Travel Thread

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Big Gay Ice Cream is a chain...the one in Philly had roughly one flavor...

Sedutto is the ice cream spot for all time. Worth a trip up on the Q.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:40 pm

@mikey to confirm
If you standstill for too long, your flops melt to the pavement, my friend...
Flip flops? What kind of man do you think I am

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:45 pm

Lesser than me apparently. I'm all flops from St. Patrick's Day to Halloween...maybe Thanksgiving these days, even...cuz the earth is all PMS-y at us for no reason...

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:50 pm

Any NYC restaurant recommendations? Staying in lower Manhattan this weekend
can confirm John's on Bleeker for pizza.
Big Gay Ice Cream for a frosty treat. the Salty Pimp is awesome!
Joe's Shanghai for chinese soup dumplings (please eat them correctly)
JG Mellon's for an outrageous burger
Junior's for cheesecake
Gracias. Leaving tomorrow so options to fit something else in are limited but we'd like to try and get to Johns

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:13 pm

Lesser than me apparently. I'm all flops from St. Patrick's Day to Halloween...maybe Thanksgiving these days, even...cuz the earth is all PMS-y at us for no reason...
No reason? Ozone, man. Haven't you heard?

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:32 pm

I had you as a Birkenstocks guy

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 5:57 pm

Made it to Ocean City. Had an 18 wheeler pop a tire near us and had tire remnants fly back and take out the passenger fog light on my car and another piece graze the windshield about 3 hours on to our drive.

Scary but could have been worse. No other major damage and my car is still driveable. If we would have been in my wife's car that is lower to the ground it would have taken out a headlight rather than a fog light.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Jul 23, 2022 6:35 pm

Big gay ice cream is the liberal version of black rifle coffee company. Ho hum product with great marketing.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:39 pm

last time I did Big Gay IC was Feb 2020, I think in the Village? there were several flavors and it was outstanding.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:31 am

I once had a rear trailer tire pop on an 18-wheeler directly ahead of me on the PA turnpike. It blew the mud flap and the flap's metal mounting arm completely off the trailer. Fortunately for me, the assembly bounced off the highway and then sailed completely over my car without hitting anything. I can still remember how loud the "boom" was for that tire letting go. Scared the heck out of me.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:52 am

Analogue in Greenwich village. Good vibes

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:55 am

I once had a rear trailer tire pop on an 18-wheeler directly ahead of me on the PA turnpike. It blew the mud flap and the flap's metal mounting arm completely off the trailer. Fortunately for me, the assembly bounced off the highway and then sailed completely over my car without hitting anything. I can still remember how loud the "boom" was for that tire letting go. Scared the heck out of me.
Yeah if the tire debris had been up a bit higher it hits the windshield and we probably wreck as does everyone around us....and who knows how bad it goes.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:13 am

The Gaelic football final is today and apparently Kerry county, where I’m staying (Killarney and the southwest) is by far the most dominant team in the sports history and is playing today

this is one of my favorite things about traveling. Ingesting the culture and learning something I never would’ve thought about otherwise

Also interesting that Gaelic games (hurling, Gaelic football) are the most popular sport. I love the pride they have in their own ****

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:57 am

1. Katie Taylor is awesome. Boxing coach and trainer that I've been following for over a decade (Ross Enamait) is her trainer and it's been awesome to see him hit it "big" with a name.

2. Gaelic games sounds like a great time. A while back I did some reading into why Ireland doesn't have the soccer culture of the rest of the UK and it's due to the dedication to Gaelic sports as part of their history and culture, to the point of years ago the government actively dissuading people from participating in an English sport.

Beveridge

Travel Thread

Postby Beveridge » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:04 pm

@NTP66 hot as hell but he's having a blast and dad is in the AC for little sister's nap. Win for everyone but mom. :lol:

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 1:16 pm

:lol:

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:23 pm

I love the pride they have in their own ****
Wait til you see America

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:30 pm

1. Katie Taylor is awesome. Boxing coach and trainer that I've been following for over a decade (Ross Enamait) is her trainer and it's been awesome to see him hit it "big" with a name.

2. Gaelic games sounds like a great time. A while back I did some reading into why Ireland doesn't have the soccer culture of the rest of the UK and it's due to the dedication to Gaelic sports as part of their history and culture, to the point of years ago the government actively dissuading people from participating in an English sport.
“Rest of the UK.”

Say that in Dublin sometime.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:33 pm

“Rest of the UK.”

Say that in Dublin sometime.
lol I said that once but quickly corrected myself. “British Isles” doesn’t roll off the tongue as nicely though

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:01 pm

Driving through countless small towns throughout Ireland, I loved checking out the GAA stuff. There are some very active GAA branches here in the States and elsewhere.

https://usgaa.org/usgaa-interactive-map/

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:03 am

So this good or nah?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:18 am

It depends...

I watched a video last night about low-cost high-speed rail in Europe. They took the US deregulation of airlines model and showed that it's happening to rail in Europe. With good outcomes.

One of the things they mentioned was that low cost carriers like Ouigo (French trains) and Spirit have the effect of not only fostering competition between the low cast carriers but they also drive down the fares for the larger carriers. So in this case I'd think it would ultimately not benefit the consumer, depending how many other players there are in the budget airline game.

The video, if interested:

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:22 pm

When we went to Spain, the train tickets back and forth between Barcelona and San Sebastián were nearly $500 a piece. That was rather a lot more than I thought it was going to be.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:23 pm

Driving through countless small towns throughout Ireland, I loved checking out the GAA stuff. There are some very active GAA branches here in the States and elsewhere.

https://usgaa.org/usgaa-interactive-map/
I have a Dún na nGall (Donegal) GAA hat that I keep on/near my desk.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:29 pm

When we went to Spain, the train tickets back and forth between Barcelona and San Sebastián were nearly $500 a piece. That was rather a lot more than I thought it was going to be.
Yep. London to Paris was $490 a piece for a one way ticket.