Travel Thread

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:50 am

Savannah - best areas to stay?
Love Savannah--stay close to the waterfront. Honestly, the older I get, the more I am likely to gravitate towards AirBnbs/VRBO.
I found a nice one for $220 a night. 3 nights came out to 1K after the $218 cleaning charge (wtf?). I'm sure this is standard now but that kinda sucks.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:52 am

For reference our average turnover bill for an apartment, including repainting it, is $250

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:06 pm

@columbia could give you plenty of recommendations, if you know him on other platforms.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:38 pm

Love Savannah--stay close to the waterfront. Honestly, the older I get, the more I am likely to gravitate towards AirBnbs/VRBO.
I found a nice one for $220 a night. 3 nights came out to 1K after the $218 cleaning charge (wtf?). I'm sure this is standard now but that kinda sucks.
I've seen airbnb hosts say they charge such high cleaning fees bc airbnb will not let them charge any occupancy/hotel tax that they are obligated to pay per city ordinances.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:46 pm

@columbia could give you plenty of recommendations, if you know him on other platforms.
RIP c dog

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:46 pm

I've seen airbnb hosts say they charge such high cleaning fees bc airbnb will not let them charge any occupancy/hotel tax that they are obligated to pay per city ordinances.
that actually make some sense

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:02 am

Our original date for the Renaissance Faire was rained out, and it looks like our backup date (tomorrow) is now trashed. Hopefully I can exchange these one more time, otherwise I'll have to eat the cost of the tickets. Get ****, mother nature.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:40 am

The weather held out enough that we did go yesterday. Had a great time, and really enjoyed all of the jousting shows, which were hilarious. Got my obligatory turkey leg (fantastic), too.

People really go all out and dress up. Saw everything from traditional garb to goth/emo people to a man wearing a Champion track suit with a metal bucket on his head - not a helmet, a bucket. Also spotted a mouthbreather (in the literal sense) wearing a pissbaby flag as a cape (why?).

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:42 pm

Nice, we talked about going this weekend as well, but went to Book of Mormon at Hershey theater. Holy hell, that theater is gorgeous. The musical was pretty damn funny too. It was definitely at it's best when it was smart and clever, but the dick jokes got carried out a little too long. I would probably see it again if it was about 30- 45 minutes shorter. Very surprised people didn't walk out, there were a lot of older people there that I didn't expect to still be there at the end.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:10 pm

I don't think any of us are going there soon, but:

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:13 pm

just spent a week in the only part of Florida not hit by Ian. it was spectacular :) #nofilter

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:28 pm

I don't think any of us are going there soon, but:
My inlaws are headed there in 12 days :lol:

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:21 am

taking my first flight Friday since COVID started. today I started going through the various travel apps on my phone, particularly for off-airport parking.
guess I redeemed those points at the perfect time!

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:46 pm

I was in Vegas this weekend and we stayed at the Cosmo, which now makes it 3 times I’ve stayed there in the 3 times I’ve been in Vegas

more interestingly, however, my sister in law’s coworker came to Vegas too. He and his family are very well off. So much so that he booked a room at Caesar’s but didn’t stay there because he also had a (Skyloft) suite booked at the MGM Grand

the suite itself, while definitely nice and very spacious (3000 sq ft), was a little underwhelming. really the only cool bits about it, other than the size, was the sound system and the remote controlled lights/blinds. And even though it was really big, my idea of a “Vegas suite” is a large open concept space like in The Hangover. This one has a lot of different rooms and felt a little disjointed

I got to see some really cool stuff though, including The Mansion. It’s the part of the hotel where celebs stay and we actually got in a little tizzy because at first security wouldn’t let us just tour around the main area. But thankfully the coworker had some connects and I was able to walk around a little bit. There’s also a restaurant in the Mansion that we were able to eat at but that’s the only place we were allowed to be unaccompanied.

