Travel Thread

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Travel Thread

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Tue May 26, 2015 9:58 am

You could hang out at the depressing Town Center Mall, float on some debris down the Kanawha River, score some drugs in the West End, or sit at the Sunrise Museum, look down at the city, and think "Good Lord what a wasted opportunity".

Oh, that Charleston...

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:07 am

As for Charleston, stay away from Hyman's Seafood. Legendary tourist trap. Try Hank's, right around the corner.

Not sure how old your kids are, but underneath the Ravenel Bridge in Mount Pleasant, there is a great playground and pier. Plus, it's shaded by the bridge and right on the harbor. And free. My 6 and 9 year old boys love it (although the 9 year old not as much as he used to).

I would check out the U.S.S. Yorktown/Patriot's Point Naval Museum. You can also take the Fort Sumter boat from there as well. I actually camped out on the Yorktown a few months ago, and it was a lot of fun. I'm a big WWII history nut, so it's perfect for me.

Middleton Plantation is also nice, although you're a few months late for the azaleas. :lol:

I prefer Sullivan's Island for Charleston area beaches, however younguns like Folly Beach (which is further away and subject to hellish traffic). Sullivan's Island has beach access paths, no facilities, but very close to downtown. Kiawah/Seabrook Beachwalker has a great county park - restroom facilities, snack bar, lifeguards - but is an hour away. Beautiful though.

I moved from Charleston in 2007, but still have family down there, but my best restaurants/activities suggestions are a bit dated. Charleston has become a foodie destination, and with that comes a lot of turnover in the restaurant industry.

And we spend most of our time with my parents in Mt. Pleasant, so my downtown cred is pretty low these days. :lol:

eddy

Travel Thread

Postby eddy » Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 am

kids are 3,6,7 and we are staying with family in Mt Pleasant. Thanks for the heads up.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:20 am

We've got a pretty big summer travel schedule lined up.

We got back from two days at Legoland Florida. This is our second trip there, but first stay at the new Legoland Resort Hotel. It was really cool, but expensive. I'm not sure the added Lego amenities were worth the additional cost (for my kids, aged 6 and 9). Don't get me wrong, they loved the hotel and the park, but we could stay at another hotel, without the Lego adornment for a lot less money.

It's located about a half a dozen exits south of Disneyworld on I-4 in Winter Haven, FL. Lots of kidcentric roller coasters, rides, and of course, Lego builds. A whole Star Wars miniland. Different Florida cities and tourist attractions recreated with Lego. Lego building classes, a water park, and a pretty cool botanical garden (left over from the old Cypress Gardens park). Definitely worth the trip if you're in the area, and discounted tickets are available. My kids didn't want to leave, of course.

I've got a conference that will take me out to San Francisco later this summer, and I'm taking the whole family. The kids don't know about it yet, so that will be exciting. My oldest son has been reading a book about Alcatraz, so we're definitely heading there and to a Giants game. And Muir National Forest, to see "Endor."

At the end of the summer, we're probably heading up to Canada to visit my in-laws, who are visiting from Sweden. They moved to France and then Sweden, and come back to Ontario to visit friends and relatives. It's a 14 hour drive, but I usually stop in Pittsburgh. Some years we go to a Pirates game, but my mother-in-law will be with us, and probably won't want to pony up for a ticket.

We're doing VRBO (an airbnb-like company) in San Francisco and Toronto - both were significantly cheaper than hotel rooms and located right where we want to stay. We've done beach weekends like this, but never long-ish stays. Anyone else have experiences with rentals by owners?

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 26, 2015 10:26 am

Source of the post kids are 3,6,7 and we are staying with family in Mt Pleasant. Thanks for the heads up.
Oh yeah, they'll love the park/pier then.

Since you're in Mt. Pleasant, I'll give you some names of places to try:

The Shelter Kitchen and Bar: http://www.theshelterkitchenandbar.com/
Despite the "bar" in the name, it is family friendly. Great Sunday brunch and bloody mary bar...nom nom.

Bricco Bracco - I don't get to eat good Italian food very often, so I use Jedi mind tricks to get my parents to take us here: http://italiano.briccobracco.net/ Kid friendly, great kid's menu.

