Travel Thread

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:26 pm

So this good or nah?
Remains to be seen. Both airlines currently concentrate more on the east coast, so there will be some overlap in routes and bases that might lead to job losses. JetBlue has more of a presence on the west coast, but neither airline operates much in the midwest at all (no flights anywhere in the Dakotas, Oklahoma, or Wyoming, for example). Overlapping east-coast routes would lead to opportunities to employ aircraft elsewhere, however, and I think we would see moves further west to establish new bases or focus cities. JetBlue brings flights to the UK to the table, and maybe more European flights in the future as the Airbus A321LR and A321XLR jets on order get delivered. Spirit brings more of a presence for "vacation" destinations in Central America, South America, and the Caribbean to the table. Both Spirit and JetBlue operate mostly Airbus fleets, so fleet integration shouldn't be much of a problem. Both airlines have quite a few new Airbus aircraft on order, and by 2025 or so the combined airline could be something like the sixth largest airline in the world by fleet size.

I see the combined JetBlue turning into much more of a competitor for Southwest, in particular: a low-cost carrier that offers a nationwide network.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:29 pm

I wish you could (still?) go to the airport and get the cheapest ticket going out next to a random location...

I picked up some cheapo last minute tix to one of the three cheapest places for the weekend. So me and the lady are headed to...Nashville. I have been, she has not. She doesn't know where we're going. And I also plan on sitting at the wrong gate until our flight to continue to mislead her. She'll invariably find out on the plane, but I'm keeping it a secret as long as possible...

Got some art stuff, a spa morning, a booze cruise all lined up already...anything that's really can't miss down there...?

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:35 pm

Go to Monell's for breakfast. It's family style and you'll sit with some randos but it was one of the best I've had

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:44 pm

My last trip two weekends ago had the best breakfast on earth - Eggspectation in Montreal. Let's see if this place can top it... :thumb:

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:33 am

My last trip two weekends ago had the best breakfast on earth - Eggspectation in Montreal. Let's see if this place can top it... :thumb:
A. I also ate ate expectation when I was in Montreal a few years back, and it was indeed good enough that my gf still brings it up when we talk about travel or breakfast

B. Eggspectation is a chain and there are some in the states
C. Montreal is awesome and I want to go back

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:48 am

That's all correct. Me and the girl actually went twice on my last trip up there. And that's even after they threw away half my food (I wasn't liable to finish it anyhow, but still) when I got up went to the bathroom haha

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:55 am

Eggslut is some good stuff too if we're talking breakfast spots that have egg in the name

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:44 am

Montreal is full of Couche-Tards. Quebec is where it's at

MrKennethTKangaroo

Travel Thread

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:49 am

Montreal is full of Couche-Tards. Quebec is where it's at
personally i loved the gas stations with the beaver logo

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:50 am

We also love Chez Cora in Canada. It inspired my now semi famous raspberry crepe recipe that had one of my kid’s friends saying “Mr Franchise I don’t care if your son is home, let me know the next time you make these and I’ll be over for breakfast.”

I forget what the brewpub I liked is up there. Unibroue is great too.

Mikey made the tactical mistake of asking opinions on Smashville but then mentioning Montreal.

Other than go to the Opry even if not a country fan because ‘Murica I don’t have a lot to offer there.

mikey

Travel Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:59 am

I made no mistake. I was just cluing yous in as to why I won't be able to immediately provide thoughts about the Marcus Pettersson trade this weekend...

These are both places I have already been multiple times. #NotABigDeal

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 am

I forget what the brewpub I liked is up there. Unibroue is great too.
We found a lot of good Quebec style beers while we were up there. Unibroue is always a good one, but there were quite a few I'd never heard of that we partook in. First thing we did when we got to QC is grab a pizza, local brews, and poutine. I was in a food coma.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:11 pm

you must love Texas then.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Travel Thread

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:11 pm

Is Busy Beaver your favorite hardware store?

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:26 pm

RonnieFranchise

Travel Thread

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:36 pm

So this good or nah?
I get that it will probably be somewhere in between but my question is will the merged product be more JetBlue or Spirit?

I’d fly JetBlue everywhere if it made sense to do so from PIT, but last I checked they only go to BOS and maybe FLL. Not great for connections from here. Hopefully this doesn’t wipe an airline with good service for cattle cars.

Midwest used to be my favorite airline. They merged with Frontier (Republic) in 2010 and soon were gone from the face of the earth.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:38 pm

Judging by the wording "JetBlue & Spirit Airlines will come together to create a bigger, better JetBlue," my assumption is Spirit will be going away and all of the livery will be changed to JetBlue. Kinda like when US Airways was acquired by American.

Shyster

Travel Thread

Postby Shyster » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:11 pm

Judging by the wording "JetBlue & Spirit Airlines will come together to create a bigger, better JetBlue," my assumption is Spirit will be going away and all of the livery will be changed to JetBlue. Kinda like when US Airways was acquired by American.
That is my understanding.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Travel Thread

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:24 pm

Spirit holds a special place in my heart because they're the only airline that's had to pay me $1000 straight cash homey for overbooking a flight that I couldn't get on

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Sat Jul 30, 2022 11:41 pm

Vacation just goes way to effin fast.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:45 am

Re: Hershey Park - They need to add a 'checkout' option for their locker rentals. Since Beachwalk was closed until 11am, by the time we got over there, all of the large lockers were rented, so we had to rent multiple small lockers. The problem is that they don't give you the ability to 'checkout' so that it frees up the locker for somebody else.

In other news, I think we're finally going to do the PA Renaissance Faire this year. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but do recall enjoying it.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:50 am

Wife must have been vacation hungry when we got home, she wants to go spend a week in Florida next week on the gulf coast. Don't have to tell me twice.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Travel Thread

Postby iamjs » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:25 am

you must love Texas then.

**** yeah.

I'm kinda ashamed - but not really - about how much money I spend if I get near a Buc-ee's. I grabbed a 24 can cooler bag from the one in Kentucky last week and it was only $20. Just as I'm leaving, my sister calls and asks where I am. She knew I was out of town on a road trip, but had no idea where I was. So I sent a pic of the cooler bag, which turned into "can you pick me up a few things?" Overbites? Bought those. Brisket sandwiches? Bought two of those. There was also a shirt purchase and I'm sure some other stuff that I'm drawing a blank on right now. Long story short, That stop turned into a $120 visit.

Or if you want to hear Ryan Whitney's version of what a Buc-ee's is like:

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:37 am

I actually got to the SC location last week, as it's halfway-ish between where we live now and where we moved from. My son was staying with a friend from "old" home, so we met for dropoff at Buc-ee's. You really have to see/experience it to get it. Also, a terrible place to try to meet up with someone lol.

If I had been by myself, I would've left with $100 of food, but my wife was there so I had to behave myself.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:18 pm

Re: Hershey Park - They need to add a 'checkout' option for their locker rentals. Since Beachwalk was closed until 11am, by the time we got over there, all of the large lockers were rented, so we had to rent multiple small lockers. The problem is that they don't give you the ability to 'checkout' so that it frees up the locker for somebody else.

In other news, I think we're finally going to do the PA Renaissance Faire this year. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but do recall enjoying it.
Yeah, the locker situation there can be a nightmare when it is busy.