Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:23 am

Nice long list of PA overlooks pursuant to previous Hyner View discussion......

https://uncoveringpa.com/best-scenic-ov ... 43292XrpfI

Side note: Back in college a gf and I got, um, sidetracked into something and the car got locked in to Shickellamy State Park after dark. We had to go find a pay phone and her mom had to come pick us up. Fortunately she lived nearby. Good times.
Is that the one up where the East/West Susquehanna meets?

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:47 am

Side note: Back in college a gf and I got, um, sidetracked into something and the car got locked in to Shickellamy State Park after dark. We had to go find a pay phone and her mom had to come pick us up. Fortunately she lived nearby. Good times.
Great list, thanks. We are heading back up to Cherry springs for the last of the milky way and hopefully some northern lights action in a couple weeks. Definitely stopping at Hyner again to see it in the fall.

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:24 am

Is that the one up where the East/West Susquehanna meets?
It is.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:31 am

Just booked HHI for Thanksgiving Week. Finally caved - we haven't been away from home/work/school for more than a few hours since late January.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:28 pm

This thread has (understandably) been quiet.

Our family (Molly the goldendoodle included) are headed up to Jim Thorpe area for the weekend. We rented an Airbnb cabin in the woods about 20 minutes outside the town. Will be so nice to get away from it all for a couple days.

@eddy Have you ever been?

PFiDC

Travel Thread

Postby PFiDC » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:30 pm

The second we're allowed to leave the country again I'm buying a week in Jamaica at a resort.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:41 pm

This thread has (understandably) been quiet.

Our family (Molly the goldendoodle included) are headed up to Jim Thorpe area for the weekend. We rented an Airbnb cabin in the woods about 20 minutes outside the town. Will be so nice to get away from it all for a couple days.

@eddy Have you ever been?
Have not, but every year we travel somewhere relatively close with another family and it's between Jim Thorpe and Cooperstown for the next trip. Although I've been doing a lot of reading on Letchworth state park in NY and that sounds delightful as well.

We have a lodge around Cherry springs next week, so I'm looking forward to sitting next to a fire and laying on a blow-up mattress and staring at the sky for a few days.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:16 pm

Moved our trip to Aruba from September to December. Southwest has now canceled our flights again, putting the trip in jeopardy.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Oct 13, 2020 1:55 pm

Friends of ours own an AirBnB house up at Big Bear. Been continuously rented out every weekend and about 30% of weekdays during this whole thing.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:03 am

Friends of ours own an AirBnB house up at Big Bear. Been continuously rented out every weekend and about 30% of weekdays during this whole thing.
If you would have told my wife 13 years ago that she would want to be out in the sticks in a remote mountain home more than the beach or the city, she would laugh in your face. I've pretty much completely converted my wife to loving that life.

Down the road when the kids are older and we are able to hopefully buy a second home, we will definitely be looking up in the mountains of Northern/Central PA.

mac5155

Travel Thread

Postby mac5155 » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:35 am

Moved our trip to Aruba from September to December. Southwest has now canceled our flights again, putting the trip in jeopardy.
Since united pulled similar shenanigans sending me from Pittsburgh to Aruba thru Houston (and not Atlanta) I was able to coax them into a full refund so now we are round trip on SWST and have used the refund on United to stay an extra day :lol:

All in all, if we can actually make this trip happen... I'll be ecstatic.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Oct 15, 2020 8:05 am

I deposited our Maui weeks in late summer with Interval International, and setup a search for next summer and beyond. Well, one of them matched, and I have 24 hours to either keep the unit for late the week of July 4, or return it and let the search continue. I'm just not confident of being able to take a trip next summer given how everything is going.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:33 pm

This has been our first time going to OBX this late in the year, and it has been fantastic. Upper 60s and 70s and the water has been swimmable all week.

We have our family trip scheduled for the usual time next August, but we decided to come down for another week in early May (off-season prices ftw). This is also our first time staying on Hatteras Island (Salvo) and it's a great change of pace from Nags Head.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:19 pm

My favorite part of that section of the OBX is that even in the middle of the summer, it's pretty desolate. Not a lot to do other than fish, swim, and stuff like that.

I can't remember if you've been to Ocracoke Island or not - but that's worth a day trip down there. Howard's Pub should be open, and there are the wild horses to check out. Plus, a cool British Cemetery where sailors from a U-boat sinking are buried. Plus, Blackbeard was killed there!

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:21 pm

My favorite part of that section of the OBX is that even in the middle of the summer, it's pretty desolate. Not a lot to do other than fish, swim, and stuff like that.

I can't remember if you've been to Ocracoke Island or not - but that's worth a day trip down there. Howard's Pub should be open, and there are the wild horses to check out. Plus, a cool British Cemetery where sailors from a U-boat sinking are buried. Plus, Blackbeard was killed there!
:thumb:

We were down by the Ocracoke Ferry today... Definitely going to head down there next year.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:35 pm

WDW ending Magical Express bus from MCO to the parks in 2022. Extra Magic Hours are also not returning and instead guests can enter parks 30 minutes early.
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/ ... ld-resort/

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:00 pm

Noticed our local travel agency closed permanently. Travel agencies were becoming obsolete anyway but I’m sure COVID did them in. Kind of sad.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jan 11, 2021 5:02 pm

I’m surprised that the Internet didn’t kill them off sooner.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:22 am

Noticed our local travel agency closed permanently. Travel agencies were becoming obsolete anyway but I’m sure COVID did them in. Kind of sad.
most travel agencies around here have just become cruise brokers.
I miss the days of going over to my local AAA and having them do a TripTik for me.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:03 am

My parents still have their OG trip tik for going to Ocean city. We went there every summer and every time on the trip down I studied the hell out of the trip tik.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Travel Thread

Postby LITT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:18 pm

I’m surprised that the Internet didn’t kill them off sooner.
I used to think this until we used one for our honeymoon and now use to book any travel. It really is a game changer and could not recommend it more

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:25 pm

AAA Travel did all of the reservations for our honeymoon back in 2003. Really easy to work with, and was cheaper than dealing directly. Got upgrades for no cost as well. Not sure I'd use one today though.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:35 pm

My parents still have their OG trip tik for going to Ocean city. We went there every summer and every time on the trip down I studied the hell out of the trip tik.
When I was a young kid, I LOVED maps. Hell, I still have one of those big Rand McNally Road Atlases that I enjoy opening up now and then. I used to draw interchanges, road maps, etc. on paper on long trips. Even today I am kind of a road dork, when we were out in Salt Lake I was taking photos of the highway signs with Las Vegas/Cheyenne on them.

Apparently it is a thing. You can actually go down some deep Wikipedia rabbit holes about state routes, U.S. routes, interstates, parkways, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roadgeek

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:04 am

SC DOT is taking the road over, so no more tolls. I didn't think that was possible lol.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:07 am

SC DOT is taking the road over, so no more tolls. I didn't think that was possible lol.

That's very surprising.