Coleman Public House has great beer on tap and one of the best burgers I've ever had: http://www.colemanpublichouse.com/

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Tue May 26, 2015 10:31 am

The swamp part of Magnolia plantation is really excellent.

mikeenike

Travel Thread

Postby mikeenike » Tue May 26, 2015 10:52 am

I guess moving isn't really considered travel, but just recently moved to Zurich, Switzerland which should further increase the amount I travel, excited for that. If anyone's visiting Switzerland, UK, Ireland, Barcelona, Budapest and some other random Euro places give me a heads up and I'll see if I can give you any useful info.

As for Zurich, kind of the quiet town version of a relatively big city. Lots of stuff to see, awesome historical landmarks, easy travel to amazing sights and skiing. Pretty awesome place to be I must say.

Oh, and high functioning public transit, amazing.

ExPatriatePen

Travel Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 am

I guess moving isn't really considered travel, but just recently moved to Zurich, Switzerland which should further increase the amount I travel, excited for that. If anyone's visiting Switzerland, UK, Ireland, Barcelona, Budapest and some other random Euro places give me a heads up and I'll see if I can give you any useful info.

As for Zurich, kind of the quiet town version of a relatively big city. Lots of stuff to see, awesome historical landmarks, easy travel to amazing sights and skiing. Pretty awesome place to be I must say.

Oh, and high functioning public transit, amazing.
Mikeenike, did you move for a new job? I'm jealous!

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 am

And quite expensive. My favorite memory of Zürich: the nice lady in the coffee shop not charging anything for my capuccino because I had no francs and she was too lazy (?) to do the conversion to Euros.

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Tue May 26, 2015 11:04 am

She didn't want your stinkin' Euros, perhaps.

columbia

Travel Thread

Postby columbia » Tue May 26, 2015 11:07 am

@eddysnake

Also consider seeing this:
http://www.angeloaktree.com/

Gaucho

Travel Thread

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 26, 2015 11:15 am

She didn't want your stinkin' Euros, perhaps.
I have a different theory.

mikeenike

Travel Thread

Postby mikeenike » Tue May 26, 2015 11:19 am

Source of the post Mikeenike, did you move for a new job? I'm jealous!
Yea sure did. Just recently as well so still settling in.
Source of the post And quite expensive. My favorite memory of Zürich: the nice lady in the coffee shop not charging anything for my capuccino because I had no francs and she was too lazy (?) to do the conversion to Euros.
Absurdly expensive :) Maybe I'll offer to pay in Euros everywhere and see what happens. :pop:

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 26, 2015 11:22 am

I echo all of the Charleston recommendations so far. I would definitely add Home Team BBQ to the restaurant list. It's two blocks from the beach on Sullivan's Island. Extremely good BBQ. Across the street is Poe's Tavern, which is supposed to be fantastic as well but the place is always packed and we never managed to get it.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 26, 2015 11:45 am

anybody ever flown Emirates Air? I found a deal of $700 from JFK to Milan for my fall trip to Italy. google research on that airline looks good but I'd like some first-hand accounts.

Nuge

Travel Thread

Postby Nuge » Tue May 26, 2015 12:04 pm

We've got a pretty big summer travel schedule lined up.

We got back from two days at Legoland Florida. This is our second trip there, but first stay at the new Legoland Resort Hotel. It was really cool, but expensive. I'm not sure the added Lego amenities were worth the additional cost (for my kids, aged 6 and 9). Don't get me wrong, they loved the hotel and the park, but we could stay at another hotel, without the Lego adornment for a lot less money.

It's located about a half a dozen exits south of Disneyworld on I-4 in Winter Haven, FL. Lots of kidcentric roller coasters, rides, and of course, Lego builds. A whole Star Wars miniland. Different Florida cities and tourist attractions recreated with Lego. Lego building classes, a water park, and a pretty cool botanical garden (left over from the old Cypress Gardens park). Definitely worth the trip if you're in the area, and discounted tickets are available. My kids didn't want to leave, of course.

I've got a conference that will take me out to San Francisco later this summer, and I'm taking the whole family. The kids don't know about it yet, so that will be exciting. My oldest son has been reading a book about Alcatraz, so we're definitely heading there and to a Giants game. And Muir National Forest, to see "Endor."

