Travel Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:05 am

So I'm heading to Milan, Italy in June for work(humblebrag...), and I just grabbed my passport to find out when it expires. Not til 2025, so I'm good there, but the picture is me 100 lbs ago (another humblebrag). Do I need to get it renewed? I think you can still tell it's me, and my drivers license is from October and has the skinnier me pictured there. I'd rather not have to go through the renewal process, but I'd also rather not get stuck somewhere because of the old photo.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:38 pm

I'd get it renewed. You don't want to arrive at MXP and be at the whim of a dopey passport control agent.

When we we to Barcelona a few years ago they were in the process of turning Mrs Tif away at Frankfurt airport because her passport expiration date was with the 90-day window sporadically enforced in the EU. We escalated to a 'manager' who determined the 87 days remaining on her passport was sufficient. Plus, you're far enough out that you wouldn't need to expedite the renewal.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:13 am

So I'm heading to Milan, Italy in June for work(humblebrag...),
nice! we went about 3 years ago. we had some friends who were living there for awhile. which airline are you flying and are you visiting any other cities in Italy?

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:16 am

I've always wanted to visit Milan, if only to catch an AC Milan match, but have been told that there's not a ton to do in that area.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 am

Source of the post Red's Ice House (Mt. Pleasant),
kids are big fans of their food served on a frisbee.

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:49 am

r/WeWantPlates

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:51 am

r/WeWantPlates
There are some terrific "wtf is this in front of me" pics in that sub.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:52 am

Source of the post Red's Ice House (Mt. Pleasant),
kids are big fans of their food served on a frisbee.
They do this at Over the Bar Bicycle Cafe as well. Big hit with the little ones

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:22 am

So I'm heading to Milan, Italy in June for work(humblebrag...),
nice! we went about 3 years ago. we had some friends who were living there for awhile. which airline are you flying and are you visiting any other cities in Italy?
I'm still working with our German office to figure out what the plan is. They don't get us over there very often, so they tend to make our trips a couple weeks and visit as many customers as possible. At the moment, the plan is just Milan.

No clue on which airline... whichever is cheapest. I'd imagine out of JFK as they have direct flights, but I might start in Frankfurt and eventually get to Milan.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:21 am

so there's a very small chance I'll be in Buffalo on Thursday.

Aside from the US side of the Falls and probably grabbing tickets for the Sabres' finale for under $25, what else is there to do?

blackjack68

Travel Thread

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:26 am

Get wings

iamjs

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:31 am

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:45 pm

Aside from the US side of the Falls and probably grabbing tickets for the Sabres' finale for under $25, what else is there to do?
Do you have a passport? If so, the Niagara Parkway on the other side is a nice, quick drive.

You've gotta go to Ted's! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _York.html

Also, if you are a history buff, the site where Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated (after the assassination of McKinley) is a really cool stop.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:33 pm

Frozen four is the next week, isn't it? That blows...

In that case...Club Marcella.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:40 pm

I'm still working with our German office to figure out what the plan is. They don't get us over there very often, so they tend to make our trips a couple weeks and visit as many customers as possible. At the moment, the plan is just Milan.

No clue on which airline... whichever is cheapest. I'd imagine out of JFK as they have direct flights, but I might start in Frankfurt and eventually get to Milan.
if you can swing it I HIGHLY recommend Emirates. they have good deals from JFK to Milan fairly often and their coach is as nice as most carriers First Class. we flew over in a 500 passenger capacity Airbus A380 and it sounds like a silly thing but I was very impressed with how quickly they loaded 500 people onto that plane. the warm, lemon scented towels just after take off and right before landing were nice and the food was actually good! :scared:

iamjs

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:11 pm

Do you have a passport? If so, the Niagara Parkway on the other side is a nice, quick drive.
I don't. I keep meaning to get a NEXUS card, which would at least get me across the border.
You've gotta go to Ted's! https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... _York.html

Also, if you are a history buff, the site where Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated (after the assassination of McKinley) is a really cool stop.
Both are added to the list.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:37 am

Disney World announced a "Villains Unite the Night" event this summer. It will be similar to getting a separate ticket for the Halloween party.

