Travel Thread

Beveridge

Travel Thread

Postby Beveridge » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:20 am

Uranus is visible to the naked eye. Very dim though. I've never seen it.
Have at it, @meow .

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:31 am

Use a mirror

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:12 am

Hanging out at Cherry Springs for the weekend. First time I've seen the Milky Way band. Also saw a meteorite shaded green burning through the atmosphere. Have a good view of Neptune and Saturn as well.
Nice!! We are going to Potter County next month and I am praying for clear skies.

Did you spot Neptune through binocs or a telescope? Interestingly, in extremely dark skies and perfect conditions, Uranus is visible to the naked eye. Very dim though. I've never seen it.
We could see it with our naked eyes, and used a stargazing app to confirm what it was.

We also saw Uranus briefly Wednesday night.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:26 am

Have at it, @meow .
I was just talking about our elevated discourse last week :pop:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:22 am

Hanging out at Cherry Springs for the weekend. First time I've seen the Milky Way band. Also saw a meteorite shaded green burning through the atmosphere. Have a good view of Neptune and Saturn as well.
Nice!! We are going to Potter County next month and I am praying for clear skies.

Did you spot Neptune through binocs or a telescope? Interestingly, in extremely dark skies and perfect conditions, Uranus is visible to the naked eye. Very dim though. I've never seen it.
We could see it with our naked eyes, and used a stargazing app to confirm what it was.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you definitely did not see Neptune with your naked eye. It is the only planet in the solar system that is never visible to the naked eye...it's apparent magnitude is close to 8, which is well above the naked eye limit even in the best of conditions.

Man I can't wait to get up there.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:35 am

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you definitely did not see Neptune with your naked eye. It is the only planet in the solar system that is never visible to the naked eye...it's apparent magnitude is close to 8, which is well above the naked eye limit even in the best of conditions.

Highly recommend Gary's putter golf and jiffy pup restaurant for good mini golfing. The Coudersport Ice mine is something. I'll leave it at that. Lyman state park has a nice lake view on a trail that was fun for the whole family. I love the old timey gas pump at the cherry springs country store.

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:55 am

We thought it was weird that the app said that. However, we did see Jupiter is close to Neptune relatively speaking so we might've confused the 2.

We hit up the Ice Mine, mini golf, and the Jiffy Pup yesterday. I think we're going into Coudersport today since rain is in the forecast.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:00 pm

Shaf: killer of dreams.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:15 pm

:lol:

I felt like a jerk even posting that. That sounds like a really fun area, hoping for good weather, I think we are headed up the third weekend in September.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Aug 26, 2022 12:26 pm

Austin dam was pretty interesting as well if you are in the area.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:21 am

Have at it, @meow .

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:23 am

Another AA flight without screens in the seats. Might as well be Frontier.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:25 am

Another AA flight without screens in the seats. Might as well be Frontier.
They're converting their entire domestic fleet to seatback tablet holders. There are only a few routes that I know of that actually had seatback screens, and most are A321neos serving LAX.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 7:59 am

My wife found this place for our trip up north later this month. We are going to make an appointment to go. Has anyone ever been? Sounds pretty cool, just opened a few years ago.

https://eliotnessmuseum.org/
Coudersport, Pennsylvania, the town where Ness spent his final months and died, has held an annual "Eliot Ness Festival" every third weekend in July since 2018. Past events have included a public reunion of people descended from the original Untouchables, a dramatization of Al Capone's trial, film screenings, author talks, and antique car shows.

In 2019, an "Eliot Ness Museum" inspired by the annual festival opened in downtown Coudersport, featuring several antique cars and exhibits describing Ness's life and career.[

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Sat Sep 03, 2022 9:19 am

My wife found this place for our trip up north later this month. We are going to make an appointment to go. Has anyone ever been? Sounds pretty cool, just opened a few years ago.

https://eliotnessmuseum.org/
Coudersport, Pennsylvania, the town where Ness spent his final months and died, has held an annual "Eliot Ness Festival" every third weekend in July since 2018. Past events have included a public reunion of people descended from the original Untouchables, a dramatization of Al Capone's trial, film screenings, author talks, and antique car shows.

In 2019, an "Eliot Ness Museum" inspired by the annual festival opened in downtown Coudersport, featuring several antique cars and exhibits describing Ness's life and career.[
I just found out that this place existed about 6 months ago. I’d like to check in out. Apparently he moved to Coudersport and lived in a drunken stupor for a few months until he died there.

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:37 am

We considered hitting it up one day last week, but our one buddy was too **** up to do much (yeah, it's a problem) so we skipped it.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Sat Sep 03, 2022 10:55 am

While you are there, check out the Coudersport Ice mine. It sure is pretty up there.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:27 am

Not sure where to put this, so it's going here. Attended the Pittsburgh Renaissance festival after a couple year hiatus and attending other ren fests in past years. Always have fun at this place, but they really have been doing a good job at getting some new acts, organizing the location and cleaning it up. Feels like they put some money into it. It was a blast. Also, every year I'm there, it seems like I run into Tom Savini.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:44 am

Not sure where to put this, so it's going here. Attended the Pittsburgh Renaissance festival after a couple year hiatus and attending other ren fests in past years. Always have fun at this place, but they really have been doing a good job at getting some new acts, organizing the location and cleaning it up. Feels like they put some money into it. It was a blast. Also, every year I'm there, it seems like I run into Tom Savini.
We’re going to the PA Renaissance Faire next weekend, with the theme being “Wizarding World”. Our neighbors are joining us, so it should be a great time.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:28 am

We’re going to the PA Renaissance Faire next weekend, with the theme being “Wizarding World”. Our neighbors are joining us, so it should be a great time.
I've been to that one the last couple years. It's pretty awesome. I like the quiet village in the woods look of the Pitt fest, but the PA fest takes it up a level. It's honestly just fun going to that and people watching.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:32 am

I was last there when I was like 12? Maybe even younger. Looking forward to it.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:37 am

Have fun, I love those things so much. I finally got a new shirt that works better for hot weather only to come home and find out it's basically a gauze crop top with tie straps in the front. Can't wait for next year.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:53 am

It needs to be said that I am not dressing up for this, lol.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:34 pm

We might head up there next Saturday ourselves. Wanted to go today but weather did not cooperate.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Sep 05, 2022 5:38 pm