At the end of the summer, we're probably heading up to Canada to visit my in-laws, who are visiting from Sweden. They moved to France and then Sweden, and come back to Ontario to visit friends and relatives. It's a 14 hour drive, but I usually stop in Pittsburgh. Some years we go to a Pirates game, but my mother-in-law will be with us, and probably won't want to pony up for a ticket.

We're doing VRBO (an airbnb-like company) in San Francisco and Toronto - both were significantly cheaper than hotel rooms and located right where we want to stay. We've done beach weekends like this, but never long-ish stays. Anyone else have experiences with rentals by owners?
Look into getting your Alcatraz tickets ASAP. They sell out months ahead of time and are basically impossible to get once you get there.

ExPatriatePen

Travel Thread

Postby ExPatriatePen » Tue May 26, 2015 12:07 pm

anybody ever flown Emirates Air? I found a deal of $700 from JFK to Milan for my fall trip to Italy. google research on that airline looks good but I'd like some first-hand accounts.
Logically, you shouldn't have to worry about terrorists :pop:
Seriously though, EA is one of the best in the world as far as comfort and service. You'll be fine.

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 26, 2015 12:51 pm

Source of the post Look into getting your Alcatraz tickets ASAP. They sell out months ahead of time and are basically impossible to get once you get there.
Done back in March, as soon as the 90 day window opened up. Also, we got it as part of a transit pass for the week. We'll only rent a car to get out to "Endor."

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 26, 2015 1:14 pm

Source of the post Look into getting your Alcatraz tickets ASAP. They sell out months ahead of time and are basically impossible to get once you get there.
Done back in March, as soon as the 90 day window opened up. Also, we got it as part of a transit pass for the week. We'll only rent a car to get out to "Endor."
did you get just the regular Alcatraz tickets or the tour where you have a guide, I think it's a night tour? we had tickets for the guided night tour when we were in the Bay Area for USA Hockey Nationals a few years ago. unfortunately (or fortunately) we made the finals and it would've been almost impossible to make our tour time. the people at Alcatraz Cruises were fantastic though and refunded our tickets. :thumb:

DigitalGypsy66

Travel Thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue May 26, 2015 2:25 pm

No, this is a standard day tour. Night tour would've been cool though...

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 26, 2015 3:14 pm

No, this is a standard day tour. Night tour would've been cool though...
you might give them a call and see if you can switch. everything I read said that the night tour was better mainly because you got to see areas the regular tour doesn't allow and it's lead by docents who have a TON of knowledge about the island.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 26, 2015 4:46 pm

we had tickets for the guided night tour when we were in the Bay Area for USA Hockey Nationals a few years ago. unfortunately (or fortunately) we made the finals and it would've been almost impossible to make our tour time. the people at Alcatraz Cruises were fantastic though and refunded our tickets.
I read this as, "We didn't think our hockey team was good enough to make the finals, so we booked some sightseeing stuff." :P

Pavement

Travel Thread

Postby Pavement » Tue May 26, 2015 5:01 pm

I'm on an overnighter to Belfast for work which means little opportunity to see the city unfortunately.

Flights were ridiculously cheap though so might be worth a visit with my good lady at some point.

Craig

Travel Thread

Postby Craig » Tue May 26, 2015 6:20 pm

So the place we stayed at in St. Pete offered to give us a mother 3 night/4 day trip for less than the cost of one night this stay. Pretty nice resort. I looked at the sheet they were having us fill out and it was one of those sales trips where they give you a sales pitch on a condo or whatever. I looked at the fine print and found something to the effect of "Maryland residents do not need to attend the sales presentation associated with this offer". This peaked my interest so i perused the rest of the fine print. That 120 minute presentation seems to have been the only "string". We took the offer. It will be lulz if they try to make me attend that.

shoeshine boy

Travel Thread

Postby shoeshine boy » Wed May 27, 2015 9:11 am

we had tickets for the guided night tour when we were in the Bay Area for USA Hockey Nationals a few years ago. unfortunately (or fortunately) we made the finals and it would've been almost impossible to make our tour time. the people at Alcatraz Cruises were fantastic though and refunded our tickets.
I read this as, "We didn't think our hockey team was good enough to make the finals, so we booked some sightseeing stuff." :P
yeah, that was pretty much it. no one ever expects the teams from the Southeast to make Finals at Nationals. sadly we lost on one of the flukiest goals ever so instead of Alcatraz we went to Pier 39 and did Sake Bombs. :D