Travel Thread

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:21 pm

I would never go to Disney without having a kid, personally.

Any decent restaurants in downtown Atlanta? Don’t care about any particular cuisine, but I’ll be there in May.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:47 pm

The Varsity

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:15 am

The Varsity
Man do I miss this pkace

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:16 am

Meehan’s Public House if you are downtown and want casual.

http://meehanspublichouse.com/location/downtown

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Thank you both - they're on my list. Fried pies at Varsity? That may be a multiple-trip location.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:36 am

Any decent restaurants in downtown Atlanta? Don’t care about any particular cuisine, but I’ll be there in May.
take the MARTA train North to the North Avenue station and instead of going west to the Varsity, go east to Mary Mac's Tea Room and git yerself some Pot Likker, fried chicken and fried green tomatoes. https://www.marymacs.com/

for a great burger hit up The Vortex: https://thevortexatl.com/

for Texas style BBQ, grab an Uber/Lyft to Fox Bros: http://www.foxbrosbbq.com/

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:45 am

we just returned from Anaheim and since we had a free day on Sunday we went to DisneyLand,well actually, Disney's California Adventure. fortunately one of our group is a master at working the Disney parks. we did a 1 day ticket with MaxPass. that got us several FastPasses for ride and all those Disney character pictures. to make it more entertaining for us the Disney Food and Wine Festival was also going on so there was special food available. my favorite was the Black Garlic Pork Belly Banh Mi.
between FastPasses and Single Rider lines I think the longest we waited for a ride was 20 minutes and we got pictures with all the major characters and quite a few minor ones as well.

I'm not a Disney person but was very interested in learning about and finding "hidden Mickeys" all over the park.

favorite rides were the Incredicoaster, Guardians of the Galaxy and Soarin'.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 am

we just returned from Anaheim and since we had a free day on Sunday we went to DisneyLand,well actually, Disney's California Adventure. fortunately one of our group is a master at working the Disney parks. we did a 1 day ticket with MaxPass. that got us several FastPasses for ride and all those Disney character pictures. to make it more entertaining for us the Disney Food and Wine Festival was also going on so there was special food available. my favorite was the Black Garlic Pork Belly Banh Mi.
between FastPasses and Single Rider lines I think the longest we waited for a ride was 20 minutes and we got pictures with all the major characters and quite a few minor ones as well.

I'm not a Disney person but was very interested in learning about and finding "hidden Mickeys" all over the park.

favorite rides were the Incredicoaster, Guardians of the Galaxy and Soarin'.
How exactly did the MaxPass work? I'm going to get this for our trip next month, but not 100% sure of it's functionality. Do you get to load multiple rides onto the app at once, or is it load one, scan it in line, then load up the next?

Also like the free download of pictures. If the FastPass alone was sufficient, I'd buy one MaxPass for the family, then FastPass at all the kiosks in the park. I'm thinking that may not work so well

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:16 pm

How exactly did the MaxPass work? I'm going to get this for our trip next month, but not 100% sure of it's functionality. Do you get to load multiple rides onto the app at once, or is it load one, scan it in line, then load up the next?

Also like the free download of pictures. If the FastPass alone was sufficient, I'd buy one MaxPass for the family, then FastPass at all the kiosks in the park. I'm thinking that may not work so well
Here’s what my Disney guru said:

