Travel Thread

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:18 pm

@NTP66

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:43 pm

Question for all of yinz experienced travelers. We're looking at doing a Eurotrip vacation next year. We have Capital One and Chase travel cards and I really don't feel like closing one and reopening it in a couple months (or however long) just to churn so points. Are any of the airlines credit cards and their 50,000+ mile bonuses worth the effort? To me airline miles and their restrictions and blackout periods and their ever changing point values and whatever the hell else all end up seeming like bullshit to me.
Probably not, especially if you're only doing this for a single trip. PIT-LHR is like 70k UR points per person, and PIT-Rome/Paris is around 105k/each. You'd need to churn a few of the cards to get there, and even then I doubt it's worth it. 50k UR points for $4k spend in 3 months would be a hard pass for me.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:43 pm

IMO find a card that lets you convert "points" to money and do it that way. I highly recommend a Barclay MC.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:48 pm

Question for all of yinz experienced travelers. We're looking at doing a Eurotrip vacation next year. We have Capital One and Chase travel cards and I really don't feel like closing one and reopening it in a couple months (or however long) just to churn so points. Are any of the airlines credit cards and their 50,000+ mile bonuses worth the effort? To me airline miles and their restrictions and blackout periods and their ever changing point values and whatever the hell else all end up seeming like bullshit to me.
The Citi AA card is pretty solid for the bonus (you can get 60k miles for pretty normal spending in 3 months). I have one now (used the bonus to fly to Australia) and am trying to get another for thr bonus but I'm having trouble getting the targeted mailer sent to me

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:56 pm

The Citi AA card is pretty solid for the bonus (you can get 60k miles for pretty normal spending in 3 months). I have one now (used the bonus to fly to Australia) and am trying to get another for thr bonus but I'm having trouble getting the targeted mailer sent to me
Did you actually find SAAver miles to australia for 60k miles? That’s impressive.

Sign up for AA accounts for other “people” in your household. I receive mailers for two people currently, and expect a third to be added soon. Takes 3-4 months for them to start showing up in the mail, but make sure you’re using false first names; never apply for one addressed to you or they’ll dry up. I get 2-4 mailers every few weeks and have been averaging 6-10 cards per year. Make sure you follow the 3/65 rule, too.

Also, when you open a new card, once you receive it IMMEDIATELY ask them (via chat) to match you to “the higher offer of 75k miles”. Instant 15k mile bonus making it a 75k/$3k card.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:10 pm

Did you actually find SAAver miles to australia for 60k miles? That’s impressive.

Sign up for AA accounts for other “people” in your household. I receive mailers for two people currently, and expect a third to be added soon. Takes 3-4 months for them to start showing up in the mail, but make sure you’re using false first names; never apply for one addressed to you or they’ll dry up. I get 2-4 mailers every few weeks and have been averaging 6-10 cards per year. Make sure you follow the 3/65 rule, too.

Also, when you open a new card, once you receive it IMMEDIATELY ask them (via chat) to match you to “the higher offer of 75k miles”. Instant 15k mile bonus making it a 75k/$3k card.
No, it's 80k miles. I didn't really know what I was doing at first so I didn't know of the "ask and get more bonus miles" thing and also held this card past its first yearly fee but I'm willing to get a little deeper into churning

As for the fake accounts thing, I didn't realize you had to wait a few months for them to arrive. I signed up for a face account in December but I still haven't gotten one

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:41 pm

This credit card churning stuff amazes me. So looking at different blogs regarding the 3/65 rule it is technically possible to open a card, get the points, wait 18 months, apply for that card again WHILE YOUR FIRST CARD IS STILL OPEN!, get approved and get more points? That’s insanity.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:47 pm

This credit card churning stuff amazes me. So looking at different blogs regarding the 3/65 rule it is technically possible to open a card, get the points, wait 18 months, apply for that card again WHILE YOUR FIRST CARD IS STILL OPEN!, get approved and get more points? That’s insanity.
For Citi AA, it’s now 24 months. But yeah, that’s for people who don’t churn. Mailers bypasses the rule provided that the mailer doesn’t contain the 24-month language. I almost always have two cards open at once, but there are others I know of who keep 6+ open. I don’t see a point in that, and close the card the second I’ve met the $3k spend requirement.