**** is crazy though. I’ve always wondered where the ultra rich stay in places like Vegas

there are three sides to the villa. Each of the top floors on each side is an entire suite and the lower levels are split up into separate suites

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:23 am

first (and probably only) trip to New Orleans complete. among the things I learned:
pretty much all of the French quarter smells of human piss and horses
National WWII Museum was great.
the city may be dirty but the people of New Orleans are great.
Cafe Du Monde is horribly overrated. Cafe Beignet FTW!
Air BnBs aren't worth the hassle. too many fees and the very real possibility of mice. (yep, it happened). I'll stick to Hiltons from now on.
Last edited by shoeshine boy on Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:25 am

Source of the post pretty much all of the French quarter smells of human piss and horses
Sounds like you don't need to visit Philly now, either.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:27 am

Visited the kinzua bridge this weekend to see the foliage. Unfortunately the wind in the valley had already taken down all the leaves, but the surrounding areas were gorgeous. I've been going to the bridge all my life and I've never seen so many people there this time. There was a line 3/4 of a mile long to get in to park. Crazy. Kids always have a blast with the strong wind gusts so it makes it worth the trip regardless of the people or view. They've done a wonderful job with it over the years. Stopped in Kane for lunch at Table 105. It was very good.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:17 am

Visited the kinzua bridge this weekend to see the foliage. Unfortunately the wind in the valley had already taken down all the leaves, but the surrounding areas were gorgeous. I've been going to the bridge all my life and I've never seen so many people there this time. There was a line 3/4 of a mile long to get in to park. Crazy. Kids always have a blast with the strong wind gusts so it makes it worth the trip regardless of the people or view. They've done a wonderful job with it over the years. Stopped in Kane for lunch at Table 105. It was very good.
:thumb:

We did not get that far west on our last trip...will definitely be wanting to check out that area, ANF, Benezette, etc. our next time up.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:25 am

first (and probably only) trip to New Orleans complete. among the things I learned:
pretty much all of the French quarter smells of human piss and horses
National WWII Museum was great.
the city may be dirty but the people of New Orleans are great.
Cafe Du Monde is horribly overrated. Cafe Beignet FTW!
Air BnBs aren't worth the hassle. too many fees and the very real possibility of mice. (yep, it happened). I'll stick to Hiltons from now on.
New Orleans (at least the French Quarter portion) is a cesspool and I'll be happy if I don't have to go back there again. A little south of downtown, there's a couple of nice, ritzy neighborhoods though. Yes, the people are nice (for the most part) and yes, the food is outstanding when you find the right places. But geez, that city does need another bath (one of my camera guys always says this when N-O gets brought up).

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Oct 19, 2022 11:53 am

New Orleans (at least the French Quarter portion) is a cesspool and I'll be happy if I don't have to go back there again. A little south of downtown, there's a couple of nice, ritzy neighborhoods though. Yes, the people are nice (for the most part) and yes, the food is outstanding when you find the right places. But geez, that city does need another bath (one of my camera guys always says this when N-O gets brought up).
exactly. we saw a few nice neighborhoods but mostly that place is a dump and just not that interesting. I doubt that I'll ever go back again.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:28 pm

exactly. we saw a few nice neighborhoods but mostly that place is a dump and just not that interesting. I doubt that I'll ever go back again.
Yep. Happy I saw it but one and done for me. Driving through that area on 10 was depressing too. Urban blight everywhere.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:14 pm

I will defend the honor of NOLA until you are all smitened by my mighty hand of justice.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:25 pm

Got upgraded to first on AA coming back from MSP and while I’d rather have the larger seat, early board/exit and extra legroom than not, I’d be hard pressed to find a reason to spend the exorbitant amount to actually pay for the product. We got a boxed meal on one leg and were asked if we wanted additional drinks. That’s pretty much it. Got mixed nuts, no basket to choose a snack like that’s worth much. They don’t even give you a drink on the ground before you go anymore, apparently. Have had the boarding process held up countless times while the FA took care of that.

It might be worth it long haul but MCE is a better value especially since it comes with free booze.

Also I hate saying much good about AA or any airline really, but we had to stay at Mayo an extra day and their phone customer service people were top notch helping me navigate getting things changed.

Finally, against my better judgement we went through LGA. Both flights arrived early, and wow, LGA is a showplace now. Really impressed with the job they did. The AA gates are all just steps apart. Granted it is still a pain in the ass to get to but not an issue connecting

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 6:32 am

Source of the post It might be worth it long haul but MCE is a better value especially since it comes with free booze.
I agree 100%.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:58 am

Booked Thanksgiving week in Hilton Head. Looking forward to avoiding family drama for that holiday and also keeping my wife off of lesson planning for a few days.