Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:18 am

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:24 am

Pics from curve pa and potter county on 5af in the same week? Good vibes

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:59 am

Went to Deep Creek for a few days. Didn't have a ton of luck with the fishing, but it was nice to get away for a bit anyway.

The oddest thing was the lack of true bait shops. There were some random businesses that also happen to sell bait, but you'd never guess from the outside.

Also was basically a 15 minute drive from where we were staying to any kind of real civilization. Good for peace, not great for when you need something.

One of the highlights of the trip was when we stopped at Mountain State Brewery. Not because of the beer, that was mediocre. The pulled pork sammich was ridiculous. I dunno what the pork was cooked in, but it was different than anything I've ever had before. Maybe some kind of apple butter? Whatever it was, it was excellent.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:12 am

:fist:

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:23 am

Looks very similar to what we had last month. Would be funny if shad managed to stay in the same place we did (if you have a rose carpeted basement with a pool table and non-functional jukebox, you are lol).

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:23 am

Went to Deep Creek for a few days. Didn't have a ton of luck with the fishing, but it was nice to get away for a bit anyway.

The oddest thing was the lack of true bait shops. There were some random businesses that also happen to sell bait, but you'd never guess from the outside.

Also was basically a 15 minute drive from where we were staying to any kind of real civilization. Good for peace, not great for when you need something.

One of the highlights of the trip was when we stopped at Mountain State Brewery. Not because of the beer, that was mediocre. The pulled pork sammich was ridiculous. I dunno what the pork was cooked in, but it was different than anything I've ever had before. Maybe some kind of apple butter? Whatever it was, it was excellent.
We always hit up Brenda's pizza when in Deep Creek

the wicked child

Travel Thread

Postby the wicked child » Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:12 pm

We hit Brenda's for lunch one day. Solid pie.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:16 am

Looks very similar to what we had last month. Would be funny if shad managed to stay in the same place we did (if you have a rose carpeted basement with a pool table and non-functional jukebox, you are lol).
:thumb: :lol:

We are like a mile north of the SP on 44.

We checked out Sinnemahoning State Park (the newish wildlife center there is awesome for kids) and Austin Dam yesterday, among other things. Just one nice drive after another.

Eliot Ness Museum this morning.

AuthorTony

Travel Thread

Postby AuthorTony » Sat Sep 17, 2022 5:15 pm

Have already seen a bunch of pheasant, a wolf, and a gigantic pile of bear crap along the edge of the woods next to our house.
Are you sure about that?

Ad@m

Travel Thread

Postby Ad@m » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:36 pm

Have already seen a bunch of pheasant, a wolf, and a gigantic pile of bear crap along the edge of the woods next to our house.
Are you sure about that?
:lol:

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:32 am

Are you sure about that?
:lol:

Fox, not wolf, sorry. Saw him a few times.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Sun Sep 18, 2022 9:59 am

Little Red Riding Shaf.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:36 pm

Booked our vacation for next summer. Looking for a bigger vehicle rental for 7 people. Anyone have any experience renting a sprinter van? I can't figure out if a minivan or large SUV will be better for 4 adults and 3 kids. What you say?

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:11 pm

For our Tour of California many years ago we had an extended Suburban for five adults and two kids. I did 99% of the driving so it wasn't an issue for me, but with people and two weeks worth of luggage it was not very spacious or comfortable seating. I can easily see a Sprinter being much more comfortable, but also infinitely less fun to drive than an 8 cylinder tank getting like 4 miles per gallon.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 19, 2022 3:21 pm

We normally go the minivan route for vacation, but we are adding 2 more adults next year, so I wasn't quite sure if you had more room in an SUV or minivan. I think I'll keep the minivan option while trying to figure out how the hell you go about getting a sprinter van. The enterprise lux car line has been no help.

Troy Loney

Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:40 am

I got you, TL. No car. Willing to Uber? What type of food you looking for?
Rather stay walking distance of AC Hotel by Marriott Charlotte City Center.

There's a ton of places right there, don't need the best, just maybe like, "go here, not there". Probably be stupid long days at the office, so would just want to know which of those places would be good to just head over and eat as opposed to those needing some sort of reservation/dealing with rabble/etc
Ok. So you want to stay north of Caldwell. South of there is a restaurant black hole. I'm not sure what has survived in EpiCenter, but I'd stay away from there. My favorite places within a few blocks of your hotel are MOA Korean BBQ and Que Onda Tacos. Both are great and you shouldn't need reservations. Hell I doubt either take them.

