Travel Thread

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 am

That drive from Niagra to Toronto is misery. You can see Toronto nearly the entire time but spend eternity driving around the **** lake. Build a damn bridge already.
:thumb: :lol:

Not to mention how damn busy that road is. The congestion once you get north of St. Catherine's sucks. That said, I do enjoy the view across the lake from NOTL and can you imagine how bad that bridge would be traffic wise?

The 401 in Ontario is actually the busiest road in North America. That was surprising but I guess practically their entire population lives in that region.

robbiestoupe

Travel Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:10 am

You may also end up with a CA$20 bill in your mail a few weeks later when you realize you took a toll road.

willeyeam

Travel Thread

Postby willeyeam » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:27 am

can someone spell Niagara right plz

Dickie Dunn

Travel Thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:30 am

can someone spell Niagara right plz
NO!
You may also end up with a CA$20 bill in your mail a few weeks later when you realize you took a toll road.
Took one of their secret toll roads four years ago. They still haven't tracked me down.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:37 am

Flying to Orlando tomorrow and thanks to a completely irrational fear of flying, I'm dreading it.

skullman80

Travel Thread

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:16 pm

That drive from Niagra to Toronto is misery. You can see Toronto nearly the entire time but spend eternity driving around the **** lake. Build a damn bridge already.
Yeah it sucked. 1hr 40minutes. The last few miles were like taking the parkway into Pittsburgh just no tunnels.

The HHOF was fun. CN tower and the aquarium plus random other things now.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:14 pm

Flying to Orlando tomorrow and thanks to a completely irrational fear of flying, I'm dreading it.
Flying is easy. I used to be terrified of flying. Then I took a job where I had to fly every three weeks to Florida. The Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale flights are misery in terms of limited direct flights, usual delays, but the flight time itself is a cake-walk.

My wife is terrified of turbulence. I sleep through it like a baby. I can basically fall asleep before takeoff and wake up as we're landing. No idea why, but man do I get comfortable.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:18 pm

I used to get right to sleep on flights, but starting with our honeymoon trip to Italy, I've just not been able to sleep in flight. I'll get a total of maybe an hour or so on a long-haul flight, and that's in like 5-10 increments.... which is useless.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:21 pm

The only thing I truly hate about flying is the people around me. There's a clear difference now in how I feel between people traveling for business and people on a vacation slowly looking at everything in the airport. Just not a fan of the entire process leading up to sitting on a plan and when I stand up to get off of it.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:23 pm

I've never been able to sleep on any flight, which really sucks when flying across multiple time zones on a red eye. As for flying in general, I really only hate one thing - incompetent/inconsiderate travelers. People who stand in the lanes even though they're boarding on zone 452, people who jump up into the aisles and run for the cabin door upon landing, etc. Jagoffs, the lot of them.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm

Flying is easy. I used to be terrified of flying. Then I took a job where I had to fly every three weeks to Florida. The Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale flights are misery in terms of limited direct flights, usual delays, but the flight time itself is a cake-walk.

My wife is terrified of turbulence. I sleep through it like a baby. I can basically fall asleep before takeoff and wake up as we're landing. No idea why, but man do I get comfortable.
Was it simply a matter of exposure? I don't fly much because of my fear and my fear never gets better because I don't fly much.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:33 pm

I've never been able to sleep on any flight, which really sucks when flying across multiple time zones on a red eye. As for flying in general, I really only hate one thing - incompetent/inconsiderate travelers. People who stand in the lanes even though they're boarding on zone 452, people who jump up into the aisles and run for the cabin door upon landing, etc. Jagoffs, the lot of them.
Ohhh yea. That's one of the reasons I hate the stuff that comes after. People don't wait, they stand up, and then they cut you off when you're trying to get your bags.

Another thing I despise is people who bring a suitcase two sizes too big and gets upset when someone tells you-you're gonna need to check it. We're all dealing with the rules guy, you don't get it different.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:34 pm

Was it simply a matter of exposure? I don't fly much because of my fear and my fear never gets better because I don't fly much.
Probably the number of times I had to do it, with no choice really. I'm more terrified of boating than I am flying, honestly. What specifically are you afraid of when it comes to flying?

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:38 pm

Turbulence doesn't really bother me. But when you're in severe bouncing and people around you start wailing and praying out loud, that can get a little under my skin.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:48 pm

Probably the number of times I had to do it, with no choice really. I'm more terrified of boating than I am flying, honestly. What specifically are you afraid of when it comes to flying?
Crashing.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:53 pm

Oh, the way I look at that? If we're going to crash I'm likely already passed out from de-pressurization, or that few minutes is going to suck until impact then I'm not going to feel a thing.

When is the last time a US plane actually crashed on US soil? I think that worry is overblown, but if it's your time, I'd imagine you're more likely to get killed in a car accident before a plane.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:00 pm

Don’t **** jinx it now ya prick.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm

:lol: Like I said, it's an irrational fear and I know that.

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:08 pm

A fear that many others have, for sure. I’m glad that my daughter loves flying, because I was worried about it since she’s scared of basically everything else. Kid smiles like crazy at takeoff, but ask her to flush a public toilet without covering her ears? Good luck.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:09 pm

Don’t **** jinx it now ya prick.
I can't jinx something without knowing any of his details. I'd likely be jinxing some other plane to go down, then his ride with being incredibly safe with heightened awareness to plane safety.

shafnutz05

Travel Thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:11 pm

A fear that many others have, for sure. I’m glad that my daughter loves flying, because I was worried about it since she’s scared of basically everything else. Kid smiles like crazy at takeoff, but ask her to flush a public toilet without covering her ears? Good luck.
My daughter isn't a fan of those either :lol:

She's been on several flights and it doesn't even faze her at this point.

tifosi77

Travel Thread

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:17 pm

When is the last time a US plane actually crashed on US soil?
It was a while ago, late 2016, iirc. And it wasn't even a crash, it was an engine failure that resulted in an aborted takeoff; plane never left the ground. Only injuries occurred during evacuation.

Morkle

Travel Thread

Postby Morkle » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm

When is the last time a US plane actually crashed on US soil?
It was a while ago, late 2016, iirc. And it wasn't even a crash, it was an engine failure that resulted in an aborted takeoff; plane never left the ground. Only injuries occurred during evacuation.
I remember that US Airways crash when I was a kid pretty vividly because our family was going to Disney via US Air that next week. My dad was terrified and still is of flying.

nocera

Travel Thread

Postby nocera » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:30 pm

Well this isn't really helping...

NTP66

Travel Thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm

Face your fears head on, IMO.