Flyertalk is one of the best resources for this stuff.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm amazed that the people who do it maintain their credit scores

On r/churning I saw a guy who had 20+ AA cards open. I can't imagine keeping track of all that spending

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:34 pm

My credit score has actually risen since I started, but there are a lot of variables. The guy with 20+ cards open must have crazy low limits on them, because Citi isn’t going to extend a huge amount to you overall. I know I’m good for $50k given my combined CLs when I had 3 cards open at once.

I just don’t see the point in having that many cards open at once. It doesn’t make sense for churning.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 am

For Citi AA, it’s now 24 months. But yeah, that’s for people who don’t churn. Mailers bypasses the rule provided that the mailer doesn’t contain the 24-month language. I almost always have two cards open at once, but there are others I know of who keep 6+ open. I don’t see a point in that, and close the card the second I’ve met the $3k spend requirement.

my wife and i have about 700k chase ultimate points (both did the sapphire reserve when it was 100k each, both have done the sapphire preferred for 50k each, both have done ink 80k each) and have about 200k spg combined. if we are looking for additional utimate rewards points, we will need to cancel these cards and wait to reapply? or create a fake name like you mentioned above??

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:34 pm

my wife and i have about 700k chase ultimate points (both did the sapphire reserve when it was 100k each, both have done the sapphire preferred for 50k each, both have done ink 80k each) and have about 200k spg combined. if we are looking for additional utimate rewards points, we will need to cancel these cards and wait to reapply? or create a fake name like you mentioned above??
I don't think you need to cancel the cards, but I also don't churn any of the Chase cards myself. I know they've hardened their 5/24 rule to now include co-branded cards late last year, but that's about it. Here's the FT thread on Chase churning (read the Wiki at the top): https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase-u ... d-152.html

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:38 pm

i cancelled my CSP several months ago and recently tried to open another CSP and it says i already have a sapphire branded card

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:00 pm

likely heading to Denver in late March for a long weekend. we have friends in Boulder but I'd still like to have FAF's recommendations on food and things to do. aaaannnnddddd go!

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:17 pm

have any of you jabronis been to Calgary and if so is it worth a trip? flights there are pretty cheap

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:19 pm

5afers who aren't mikey: best place in downtown philly to go for good food and a good beer list? I'll be there for a convention, so near the convention center is preferable.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:23 pm

have any of you jabronis been to Calgary and if so is it worth a trip? flights there are pretty cheap
never been but some friends went a few years ago. they didn't say much about Calgary but the pictures they took in Banff National Park of Canada (about 90 minutes west) were incredible.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:34 pm

5afers who aren't mikey: best place in downtown philly to go for good food and a good beer list? I'll be there for a convention, so near the convention center is preferable.
well reading terminal market is right there and is pretty awesome

just walk anywhere between the convention center and the Delaware. there is a lot of interesting stuff.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:49 pm

I'm not a beer guy, but most of my coworkers like Iron Hill Brewery, which is right across the street from the convention center. I've had food there, and it's good, albeit a bit pricey. That's if you want to eat at the same place you drink. If they're separate, Reading Terminal Market is one block away.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:50 pm

I'm not a beer guy, but most of my coworkers like Iron Hill Brewery, which is right across the street from the convention center. I've had food there, and it's good, albeit a bit pricey. That's if you want to eat at the same place you drink. If they're separate, Reading Terminal Market is one block away.
I went to Philly in 2011 for a conference and ended up at Brauhaus Schmitz on South Street - great food, excellent German beers (naturally). It’s been a while, but the reviews are still good. Not a far walk from the convention center, IIRC.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:00 pm

South Street is a solid 25-30 minute walk from the convention center.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:39 pm

Eh, I was cooped up in the convention center all day, sitting at presentations and workshops, I needed to stretch my legs...and then burn off all of the beer and German food I ate. :lol:

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Meh city in the middle of a giant prairie

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:52 pm

well reading terminal market is right there and is pretty awesome

just walk anywhere between the convention center and the Delaware. there is a lot of interesting stuff.
This is fantastic advice. That's a gr8 section of Philly.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:52 am

likely heading to Denver in late March for a long weekend. we have friends in Boulder but I'd still like to have FAF's recommendations on food and things to do. aaaannnnddddd go!
I'm sure there are plenty of places to get them: rocky mountain oysters