So the Max pass substitutes for the fast pass at Disneyland. So in Disneyland you have to run to the fast pass kiosk in order to get a fast pass, but when you have Max pass you can do it all on your phone with that Disneyland app. This way if you are in for example cars land but you want to get a fast pass for toy story you don’t have to walk over to Toy story in order to reserve your spot or get a fast pass. You can just get the max pass or reserve your spot right over your phone. The other bonus is when fast pass tickets are out, they are done. But with max pass people will constantly be trading in their tickets if they don’t get to the ride in time So it increases your chance of getting a fast pass close to your time that you want.
When we had the max pass I was constantly checking my phone and there would be different times Available depending on who would be giving up their tickets. So when I went on the water ride, we were initially set to ride the ride at 5:30, but I kept checking my phone and was eventually able to get a 4:45 ride slot
The max pass is useless unless you get it for everyone who wants to go with the group. Because if you don’t have it for everyone, not everyone is going to be able to ride at the same time. It’s also going to help if you have everyone’s max pass all on the same account so that when you reserve the max pass you can just reserve everyone at once. If you have multiple parties and each one has their own max pass on their own phone the reservation time would never work out to be the same.
The max pass is technically supposed to be one max pass per person and then after you check in to that ride, you can then book the next max pass. However you can game the system a little bit. Sometimes if you don’t want to ride the max pass ride until about half an hour in to the start time of the fast pass you can actually book a second fast pass before going on the first fast pass ride. So for example If I’m going on the cars ride at 9 o’clock to 10 o’clock on a fast pass, at 9:30 if I still haven’t gone on the cars ride yet I can actually go ahead and book the next fast pass for after 10 o’clock.
One of the great benefits of max pass is that when you are on line for your fast pass (max pass) for one ride, you can go ahead and book a max pass For the next ride. So you don’t have to run to the kiosk afterwards to get the next fast pass.
To me, it’s totally worth it. Especially because it includes the photo pass for free. We were able to write a lot of fast pass rides In under 20 minutes, while much of the wait was 30 minutes to an hour and a half for each ride. I don’t think we waited more than 30 minutes for any ride all day because we had the max pass and utilized the single rider line.
This info is only for disney in Cali. It runs totally differently in FL.
Hope this helps!

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:59 pm

thanks shoeshine, that helps

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:44 pm

does anyone do the disney vacation club

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:27 am

@NTP66 remember the woman who was killed by an alligator in Sea Pines last year? Her husband is suing the resort over her death: https://www.wjcl.com/article/husband-of ... t/27098955

Kane

Travel Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:30 am

No, but we sat through the spiel for a free fast pass. It's worth it if you can afford it and will go all the time.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 am

@NTP66 remember the woman who was killed by an alligator in Sea Pines last year? Her husband is suing the resort over her death: https://www.wjcl.com/article/husband-of ... t/27098955
That's just absurd. It's awful that she died, but what could the resort have done here? Physically gotten in between her and the alligator?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:38 am

Anyone ever been to Harper's Ferry? Antietam National Battlefield? Any suggestions for that area? Food? Hiking?

LITT

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:53 am

No, but we sat through the spiel for a free fast pass. It's worth it if you can afford it and will go all the time.
all the time being annually?

Kane

Travel Thread

Postby Kane » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:01 am

all the time being annually?
Sure. It's a point system, so you could even go twice in one year and skip the next. I forget the exact details - it was 4 years ago. I do remember that it's something like a 40 year membership, but you can pay it off in like 10 years or something.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:46 pm

Anyone ever been to Harper's Ferry? Antietam National Battlefield? Any suggestions for that area? Food? Hiking?
The White Horse Tavern in HF is solid.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy, basically the headquarters for the AT, are located in Harpers Ferry. That's a very popular stop. The hike up to Jefferson Rock is worth it too.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:52 pm

The White Horse Tavern in HF is solid.

The Appalachian Trail Conservancy, basically the headquarters for the AT, are located in Harpers Ferry. That's a very popular stop. The hike up to Jefferson Rock is worth it too.
:thumb:

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:19 pm

We biked through on our Pittsburgh to DC tour. Didn't stop at Antietam, but heard from other bikers that it was worth the side trip. Harper's Ferry is a very cool place too. Lot's of history. The C&O canal trail crosses the Appalachian trail at Harper's Ferry, so plenty of hiking/biking to do there.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:47 pm

I need to get the fam up to Gettysburg...

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:05 pm

I need to get the fam up to Gettysburg...
We had an incredible experience last year which lead to the trip to HF and Antietam this year.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:18 pm

I read an article about a "last trip" with your kid before they go off to high school. For me, that would be next summer.

My son loves history, like his old man, so Gettysburg might be one place to start. Maybe up to NYC for shenanigans too.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:31 pm

I read an article about a "last trip" with your kid before they go off to high school. For me, that would be next summer.

My son loves history, like his old man, so Gettysburg might be one place to start. Maybe up to NYC for shenanigans too.
:thumb: We have NYC and Antietam for our family vacations this year. Looking forward to it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:42 pm

Driving home right now, and the good news is that the turnpike isn’t nearly as full as I expected it to be. The bad news is that the rain is getting pretty damn bad.