Travel Thread

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:59 pm

mimh is correct (yes this felt weird to say)

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:21 pm

I'm taking my 10 year old to the game on Sunday for the Jagr ceremony. I think we're going to stop at the Flight 93 memorial on the way back Monday morning. I've never been and have been meaning to for a while. Will also give us 2.5 hours in the car to decompress/talk about it with her before we get home.
My youngest couldn't read yet when we went, so I had to read the signs. I barely made it. It's always going to be a raw nerve.
We timed it so we got there right around 9. Beautiful memorial... And yes, extremely emotional. Can't believe it's been so long.

Even moreso being the only ones there, the quiet down by the crash site...whew.

Kaiser

Travel Thread

Postby Kaiser » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:55 pm

Don't venture south of Seattle proper, there is nothing of note unless you're going to Quinault or Mt. Rainier. Have a breakfast at Biscuit B!tch. Don't leave anything visibly valuable in your car. Stop by Sosio's in pike place and get yourself an OMG peach.
Appreciated. The only time we’ll be south of downtown is our last night when we’ll stay at the Hilton near the airport. I like to do that to save on a day of rental car.
You'll be close to Sharp's Roasthouse that night. :thumb:

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:19 pm

I'm taking my 10 year old to the game on Sunday for the Jagr ceremony. I think we're going to stop at the Flight 93 memorial on the way back Monday morning. I've never been and have been meaning to for a while. Will also give us 2.5 hours in the car to decompress/talk about it with her before we get home.
My youngest couldn't read yet when we went, so I had to read the signs. I barely made it. It's always going to be a raw nerve.
We timed it so we got there right around 9. Beautiful memorial... And yes, extremely emotional. Can't believe it's been so long.

Even moreso being the only ones there, the quiet down by the crash site...whew.
Their ability to put down that much structure as a monument and maintain that tranquility. It's exceptional.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:00 pm

Should we Uber over for dinner?

Edit: scratch that, we could walk. :lol:

Kaiser

Travel Thread

Postby Kaiser » Mon Feb 19, 2024 11:39 pm

Should we Uber over for dinner?

Edit: scratch that, we could walk. :lol:
Yes.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Sat Feb 24, 2024 5:16 pm

Greece recommendations/tips? Just booked flights for a late June trip. Planning on spending a few nights each in Athens, Mykonos, Naxos, Paros, and Santorini.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:11 pm

Flight to Philly was much smoother today. Had a 2.5 hour layover and everything was on time. Got to walk from F to A, then back to F, then back to A just to get some nervous energy out. Currently having a $20 airport beer on the company’s dime. All is good. San Diego here I come.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:18 pm

Co-worker friend wanted to have their wedding in Mykonos, and spent close to a year in planning. Yet they somehow didn't learn that non-citizen marriages in Mykonos were not legally valid outside of Mykonos until the week before their trip. So they had to have an impromptu justice of the peace ceremony the day before they left; they had their wedding after they got married.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:24 pm

I am well aware this does not help at all, but I wanted to pass the story along:

My manager has a college buddy that he’s still in touch with who was from Greece. Made a fantastic living and bought two huge villas on one of the islands. My boss has an open invitation to go and stay there whenever he wants. His kids are out of the house. He’s nearing retirement, and he’s never taken the dude up on the offer and it pisses me off. Like, my guy… GO!

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:09 pm

Checked my flights for this summer's vacation this morning to see that the first leg outbound flight changed, and my wife's seat was moved. My seat was non-existent, as it showed the entire plan full. Called AA and they were able to put us back into MCE, albeit on the other side of the aircraft. That works. This is precisely why I a) loathe that the airlines can do this and are not required to notify you, and b) check my flights every Monday.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:19 pm

That feels like Seinfeld's reservation rant. Anyone can just take *gestures towards the air* your ticket money; actually having a seat in exchange for that is kind of the important part.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:31 am

Going to be staying in Savannah for a few days, anyone have any recommendations for anything down there?

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:47 am

The Bonaventure Cemetery is a great walk, whether you're a fan of Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil or not.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:51 am

I don't know if you have a car or not, but the Eighth Air Force Museum is in nearby Pooler, GA. Worth a few hours imo. Fort Pulaski is cool as well.

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:15 am

These are great, thanks!

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:30 am

Going to be staying in Savannah for a few days, anyone have any recommendations for anything down there?
eat at Mrs Wilkes Dining Room

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 am

eat at Mrs Wilkes Dining Room
That is a 3 minute walk from our house. Done. Thanks

dodint

Travel Thread

Postby dodint » Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:40 am

Paula Deen's The Lady and Sons restaurant was surprisingly good. How often do you get to take an elevator to a buffet when you're not on a cruise ship? I'm not recommending it, per se, as you can probably find 10 other local places that are more kitchy. Just saying you shouldn't dismiss it automatically just because it's a 'celebrity chef' place.

CBear3

Travel Thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 10:28 am

@tifosi77 and other past/present west coasters:
Thinking of spending Easter in LA. Kids (preteens) want to go out west and want to chill on the beach. Thinking Malibu area (Zuma, El Matador, Leo, etc). Hike around Santa Monica mountain in the morning.

Thoughts? Pitfalls? Preferences?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 12:58 pm

Where are you thinking of staying?

Note that with the rains and surf being heavier than normal PCH in Ventura County is partly washed out, and the traffic backup is bleeding all the way down to the 'Bu. It's supposed to be fixed by the time you get here, but if that bit washed out once, it can wash out again.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:36 pm

solid recommend! my SO loved the sourdough pasta. :thumb:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:41 pm

We ate at the Treylor park on Bay Street and it was pretty good.

Forsyth park is genuinely cool. Those bigass old trees gave me kennywood vibes.

count2infinity

Travel Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:56 pm

You're doing yourself a disservice if you don't stop here for a drink at some point:

https://theoriginalpinkies.com/

It's a really neat place.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:00 pm

second Mrs Wilkes. line up early, like 10:30AM.
Tybee is great is you want a beach day. eat at the Crab Shack when you're done. tell the cats I said "pssp! pssp!"
lots of fun ghost tours. we did one that started at The Pirates House.
also had a fantastic meal at Olde Pink House: https://www.theoldepinkhouserestaurant.com/
one of the best steak au poivre that I've ever had.