Travel Thread

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:34 pm

And I ***** about 'carmageddon' in Los Angeles. Wowza.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:45 pm

The reason for the extensive detour Colburn says is that it must be able to handle “tractor trailers, wide loads, heavy loads, all types of traffic.”

But if you are in a personal vehicle, you can easily cut the distance in half. Simply use Route 422 which runs from 79 to New Castle or vice versa. In some places, 422 is only a single lane in each direction and it could get crowded, but it will be much shorter.

“There are other detours that people could take,” Colburn said. “Other routes people could take, and we would suggest people take them if they know them.”
Yeah...that is when you use the F out of Google Maps. You don't need to take that ridiculous detour unless you are a tractor trailer or something.

Here, for example, is a good route that won't likely be heavily traveled at all. No way in hell would I go anywhere near 422.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/40.6601 ... 69!1m0!3e0

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:34 am

big knob road, huh

it would have been funny if they did this the week of the browns game

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:13 am

big knob road, huh

it would have been funny if they did this the week of the browns game
When I traveled to Troy MI, my hotel was on Big Beaver Road.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:15 am

headed to CleveLand for a hockey tourney in mid-November. we went a few years ago and saw the Rock and Roll HoF, the Football Hof and Westside Market. we'll have some time to kill on Friday before we can check into our hotel. any suggestions on other things to do there?
Where are you staying?

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:30 am

headed to CleveLand for a hockey tourney in mid-November. we went a few years ago and saw the Rock and Roll HoF, the Football Hof and Westside Market. we'll have some time to kill on Friday before we can check into our hotel. any suggestions on other things to do there?
Where are you staying?
I had a great time going to a Lake Erie Monsters game a few years back. If they're in town, that's a solid option.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:07 pm

Welp, Mrs Tif sent all of our traveler information to the tour company and paid the deposit. And we got Lonely Planet books. I guess that makes it official.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:46 pm

Please watch the new Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary on PBS before you go.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:36 pm

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:42 pm

The change fees are extortion. While I haven’t personally paid any change fees, I see no reason to charge for them if outside of a certain window. Changing flights within 20 days or so? Okay, I could understand, though still think it’s high.

As for baggage fees, this is one reason why I will always have a Citi AAdvantage Platinum card open at all times - no fees for up to 4 bags on a reservation, and priority boarding.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm

I'm okay with bag fees. It actually makes sense. You bring a bag that weighs the plane down more and requires handling, you pay more. It's straight logic.

What I really want is them to actually enforce the carry on bag size, and if it doesn't fit in the box you're hit with a $1,000 fee you have to pay right then or you have to throw your bag out of the jetway. Bring it.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm

I've always wanted to go thanks to Anthony Bourdain.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm

I agree with dodint re bag fees, but only if the bag weighs over x pounds. I don't like it as a default position. But market research has shown that American consumers would rather pay a low ticket price that's offset by fees, than a higher ticket price that includes the fees in one transaction.

I get one free checked bag per for up to two travelers from the United card. Singapore Airlines does not charge baggage fees, so we got that going for us.

Oh, and according to Mrs Tif we won't need to worry about using miles to purchase intra-Asian travel, as airfare from SIN-HAN, HAN-DAD, and DAD-HAN is covered as part of our tour package.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:58 pm

I'm okay with bag fees. It actually makes sense. You bring a bag that weighs the plane down more and requires handling, you pay more. It's straight logic.

What I really want is them to actually enforce the carry on bag size, and if it doesn't fit in the box you're hit with a $1,000 fee you have to pay right then or you have to throw your bag out of the jetway. Bring it.
I’m more okay with overweight bag fees than straight up fees in general, but overall, not a huge deal anymore.

Carry on limits, however... huge pet peeve of mine. I have only ever seen a handful of agents actually check the bag size in the rack and force them to gate check it. I’ll take comment one step further - if your bag doesn’t fit, *I* get to be the one who throws it out of the jetway. Violently, and with extreme prejudice.

This issue is only second to the people who stand up long before boarding begins, blocking everyone. I would like to throw them down the jetway, too.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:18 pm

I'm guessing the museum/training grounds are at the same place that I'm climbing. I'll definitely add that to the list.

Moab was actually on the first things on my list, but that's gonna be a haul for me at almost 250 mi one way. If it was 250 mi round trip or if I was out there for a week, I'd probably make the trip. But that's about 4 hrs in the car one way.

Somebody I work with recommended Mt. Olympus. It's supposed to be one of the highest mountains in Utah and is the most visible in the area. But at over 9000 feet and a little bit of research, it looks like a moderate level of hiking and 7 miles long. I'm not sure if I'll be ready for that.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Thu Sep 21, 2017 9:47 am

Where are you staying?
some Aloft hotel not far from Gilmour Academy, where the games are. Northeast of the airport, I believe.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:32 am

https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USUT0196:1:US

good thing I'm not making that trek until next week. Friday is a high of 45 with rain, low of 27.

I'm not ready for that type of swing in temperature, especially with sunday being almost 90 degrees.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:38 am

I'll be at Disney World in less than one week, and am still unsure about how I feel about this 'vacation'.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:40 am

I'll be at Disney World in less than one week, and am still unsure about how I feel about this 'vacation'.
Got everything set? Dinner reservations, fast passes?

Silentom

Travel Thread

Postby Silentom » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:41 am

Disney World is tits. Go enjoy yourself, and quit dodinting.

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:42 am

Prozac?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:45 am

Yeah, I believe I've got 99% of it covered. I created reminders for all of our FastPass stuff and reservations, along with other reminders to book other FastPass stuff because of the 3-at-a-time limit. I normally love planning out stuff like this, but Disney is a whole new level of planning. I almost want to just wing everything (minus the dining reservations), thinking it'd be more enjoyable.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:48 am

Yeah, I believe I've got 99% of it covered. I created reminders for all of our FastPass stuff and reservations, along with other reminders to book other FastPass stuff because of the 3-at-a-time limit. I normally love planning out stuff like this, but Disney is a whole new level of planning. I almost want to just wing everything (minus the dining reservations), thinking it'd be more enjoyable.
Then you're set, man. Disney is NOT a place where you should wing anything. The up-front work is annoying, but it all pays off in spades once you're in the park. If you tried to wing fast passes, you would end up waiting in lines that you don't need to wait in. Everyone I've ever talked to who hated their Disney vacation hated it due to poor planning.

Also, take full advantage of Extra Magic Hours and be sure to get there at rope drop if possible.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:49 am

Source of the post I almost want to just wing everything (minus the dining reservations), thinking it'd be more enjoyable.
From our experience (two trips in the last 4 years to Disney), planning makes the best use of your time in the parks. You can see/do everything you need to do, and it is much more enjoyable once you get there. It sucks now, but it will be worth it once you get into the park.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:52 am

Good to know, thanks. And yes, we're definitely taking advantage of Extra Magic Hours (Epcot for our trip). We're all early risers, so I intend to be at the gates before they even open. My wife thinks we should try coming back for naps for our 4 year old, but I think I'd rather just forego that at first and see how it goes. She's already the worst napper ever.