Setting aside the fact that $139/ticket for a nighttime add-on is insane to me, the lack of villain character meets kind of takes the wind out of this one. Yay, you can pay $139 per person to spend more money on special themed merchandise!
The well-known villains are being incorporated into the special event, available on select nights between June 6 and Aug. 8. Among the extras: a brand-new Disney stage show called “Villains Unite the Night.”

The new production, set to happen near the base of Cinderella Castle, will feature Hades and Meg from “Hercules” as well as Maleficent, The Queen, Jafar and Dr. Facilier.

For the first time, Maleficent the Dragon, usually seen during the afternoon Festival of Fantasy parade, will make the rounds at night.

Disney also says there will be villains-inspired enhancements at Pirates of the Caribbean and Space Mountain attractions plus themed food, beverage and merchandise during After Hours.

A post on the official Disney Parks Blog notes that there will be no character meet and greets during the event.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 am

Source of the post Setting aside the fact that $139/ticket for a nighttime add-on is insane to me, the lack of villain character meets kind of takes the wind out of this one. Yay, you can pay $139 per person to spend more money on special themed merchandise!
That's why we passed on the trick or treat thing when we went over October. Sure it sounds fun until you realize it's going to cost $500 to get Mickey to drop a **** candy bar in a plastic bag

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:57 am

So this is basically the ticketed After Hours event with a few additional villain themed things. And let me tell you, After Hours is well worth the cost, especially if you have limited time at the parks. We bought After Hours during our last trip in July and literally every ride in Magic Kingdom was a walk on except 7 Dwarfs Mine Train which was a 10 minute wait. We didn't bother with the free snacks since the snack kiosks had longer lines than the rides. There were so few people in the park that we found ourselves walking through Adventureland with NOBODY around us, not even cast members. We rode Splash Mountain in a log by ourselves and when we made it back to the station, the cast members asked if we wanted to go again since nobody else was waiting to ride. And walking down a near empty Main Street was truly "magical" for lack of a better word. It also helped that we just got engaged a few hours earlier so we were riding that high too.

If you have the means, I can't recommend it enough.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:29 pm

So this is basically the ticketed After Hours event with a few additional villain themed things. And let me tell you, After Hours is well worth the cost, especially if you have limited time at the parks. We bought After Hours during our last trip in July and literally every ride in Magic Kingdom was a walk on except 7 Dwarfs Mine Train which was a 10 minute wait. We didn't bother with the free snacks since the snack kiosks had longer lines than the rides. There were so few people in the park that we found ourselves walking through Adventureland with NOBODY around us, not even cast members. We rode Splash Mountain in a log by ourselves and when we made it back to the station, the cast members asked if we wanted to go again since nobody else was waiting to ride. And walking down a near empty Main Street was truly "magical" for lack of a better word. It also helped that we just got engaged a few hours earlier so we were riding that high too.

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (we've been to it twice). That said, does that technically count as an "After Hours" event? I ask because while the lines were considerably shorter, it still felt crowded.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:45 pm

Don't get me wrong. I really liked the Not-So-Scary Halloween Party (we've been to it twice). That said, does that technically count as an "After Hours" event? I ask because while the lines were considerably shorter, it still felt crowded.
The Halloween party will be more crowded because of the extra entertainment and more family-friendly hours. The After Hours event we attended was 10 pm - 1 am so most families were out of there right at park close (10 pm). The villains night will likely be more crowded than the generic "after hours" but I doubt it will be as crazy as Mickey's Not So Scary.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:58 pm

Gotcha. Yeah, come to think of it we have never truly gone to an "After Hours" event. No way we were keeping a child under 5 out that late, although I'm sure there are plenty of shtbag parents that do.

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:42 pm

Gotcha. Yeah, come to think of it we have never truly gone to an "After Hours" event. No way we were keeping a child under 5 out that late, although I'm sure there are plenty of shtbag parents that do.
I betcha they’re minority parents too.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Woof...

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Apr 03, 2019 3:35 pm

Minorities in shaf's Happiest Place on Earth? k.