Travel Thread

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:54 pm

Most high end GM products have had PDRs for a while that capture forward facing video, overlaying metrics on the screens. Corvette, Cadillac, Camaro, etc. Camera is built into the rearview mirror and data is retrieved with an SD card.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Travel Thread

Postby meow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:33 pm

I've seen enough weird **** on my travels through the hinterlands of SC to warrant a dash cam.

Like a few weeks ago, a completely naked dude - other than work boots - smoking a cigarette walking along the side of road in the middle of nowhere. Miles between houses, mostly pine forest and crop plots. Bizarre.
You didn't give @meow a lift home?
I can explain

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 pm

I've seen enough weird **** on my travels through the hinterlands of SC to warrant a dash cam.

Like a few weeks ago, a completely naked dude - other than work boots - smoking a cigarette walking along the side of road in the middle of nowhere. Miles between houses, mostly pine forest and crop plots. Bizarre.
You didn't give @meow a lift home?
I can explain
I think that's what we're afraid of. :pop:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:23 pm

Any decent places for food/beer in Columbus? It looks like I'm heading to a conference there in October. Unfortunately, there'll only be one hockey game during the time I'd be there, and it's the Hurricanes. YIPPEE!

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:54 pm

Any decent places for food/beer in Columbus? It looks like I'm heading to a conference there in October. Unfortunately, there'll only be one hockey game during the time I'd be there, and it's the Hurricanes. YIPPEE!
I always hit up Dirty Franks while I'm in Columbus.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:09 pm

Hot dogs and booze... can't go wrong.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:11 pm

Mikey's late night slice.

Not sure if explorer's club is still around

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:15 pm

Standard plug for Raising Canes.

Elevator Brewery is real close to the Arena District. It's been a while but I remember their beers being pretty decent. They have a Beerhaus and Taproom within 5 or 6 blocks of each other. Platform is close to them as well. Land Grant Brewing is newish and is across the Scioto from the main Downtown area.

Bodega also had a pretty decent selection. They've undergone some changes since I was there so who knows.

If you want cheap Mexican and good alcohol, Cazuela's is on the north side of the campus (past BWW) and their margaritas were pretty good.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:17 pm

Just want to throw this out there: there is a very specific type of crowd that hangs out at the Arena District bars. Some may compare them to a certain feminine hygiene product.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:28 pm

Elevator Brewery is real close to the Arena District. It's been a while but I remember their beers being pretty decent. They have a Beerhaus and Taproom within 5 or 6 blocks of each other. Platform is close to them as well. Land Grant Brewing is newish and is across the Scioto from the main Downtown area.

Bodega also had a pretty decent selection. They've undergone some changes since I was there so who knows.

If you want cheap Mexican and good alcohol, Cazuela's is on the north side of the campus (past BWW) and their margaritas were pretty good.
where was the place we had some beers at? I remember the roof might have opened or something different like that? I remember eating a Cheezus Crust late night, TMNT at some barcade, possibly playing Last of Mohicans on a sidewalk and passing around a bottle of Makers Mark in the last row of the arena.

edit: not sure if this qualifies with what nocera says above

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Source of the post edit: not sure if this qualifies with what nocera says above
:lol:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:42 pm

i am going to Columbus this weekend and will be eating at some food hall or brewery thing in short north so I will have a report sooner than later.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

columbus is good times

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:49 pm

i don't remember much of the time i spent in the short north, i think it was fun

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:50 pm

i am going to Columbus this weekend and will be eating at some food hall or brewery thing in short north so I will have a report sooner than later.
Are you referring to the North Market? https://www.northmarket.com

It's a cool spot. I don't remember a brewery but I do remember getting some good pasta and ramen. Oh and Jeni's.

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:52 pm

Short North is the area that I'm looking to stay, so that would be fantastic to know good places in that neighborhood.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:57 pm

it has something to do with a wolf, so im guessing wolf ridge brewing. not 100% sure tho.

MR25

Travel Thread

Postby MR25 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:46 pm

where was the place we had some beers at? I remember the roof might have opened or something different like that? I remember eating a Cheezus Crust late night, TMNT at some barcade, possibly playing Last of Mohicans on a sidewalk and passing around a bottle of Makers Mark in the last row of the arena.

edit: not sure if this qualifies with what nocera says above

I think the open roof place was Short North Pint House? Google map pictures look familar.

The barcade would have been 16-Bit Arcade, I think.

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:48 pm

Thanks all... I'll look to find an AirBnB/hotel in the Short North area then. Seems to be the happenin place and it's walking distance to the convention center.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:32 am

they don't really have food but we visited Pins Mechanical Company when we were in Columbus. bar selection was outstanding. they use food trucks for the food so that varies by who's there.
https://www.pinsbar.com/columbus

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:40 pm

"I remember the roof might have opened or something different like that?"

I believe they called that the Civic Arena.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:11 pm

"I remember the roof might have opened or something different like that?"

I believe they called that the Civic Arena.
Heard a great story the other day from an older gentleman that attended a Pink Floyd concert at Civic Arena. His buddy was picking him up after the show and the roof opened during the concert and he said the cloud of smoke that came out of the arena was incredible.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 pm

Neil Peart's first gig with Rush was at the Igloo.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:19 pm

Sean McDowell loved to tell that story about Pink Floyd at the Arena. If I could time travel that would definitely be one of the concerts I would attend.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:25 pm

If I could time travel that would definitely be one of the concerts I would attend.
Played that game with friends at our last cookout. Got some pretty interesting answers, and a few that sort of came out of left field.