Now. If you want a long walk / short Uber to the best damn place in the city, go to Pinky's on W. Morehead. Get a white trash burger and hushpuppies. I watched Pitt beat Clemson in 2016 there. The Rhino Market is across the street from Pinky's. Their food is awesome too. They also have a big selection of single beer bottle refrigerators to pick out of.
Finishing my Charlotte travels today. I went to MOA one night, i enjoyed it, one of the sides was pretty gross though, but the overall meal was worth it. Just didn't like the bar setup, not a great setup there to just sit at the bar and eat.

Only ventured off of Tryon and Trade street once, and that was last night, the guy I'm working with suggested Pinkys, but when he explained it as basically a grease hole, we opted for a good taco spot in the Southend (I think?).

Epicenter is strange, I didn't get back to the hotel until after 9 two nights, so I just grabbed take out, beer world or whatever was edible, but not good, red line diner or whatever, lol, but was desperate.

Overall, I don't understand this city. Granted I have seen basically none of it, but I can't figure where anyone actually lives. Those scooters are a legit menace because everyone rides on the sidewalks. The CVS didn't have COVID tests, and weird lack of convenience stores.

Orlando Penguin

Travel Thread

Postby Orlando Penguin » Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:57 am

New terminal, same gross inefficiency. Gotta love my ‘home’ airport!!

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:44 pm

Japan lifting almost all of its travel restrictions in October. No daily caps, no mandatory tour groups, no advance visas. Three-shot folks don't need any tests; everyone else needs a pre-departure PCR test within 72 hours.

Damn, I want to eat yakitori and get drunk in an Tokyo izakaya.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:36 pm

I got you, TL. No car. Willing to Uber? What type of food you looking for?
Rather stay walking distance of AC Hotel by Marriott Charlotte City Center.

There's a ton of places right there, don't need the best, just maybe like, "go here, not there". Probably be stupid long days at the office, so would just want to know which of those places would be good to just head over and eat as opposed to those needing some sort of reservation/dealing with rabble/etc
Ok. So you want to stay north of Caldwell. South of there is a restaurant black hole. I'm not sure what has survived in EpiCenter, but I'd stay away from there. My favorite places within a few blocks of your hotel are MOA Korean BBQ and Que Onda Tacos. Both are great and you shouldn't need reservations. Hell I doubt either take them.

Now. If you want a long walk / short Uber to the best damn place in the city, go to Pinky's on W. Morehead. Get a white trash burger and hushpuppies. I watched Pitt beat Clemson in 2016 there. The Rhino Market is across the street from Pinky's. Their food is awesome too. They also have a big selection of single beer bottle refrigerators to pick out of.
Finishing my Charlotte travels today. I went to MOA one night, i enjoyed it, one of the sides was pretty gross though, but the overall meal was worth it. Just didn't like the bar setup, not a great setup there to just sit at the bar and eat.

Only ventured off of Tryon and Trade street once, and that was last night, the guy I'm working with suggested Pinkys, but when he explained it as basically a grease hole, we opted for a good taco spot in the Southend (I think?).

Epicenter is strange, I didn't get back to the hotel until after 9 two nights, so I just grabbed take out, beer world or whatever was edible, but not good, red line diner or whatever, lol, but was desperate.

Overall, I don't understand this city. Granted I have seen basically none of it, but I can't figure where anyone actually lives. Those scooters are a legit menace because everyone rides on the sidewalks. The CVS didn't have COVID tests, and weird lack of convenience stores.
Condado?

The finance bros are mostly who use the scooters and they are a bunch of turds. No one lives where you were.

Troy Loney

Travel Thread

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:54 am

Not Condado, not sure what it was though, all I know is that it's the same owner as a BBQ spot. We were going to go to the BBQ spot but was crowded, so went to the taco spot instead

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:28 am

Savannah - best areas to stay?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:30 am

Not sure about where to stay but Two Cracked Eggs Cafe has sneaky good eggs benedict.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:32 am

nice, I will also take food reccos

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:47 am

Savannah - best areas to stay?
Love Savannah--stay close to the waterfront. Honestly, the older I get, the more I am likely to gravitate towards AirBnbs/VRBO.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:48 am

Mrs. Wilke's Dining Room is awesome. Ditto for Cotton and Rye and the Olde Pink House. Savannah is one of my favorite dining towns.