industry. That's so rad

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:50 pm

you work for a mouse
I have emails in my inbox from Bob Iger.

Granted, they are all-hands blast notices that a quarter millions other Employees got, but still.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:51 pm

**** 'all-hands' meetings.

But congrats anyway - sounds like you're enjoying it.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 3:16 pm

Heh, we had an applicant a few years ago - a former college intern at WDW - use Mickey Mouse as his reference contact. OK. :lol:

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:06 pm

Heh, we had an applicant a few years ago - a former college intern at WDW - use Mickey Mouse as his reference contact. OK. :lol:
Just tell them to have a magical day.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:16 pm

I prefer 'have a Jolli day'. The fried chicken is better.