Travel Thread

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:50 am

we are looking to go to big worshington (dc) for the cherry blossoms for a long weekend. likely getting an airbnb as we will have 6 people. any advice on where to stay?
Depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. If you’re looking to go during peak bloom I would suggest not staying in an Airbnb. We went last year for the cherry blossoms and due to constant changes in the projected peak bloom date I had hotels booked for six consecutive weekends and would cancel once those dates fell off the projection list. Still ended up missing peak bloom by about a week because a late frost killed a bunch of buds and they took an extra week to recover.

If you’re just looking to go sometime during the cherry blossom festival and don’t care about peak bloom, I would suggest finding somewhere close to the tidal basin as traffic will be a special kind of shitshow, even by DC standards. We stayed at a hotel in Navy Yard, which was walking distance but even areas like Georgetown or DuPont Circle would probably be fine. Just don’t stay out in the boonies and not expect it to take forever to get anywhere.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 am

If you’re just looking to go sometime during the cherry blossom festival and don’t care about peak bloom, I would suggest finding somewhere close to the tidal basin as traffic will be a special kind of shitshow, even by DC standards. We stayed at a hotel in Navy Yard, which was walking distance but even areas like Georgetown or DuPont Circle would probably be fine. Just don’t stay out in the boonies and not expect it to take forever to get anywhere.
This is good advice. That said, there are some good AirBNBs in places around Dupont, etc. that would be a good bet. But yeah, don't stay in the burbs or outside the beltway. The metros are going to be crammed coming in from the terminal points.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:42 am

we are somewhat constrained due to work schedules so we are targeting two specific weekends. One is the last of march and one is the first in april. we are going to shoot for the first in april and hope it works

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:35 pm

I was thinking of random towns in PA today. What smaller towns in PA do yinz like to drive through/spend time in? I always thought Philipsburg was a beautiful town, I used to love driving through there on the way to the Clearfield Fair.

I like Saltsburg too.

llipgh2

Travel Thread

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:03 pm

I was thinking of random towns in PA today. What smaller towns in PA do yinz like to drive through/spend time in? I always thought Philipsburg was a beautiful town, I used to love driving through there on the way to the Clearfield Fair.

I like Saltsburg too.
Ligonier.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:04 pm

There is a good candy store on the square in Ligonier.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Ligonier is a great one. I love towns that have the central park in the middle, and the Diamond is awesome. Ligonier Creamery is awesome.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:08 pm

The wife and I had our PA wedding reception in Ligonier. It was at Mill Creek but it changes its name every few years.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:30 pm

We used to go to Ligonier for some festival - Pioneer Days? - back when we lived there. Very cool little town.

I used to go with my Dad up to Bradford for him to check on Pitt-Bradford's dining operations. Another cool little city, with a lighter factory!

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:31 pm

Fort Ligonier Days probably.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:33 pm

That was it. Good times. I remember eating a lot, which made for a good day. :lol:

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:45 pm

This is good advice. That said, there are some good AirBNBs in places around Dupont, etc. that would be a good bet. But yeah, don't stay in the burbs or outside the beltway. The metros are going to be crammed coming in from the terminal points.
If you're coming into the city during rush hour, yes. But when I was going on the regular, I'd drive to Rockville park-and-ride and catch the Metro there at around 10 am or so, and it was never really that crowded. (Granted, I was never wrangling little childrens.)

The closest Metro station to the Tidal Basin is I think the Smithsonian, which is only a couple blocks away.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:58 pm

as part of my trip out to Cali (going to the US Open at Pebble) I'm planning on visiting Yosemite for 3 or so days
Have you ever been to Monterey before? Are you staying in the area?
No and yes, kind of. I'm staying in an Airbnb in Freedom whichis ~40 mins from Monterey with no traffic it looks like. Friday and Sunday if that weekend are my golf days and Thursday/Saturday are my exploration days. Definitely going to explore the coast line
Okay, that's basically Watsonville; closer to Santa Cruz, so you've got options for sightseeing north from your base as well as down the bay. From Monterey north all the way up to Oregon basically is the bit of the California coast that's in all the commercials. So even just driving along PCH can be fun.

Monterey Aquarium is one of my favorite places anywhere. There are tons of good-to-great restaurants in Monterey and Pacific Grove at all price points, so you're covered there. June is early enough in the year that the overcast/fog probably will not have settled in yet. (Further north, May-September is gloomy, which is precisely when you want sht weather.) But as it's coastal, it can still get chilly and windy, so prepare for layers.

Don't know if you've made your travel plans yet, but you would probably be better served flying into San Jose than trying to find a flight into Monterey. It's about the same distance, but the drive south from SanJo is incredibly scenic and cuts through a redwood forest before hitting the coast.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:59 pm

as part of my trip out to Cali (going to the US Open at Pebble) I'm planning on visiting Yosemite for 3 or so days
Have you ever been to Monterey before? Are you staying in the area?
No and yes, kind of. I'm staying in an Airbnb in Freedom whichis ~40 mins from Monterey with no traffic it looks like. Friday and Sunday if that weekend are my golf days and Thursday/Saturday are my exploration days. Definitely going to explore the coast line
Okay, that's basically Watsonville; closer to Santa Cruz, so you've got options for sightseeing north from your base as well as down the bay. From Monterey north all the way up to Oregon basically is the bit of the California coast that's in all the commercials. So even just driving along PCH can be fun.

Monterey Aquarium is one of my favorite places anywhere. There are tons of good-to-great restaurants in Monterey and Pacific Grove at all price points, so you're covered there. June is early enough in the year that the overcast/fog probably will not have settled in yet. (Further north, May-September is gloomy, which is precisely when you want sht weather.) But as it's coastal, it can still get chilly and windy, so prepare for layers.

Don't know if you've made your travel plans yet, but you would probably be better served flying into San Jose than trying to find a flight into Monterey. It's about the same distance, but the drive south from SanJo is incredibly scenic and cuts through a redwood forest before hitting the coast.
I'm flying into Fresno, renting a car and driving out to Monterey then returning after the tournament, exploring Yosemite and then flying back out of Fresno.

I used points for my flight and flying into San Jose or Monterey was tough

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:04 pm

That's like a 3-hour drive through farm country. Be prepared for miles of "GROWING FOOD IS NOT WASTING WATER" billboards.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:28 pm

"FOOD GROWS WHERE WATER FLOWS"

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:24 am

anyone here with experience of LAX vs SNA? our hockey travel team won at the district level and now we're headed to Anaheim the first weekend of April for USA Hockey National Championships. trying to determine if it's worth the extra money/miles to fly Delta into John Wayne airport rather than LAX. SNA is about 20 minutes closer to our hotel which isn't a big deal but one teammate pointed out that it'll also be easier to get in and out of compared to LAX.
my experience with LAX is limited to short layovers to/from Hawaii. thoughts? advice?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:35 am

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville, Gap and Ridgeway. Close by, I enjoy Sugar Creek, OH

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:40 am

Any thoughts on deep Creek Maryland for a quick weekend getaway at the end of March?

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:48 am

Gap
My man! I live in Gap. Have you visited the Town Clock Cheese Shoppe? Or Lapp Farm just up the road?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:51 am

Gap
My man! I live in Gap. Have you visited the Town Clock Cheese Shoppe? Or Lapp Farm just up the road?
Cool, to my knowledge, I don't remember ever stopping there, but I have vivid memories of driving through when I was a kid every year on the way to Cape May and seeing the clock.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:53 am

I like Saltsburg too.
Brookville, Gap and Ridgeway. Close by, I enjoy Sugar Creek, OH
Brookville is a good choice imo and one of the nicer downtowns in a PA county seat. Ridgeway is also surprisingly nice.

Other good choices:

Wellsboro
Tionesta/Tidioute

I know someone on 5af is from Williamsport. I spent an evening last summer in downtown Williamsport and it definitely seems like a lot of money is being put into downtown. it was fairly busy for a Thursday night.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:11 am

anyone here with experience of LAX vs SNA? our hockey travel team won at the district level and now we're headed to Anaheim the first weekend of April for USA Hockey National Championships. trying to determine if it's worth the extra money/miles to fly Delta into John Wayne airport rather than LAX. SNA is about 20 minutes closer to our hotel which isn't a big deal but one teammate pointed out that it'll also be easier to get in and out of compared to LAX.
my experience with LAX is limited to short layovers to/from Hawaii. thoughts? advice?
I've flown through SNA in the past with Delta and had a good experience. Not only was it much more convenient to get to our hotel in Anaheim, but it was quicker to get out stuff and leave and vice versa on the return trip.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:18 am

Any thoughts on deep Creek Maryland for a quick weekend getaway at the end of March?
Kind of a strange weekend to go, but it depends on what you're into. It's fun in the summer and winter, but early spring? II'm sure there are hiking trails and other things, but I can't recollect much to do other than winter/summer stuff.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Mar 12, 2019 9:22 am

I've flown through SNA in the past with Delta and had a good experience. Not only was it much more convenient to get to our hotel in Anaheim, but it was quicker to get out stuff and leave and vice versa on the return trip.
I'm also interested in the responses. My wife's aunt unexpectedly gifted her a large amount of money, so the first thing we said is we have to visit her. She lives in Huntington Beach, so SNA or LAX are options for us.